*update*What...FedEx stole my package!!!!
Aug 11, 2007 at 3:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 80

oicdn

Headphoneus Supremus
*update is on last page*

I shoulda kinda expected it. I shipped out 3 things yesterday via FedEx. Boomana's Hornet, a Chain tool, and a Diamond ring.

Hornet arrived fine, chain tool arrived fine. Diamond ring...What...missing on arrival??!??!??

I was shipping stuff out, and as Boomana saw, or anybody else I ship things to, package very well.

So I had a couple bubble mailers for the ring. I get to FedEx and the lady tells me in order to ship Express overnight, it needs to be in an envelope. So I then put it into an envelope, and then she tells me, the declared value is too high for an envelope, so it had to be put in a box. So I proceed to put it into a box.

The offbeat part is the lady asked me "because of the declared value, I need to know what's in the package..." What? Really? I never been asked that. So I ask her does she really, she says yes, so I tell her a diamond ring.

Package arrives in California while I'm at work, and I recieve a NASTY voicemail saying she's going to sue me, she's called a lawyer, etc...

I finally call her back, and she says the package was mangled, there were a couple envelopes, but there was nothing there except a paper ring box (you know, the white box the actual ring wooden box comes in.), he believes nobody and has a witness of when she opened the package (as always apparently), and she's still pretty adament about me being a liar. Nothing else in the box. No ring, no box, no paperwork, just an empty white box. She's accusing me of not shipping anything out, suing me, etc.....I dunno what to do as the funds have already been allocated....I don't think she'll be patient enough to wait till FedEx gets this sorted out. But paypal has already placed the funds on hold, and now, I'm going to get a returned check because I transferred money over and paid my unexpected expense.

What do I do? Do I just close the dispute, and let paypal give her her money back while I sit her twiddling my thumbs hoping to god FedEx reimburses me??? What about my returned check fees, and other fees placed due to insuffient funds since Paypal has seized the funds before it could be transferred over to my account?

Aug 11, 2007 at 3:41 AM Post #2 of 80
Go back to Fedex and see if that girl is still there, find out her name, phone number, home address everything. Then beat her down in the parking lot.

Aug 11, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #4 of 80
Man...it seems like if it's not one thing, it's another. First the Hornet debacle, then the unexpected fincancial crap...and now this...What?

Aug 11, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #5 of 80
Is there anything wrong with LYING about what's in the package? When I had my iMod and other things shipped around the US of A, I wrote vague stuff like "MP3 Player."

Sorry to hear about your bad luck shipping streak, oicdn. Hope a quick solution comes along fast.

Aug 11, 2007 at 4:19 AM Post #6 of 80
But see, I don't want it to be to vague where it bites me in the ass later, like it could have possibly if I just said "ring" or "jewelry". I could have been more descriptive like ".80 carat diamond ring", but now I'm just being feceitious.

But honestly...this is crappy. And it sucks, cause it cost me $50 to ship that thing overnight...yikes.

Aug 11, 2007 at 4:50 AM Post #7 of 80
Fed Ex did not need to know what was in the package. They only need to know for international shipments for customs. I worked at a shipping company for 2 years and we had many people ship out packages worth $10K to $20K and we never had to ask what was in it. And no it didn't have to be placed in a box to be insured for a high amount. If she ask what was in it, it was just her curiosity.

Aug 11, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #8 of 80
damaged goods on overnight FedEx? wow..1st time I have ever heard of things like this. I assume the ring is insured, and you have the photo of the package as arrived at her place, and you filed a timely claim. FedEx is usually pretty good about paying if you can show that the package arrived damaged/missing.

GL!

Aug 11, 2007 at 4:59 AM Post #9 of 80
Well, she apparently has tons of pictures and whatnot. She was very threatening and condecending when I was talking to her. She also made it abundantly clear that $1500 isn't alot of money to her, but when she sues me, she's getting much more than $1500 back if she has to. She was a pretty bitter person. I know I would be over $1500, heck I was over $280, but there was no need to be *****hole-ish about it and not calling me first.

I'm going to call fedex tomorrow and hopefully all this is sorted out. She said she's keeping the package and contents for if fedex wants it, but she seemed like she wanted nothing to do with helping resolve this at all, and just wanted her money back ASAP.

Aug 11, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #10 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, she apparently has tons of pictures and whatnot. She was very threatening and condecending when I was talking to her. She also made it abundantly clear that $1500 isn't alot of money to her, but when she sues me, she's getting much more than $1500 back if she has to. She was a pretty bitter person. I know I would be over $1500, heck I was over $280, but there was no need to be *****hole-ish about it and not calling me first.

I'm going to call fedex tomorrow and hopefully all this is sorted out. She said she's keeping the package and contents for if fedex wants it, but she seemed like she wanted nothing to do with helping resolve this at all, and just wanted her money back ASAP.

she wishes she can get more than $1500 back
wink.gif
I actually feel kind of bad for the buyer as she almost has no recourse, aside from working with you and FedEx. Yeah..sometimes life sucks.

The way I see it, you shouldn't give her money back until you get paid by FedEx since you have already kept your end of the bargain, which is to ship the goods promptly and with due care.

Aug 11, 2007 at 5:10 AM Post #11 of 80
Yeah...I escalated the paypal claim to a dispute to keep the money in limbo.

Well, I have a tracking number on my end....and that's really it. She seems to have witness', pictures, the packaging, everything...kinda seems like I got the short end of the stick especially considering Paypal took the money back and put it on hold...

Aug 11, 2007 at 5:15 AM Post #12 of 80
Uh.. you've considered the other option right?
She took the ring out then took pictures of the empty packaging

Don't end the paypal dispute and refund her yet.. and see what happens in the next few days

Aug 11, 2007 at 5:15 AM Post #13 of 80
Quote:

Well, I have a tracking number on my end....and that's really it. She seems to have witness', pictures, the packaging, everything...kinda seems like I got the short end of the stick especially considering Paypal took the money back and put it on hold...

Well, that's paypal screwing you over, which is expected since you're the seller.

You're at the mercy of Fedex. I'd think you should have a pretty good case, but I have no first hand experience with a case like this.

Aug 11, 2007 at 5:17 AM Post #14 of 80
Quote:

Yeah...I escalated the paypal claim to a dispute to keep the money in limbo.

Actually what she did will help you get your claim. Did you already ask her for all the photo she took? I would probably ask her to give a statement, maybe even notarized (if you want to be super careful, ask for an affidavit - she needs to go to an attorney for that IIRC), that the package arrived with missing item. I assume you have some form of proof for the value of the item (of course you do! you got your paypal records
wink.gif
FedEx is usually pretty good about claims.

It might be worth while for you to do a conference call with her on the other end when you are speaking with the FedEx claims department. This will calm her down a bit, I hope.

GL

Aug 11, 2007 at 5:20 AM Post #15 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uh.. you've considered the other option right?
She took the ring out then took pictures of the empty packaging

Don't end the paypal dispute and refund her yet.. and see what happens in the next few days

So what are you suppose to do? File a police report? Even if she stole the goods, FedEx need to file the police report, not the seller, if my logic is correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back