Upgrade advice from HD 598s?
Feb 14, 2016 at 6:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

shan25

New Head-Fier
I bought a pair of 598s after lingering head fi for a while and a love them!! I've had them for 3 months now, but now I want something that's still fairly neutral but with a bit more bass impact. I was thinking this used pair of mad dog pros but I also found a pair of alpha dogs. Are the MDPs a big enough upgrade? Or should i just wait and spring for the alpha dogs when I have the money so i dont have to upgrade anytime soon? I think ideally I wouldn't get anything more expensive than a alpha dog and that it would be good end game for me. (gonna pair these with a O2 amo and ODAC) UPDATE: also debating d5000s with the Lawton mod that I found for cheap

Feb 14, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #2 of 10
  I bought a pair of 598s after lingering head fi for a while and a love them!! I've had them for 3 months now, but now I want something that's still fairly neutral but with a bit more bass impact. I was thinking this used pair of mad dog pros but I also found a pair of alpha dogs. Are the MDPs a big enough upgrade? Or should i just wait and spring for the alpha dogs when I have the money so i dont have to upgrade anytime soon? I think ideally I wouldn't get anything more expensive than a alpha dog and that it would be good end game for me. (gonna pair these with a O2 amo and ODAC)

Have you tried the Sennheiser HD650?

Feb 14, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #3 of 10

If you are upgrading from 598's then Alpha Dogs won't be your end game in no shape or form. If you love the 598's then you are looking for a great "open-back" pair of phones. I have the Alpha Primes and it's like apples and oranges. The dogs are definitely the most amazing closed back choice you have but if you want to stay in the 598 region of closed back phones, I would highly recommend the HD600's (which is a great option with a great price - I own it and I love it - kind of my favorites)! That's the best upgrade imo. It will be like a new world. Also, if you have more money, you can go for HD800s. Note that the HD800s and HD600s (analytical, neutral and flat) are like sisters whereas the HD650s and HD700s are another pair of sisters (brighter, less neutral). Based on your preference, you can choose any. I would go for the first pair of choices. Best wishes. 

Feb 14, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #7 of 10
If you are upgrading from 598's then Alpha Dogs won't be your end game in no shape or form. If you love the 598's then you are looking for a great "open-back" pair of phones. I have the Alpha Primes and it's like apples and oranges. The dogs are definitely the most amazing closed back choice you have but if you want to stay in the 598 region of closed back phones, I would highly recommend the HD600's (which is a great option with a great price - I own it and I love it - kind of my favorites)! That's the best upgrade imo. It will be like a new world. Also, if you have more money, you can go for HD800s. Note that the HD800s and HD600s (analytical, neutral and flat) are like sisters whereas the HD650s and HD700s are another pair of sisters (brighter, less neutral). Based on your preference, you can choose any. I would go for the first pair of choices. Best wishes. 

I loved the soundstage of the 598s, but want something with more bass. Also I found that songs either sounded great on the 598s or a little boring (I think that's from their neutral sound signature?). I was also thinking a pair of d5000s with the Lawton mood that I found for cheap and local

Feb 14, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #8 of 10

If you are considering the d5000s - it means you have some good budget. Given your preference (in the closed back region), I don't think you can do better than the Alpha Dogs. In fact if you keep your eyes open, you may get some bargains on Alpha Primes for 600-700 on eBay. They are sheer divine! 

Feb 15, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #9 of 10
I haven't! I was thinking closed back because my only complaint about the 598s was the lack of bass. Are they as good an option as the others?

Yeah, the HD650 has more quantity and more extended bass than HD598 and it's significantly more resolving and precise across the whole spectrum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back