Upgrade advice needed
Jun 20, 2017 at 4:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Gary_W

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I've just joined and could do with your thoughts on 'what now?'

Most of my listening is in the car or at home and I'm happy with both setups. What needs a little work is the portable setup. This only used to get occasional use but these days I walk for an hour most nights (I'm respond well to the nagging of a Fitbit) so the portable setup is getting more use.

I have been using a 160g iPod classic with my music ripped as 320 MP3. With this I've been using an aging pair of Shure SE530. The problems:-

1. I've been re-ripping my music as FLAC which the iPod won't support. I'm considering a DAP such as the FIIO X3 - that's roughly the budget I'm comfortable with. I understand that fhey are bringing out version 3 of the X3 next month but are there other models I should consider? If I have a large iPhone, should I just consider a lightening connector instead or is that so far down the food chain vs the DAP that it's not worth considering?

2. Whilst they still work just fine, my Se530 have a split in the insulation of the cable near one of the earpieces. I've repaired it with moulded glue stuff (technical term!) but I think their days are numbered. Shure don't repair them and offered me se535 for £306. Eeeek! In an ideal world, I'd pay £100 -£200. I've noticed that the 1more triples get lots of love and I can get them for £80. For £160 I can get the quads. Sooooo...... how are they rated vs the Se 530? Back in the day, the 530s were very well thought of. I don't mind going for the triples or the quads if they're an upgrade due to time and technology marching on but, if they're not a decent improvement, I suspect I'll instead use the Shures till they die then try to fix them :)

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your advice and thoughts :)

Gary

Jun 20, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #2 of 4
1. I've been re-ripping my music as FLAC which the iPod won't support. I'm considering a DAP such as the FIIO X3 - that's roughly the budget I'm comfortable with. I understand that fhey are bringing out version 3 of the X3 next month but are there other models I should consider? If I have a large iPhone, should I just consider a lightening connector instead or is that so far down the food chain vs the DAP that it's not worth considering?

2. Whilst they still work just fine, my Se530 have a split in the insulation of the cable near one of the earpieces. I've repaired it with moulded glue stuff (technical term!) but I think their days are numbered. Shure don't repair them and offered me se535 for £306. Eeeek! In an ideal world, I'd pay £100 -£200. I've noticed that the 1more triples get lots of love and I can get them for £80. For £160 I can get the quads. Sooooo...... how are they rated vs the Se 530? Back in the day, the 530s were very well thought of. I don't mind going for the triples or the quads if they're an upgrade due to time and technology marching on but, if they're not a decent improvement, I suspect I'll instead use the Shures till they die then try to fix them :)

1. You could turn them into ALAC instead, which the iPod does support. It would save you a lot of money from buying a DAP or DAC/Amp. Either way the Dragonfly Red is a good DAC/Amp for portable use, only downside is that it drains power from your phone. The Oppo Ha-2 is also a really good choice.
  2. I don't know anything about 1more triples or quads so I won't comment though I would imagine the SE530 would be better?

Jun 20, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #3 of 4
Don't know the 530's at all so I don't know their sound signature to help you out. I have the Triple Driver's and have heard the Quads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back