Upgrade Advice Please
Sep 26, 2005 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

falcogreg

New Head-Fier
I currently own a set of SR60's as well as a 1987 set of DT 990's. Quite honestly, the SR60's soundmuch better. I am listening via an X5L into an SR-71. The amp really made a difference with the Grado's so now I'm convinced I need better. I thought the DT990's would do better once amped (and they have) but they still don't sound as good as the SR60's to me. I listen to a lot of progressive rock (Yes, Genesis, ELP, Tull, etc.) as well as other forms of rock (no rap, dance or heavy metal, etc.) I also listen to classical as well as all forms of jazz (sax, acoustic, fusion). I really enjoy listening to various forms of acoustic guitar music (whether it be classical or jazz). So, my question is, where do I go from here?

I'm willing to go used (SR325's, Senn 600, 650, AKG, etc) or new but I'm not sure which can would allow me to get the most out fo what I listen to. I like good bass but not overpowering. I like a "tube" sound (my main rig has tubes). So, what do you guys suggest? Your help would be appreciated.

TIA,
Greg

Sep 26, 2005 at 10:55 PM Post #2 of 5
Last time, I head 990 on Moth tube amp which was awesome. You may want to check out our impression under Ohio mini meet. Only problem is Moth is kinda expensive.

Sep 26, 2005 at 11:01 PM Post #3 of 5
Sep 27, 2005 at 2:12 AM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the info. Keep in mind, mine are from 1987. I'd be willing to bet there have been a few changes over the years. In it's day, these were really good cans. However, progress marches on so the SR60's surpass these older generation. That was the reasoning for the question. What would I like today. I imagine $200 for cans goes a much longer way than the $200 I spent on these all those years ago. So...........what to do now. Still hoping for advice!

Sep 27, 2005 at 2:24 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by falcogreg
I'm willing to go used (SR325's, Senn 600, 650, AKG, etc) or new but I'm not sure which can would allow me to get the most out fo what I listen to. I like good bass but not overpowering. I like a "tube" sound (my main rig has tubes). So, what do you guys suggest? Your help would be appreciated.
TIA,
Greg

I would think the HD600's would sound very nice via the SR71. Very detailed, they have nice deep tight bass and just slightly laid back or having that Tube Sound. I bought refurbs, under $200 and could not tell them from new. I can't vouch for Jazz but they do a good job with acoustic music and Vocals.
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back