Updates to the DAP market?
Nov 16, 2008 at 9:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

BloodSugar00

Headphoneus Supremus
Just wanting to ensure my awareness of the new releases to the DAP market is complete. I'm aware of these:
  1. Sony: 1) NWZ- S63X/S-73X series; 2) NWZ- E43X series (same design as aforelisted new S-series models but with less features and scope of functionality)
  2. Apple ipod: 1) 7th generation large hard-drive models (dubbed classic since 6th gen); 2) 4th generation ipod nanos (flash-drive based) 3) 2nd generation ipod touch (again flash-drive memory format)
  3. Zune: 1) 2nd generation large hard-drive models; 2) 2nd generation flash-drive models
  4. Creative Zen: 1) X-fi model
  5. iRiver: 1) iRiver SPINN
  6. Samsung: 1) Samsung YP-Q1
  7. Cowon: 1) Cowon O2 (more of a PVP/PMP player); 2) Cowon S9 (on the cards but not yet released, at least outside Korea/Asia)
  8. Trekstor Vibez: 1) New, 32 GB Flash-drive model
This is what I've taken in, largely passively. Is there anything I've missed out there?

Nov 16, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #2 of 9
Samsung latest touchscreen based Yepps...Sandisk Fuze, Clip, etc...and many more

Nov 16, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #4 of 9
Apologies, I did say updates to the DAP market ie new editions from various maunfacturers but I didn't stipulate how new as it were. Since April/May this year (thats when I got my first DAP in the sony NWZ-A829 and, as such, is when I first got a feel for what DAPs were on the market ie sansa clip and fuze was on market then, as was samsung yp-p2).

Nov 16, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Trekstor Vibez: 1) New, 32 GB Flash-drive model

So far the 32 GB is little more than a tease from TrekStor. The 16 and 8 GB flash versions should be out soon. (Amazon.com and JR.com are taking orders).

Nov 16, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by RubenNYC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So far the 32 GB is little more than a tease from TrekStor. The 16 and 8 GB flash versions should be out soon. (Amazon.com and JR.com are taking orders).

Ah. So theres a fresh model/design coming out? By 32 GB I meant the existing Trekstor Vibez, just 32 GB capacity model lol

Nov 17, 2008 at 9:27 AM Post #8 of 9
I think it'd be a mistake to only consider buying things released in the last six months. If you're looking to buy a new player consider all products available.

Nov 17, 2008 at 1:52 PM Post #9 of 9
Thanks for the advice and agreed. Hwever, though not clearly stated, I wasn't comprising this list for that purpose really ie of buying a new player. I was just keen to asimilate all whats new into my radar of awareness of what offerings are out there on the DAP market.

To walkingman, yes, I had forgotton about Archos! As you say though, they are more PMP's than DAPs but would still be interested to know if and what new releases they have come up with (if I remember rightly, they were criticised on Head-fi, rather crucially, for poor SQ- I'd be interested to know if this has been in anyway improved).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back