Upg4ade Schiit modi 2 uber to bifrost - good idea or not worth the $$?
May 8, 2016 at 10:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

rif314

New Head-Fier
The title pretty much says it. I own the modi 2 uber, which schiit even describes as a shrunken bifrost. What i dont particularly like about the modi is its small size - it can be difficult to keep in place with stiff cables.

May 8, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #2 of 17

IMO, not a night and day difference, but on some songs it'll make a dramatic difference but on other tracks, no difference. Whether the 4X the price is worth 5-10% improvement then that's up to you. Changing amps from solid state to tube will have much more effect than upgrading DACs.

Jun 7, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #5 of 17
I went from Modi 2 (non uber) to Bifrost 4490 and it was a massive upgrade. I never heard the Bifrost Uber but I hear the 4490 is much better... and very close to the multibit. Bifrost is a no brainer.

Jun 14, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #8 of 17
I've mentioned this a few times before, but an upgrade from an original Modi to the Bifrost Uber was a very noticeable improvement for me. An upgrade from an original Vali to the Lyr 2.....small difference. And at the time I was running AKG K702s which like a powerful amp.

I spent the money to upgrade the Bifrost to Multibit. Again a significant jump in performance over the Uber.

The latest 4490 Bifrost is supposedly better than the old Uber. If this is the case, I would feel confident that a Modi Uber to Bifrost 4490 should be worthwhile....and upgradeable.

Jun 16, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #15 of 17

Thanks for confirming Bob. Did you get to hear it? Or anyo

No.  I still have a AK4396 Modi 2.   No wyrd or other such device either.  Works well for me (apparently I have been blessed with a clean USB port) but I can't help but wonder what a 4490 Modi or even Bifrost 4490 would add to my setup.  Mmmmmmm......

Then again we're talking about 69 year old ears although <knock on wood> they still measure excellent. 
biggrin.gif

wink.gif

desktop > foobar2000 w/_gl convolver impulse curves > Modi 2 > Polaris >\  HD580 w/HD600 grills, earpad foam liner removed, HM5 velour earpads w/nylon liner & NewFantasia cables
                                                                                             > Vali 1  >/  HD600 w/CustomCansUK ultra low capacitance braided litz wire cables

Users who are viewing this thread

Back