Update: What op-amps for a PPA driving HD650?
Dec 9, 2005 at 1:12 PM Post #2 of 8
TSH4631 for everything, IMO iti s the best OPAmp I ahvetried so far in the PPA topology, a close second is the AD8065

Dec 9, 2005 at 1:28 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
TSH4631 for everything, IMO iti s the best OPAmp I ahvetried so far in the PPA topology, a close second is the AD8065

Well, its nice to know someone else has gotten these chips to work in a PPA, just after hearing them in Jazpers M^3 I just loved the sound of them but when putting them in my PPA they just oscillated like mad and I havnt gotten around to trying too much to get them to work but you've convinced me to have another crack at them, bit late for that tonight but definatly tomorrow
tongue.gif

The 627/637 combo (skip the straight 627's, they dont cut it compared) I have worked well when I listened to the HD650's on my PPA at the Melbourne meet last month and was the best synergy i've been able to get out of it so far with any headphones

Dec 9, 2005 at 4:18 PM Post #4 of 8
A vote for 637 + 627s... agreed on the synergy with HD650s. the 843s sound pretty good but the 637s are just punchier and more lively IMO.

Dec 10, 2005 at 2:02 PM Post #5 of 8
I'm leaning to that direction. Funny that, how my mind always end up choosing the most expensive option, even when not knowing the cost in advance. :frowning2: Poor wallet.

Dec 11, 2005 at 10:50 PM Post #6 of 8
then go and burn your money
evil_smiley.gif
wink.gif

the 637/627 are among the best opamps for audio, no doubt, any many people like them. Personally speaking, I think they are a little over-rated and too expensive.

The THS4631 is excellent, too. It delivers a tight and well defined bass, the dc-offset is a little higher than with other opamps (around 5 to 10mV instead 2 or 3 mV) but still small enough that you don't have to worry. I got it working in my M³ and PPAv2 as well (with lots of bypassing).

Concerning the ad8610 / ad8065 I'd pick the ad8065, it's not that bright and a little warmer sounding.

Another very good chip is ad744, for about $5/ea. a very good investment, especially with the output stage bypassed. With the output stage bypassed you have to disable the opamp class-A bias parts. Socket the R10 resistors for opamp rolling or save some further bucks by omitting the complete opamp bias parts.

Dec 14, 2005 at 10:41 AM Post #7 of 8
Seems the 627/637 combo is winning, and I've bought some off ebay. I'll propably try others eventually, so I guess I'll keep an eye open for the other interesting alternatives as well.

Dec 14, 2005 at 12:48 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by steinchen
Another very good chip is ad744, for about $5/ea. a very good investment, especially with the output stage bypassed. With the output stage bypassed you have to disable the opamp class-A bias parts.

I'm entrenched in the 627/637 class.
But I had ther AD744s in for nearly a year, and it was a close match. They are that good when you take the output from the compensation pin. Cheap enough to give them a shot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back