updated to new thread
May 10, 2012 at 7:48 AM Post #2 of 12
Getting mine soon too. Will post initial impressions in this post.

May 10, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #3 of 12
Any idea what the price (£+$) will be?  Also any release dates yet for them?

Cheers.

May 10, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:
Hm?  Anywhere I can find more info on these?  This is the first I've heard of them.

http://www.meelec.com/product_p/ep-a161p-bk-mee.htm

That is their official webpage for it...  They haven't linked it to their site yet though, but it is around.  I'll post updated impressions when I have the time to.  For the time being, I do have sound impressions up on the MEE fan thread.

May 11, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #7 of 12
Quoting your impressions from your other thread. I do quite agree with a lot of your points by the way. 
Quote:tinyman392
OK, it's been around 3 days since I got the A161s, and after around 50 hours of burn in, I do want to give some impressions to give you guys an idea of how they sound instead of leaving you in the blue :p:

Bass:

1. What wows me the most is what is quantifully (is that a word?  It is now) the least.  The texture...  beautifully delicate in every way possible.  Subtle, but when present really creates a euphoric effect.  However, the sub-bass bass does have a tendency to get lost behind the powerful mids which can take away from this experience.  The impact is quite nice with these IEMs, however, it does lack punch (my definition of punch and impact may differ from yours; read on).  Essentially, this means that you can feel all the impacts, but you can't hear them...  You just feel the bass.

Mids:

1. Energetic, reveiling, transparent.  These describe the mids in a cinch.  The mids are powerful and filled with energy.  However, at times, unlike the ASG-1, they can have too much power to them (I hope this drops a bit with burn in).  The midrange is vocal-focused however, so it will bring out all the energy in just about every single vocalist, male or female.  Midrange detail is really great overall, and clarity is beautiful.  Although the mids can be a bit too much at times, they technically are sound.

Highs:

1. Somewhat recessed in nature in comparison to the lows and mids.  There is good sparkle and separation to them.  They do carry energy of their own, but is overshadowed by the mids a bit.  Detailing is good on them, but not quite as great as the detailing in the low end, or midrange.  The clarity is good if you don't mind listening through the mids to get to them.  Although the weakest link on the A161, the highs do carry great quality to them overall.

***Page 1 updated. 

May 15, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #9 of 12
My sample had arrived yesterday.
I haven't had too much time to listen to them, but they're quite good for their price. My impressions are in the lines of tinyman's impressions.

BTW, the provided tips are really bad in my opinion, they're too soft and quite thin, I didn't manage to get a good enough seal from anyone of them.
Currently, I use the tips which were provided with the A151s, they fit the nozzle, though, a bit stretched; they give me a better seal and comfort.

May 15, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:
I haven't had too much time to listen to them, but they're quite good for their price. My impressions are in the lines of tinyman's impressions.

BTW, the provided tips are really bad in my opinion, they're too soft and quite thin, I didn't manage to get a good enough seal from anyone of them.
Currently, I use the tips which were provided with the A151s, they fit the nozzle, though, a bit stretched; they give me a better seal and comfort.

I actually don't mind these tips...  The single flanges work great for me.  I'm glad they now have two sizes of triple-flanges though, but those didn't do too well for my ear :p

May 15, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

The Sony hybrid tips worked pretty well for me.

May 15, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #12 of 12

The standard single-flange tips are alright, they don't seal too well though. The small triple-flange is the least useful one because it really hurts the treble due to the small bore (which is why I don't like Sony Hybrids with these either). The large triple flange is alright but the double flanges are best. To me they yield the best isolation because of their stiffness and length. Also, the bore size is the biggest of all the tips provided, helping that treble presence. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back