UPDATE: Toshiba G20SS Concept HDD Player
Aug 6, 2003 at 5:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

PeterDLai

Headphoneus Supremus
Click here for the updated page!

The 500 means 500 CDs; they're probably trying to impress the majority of music listeners who do not know what a "gigabyte" or whatever is. They assumed a low 10 songs per CD, meaning 5000 songs. If each song is about 4 MB, that'll be 20,000 MB, or about 20 GB (I think that's what it says, I don't read Japanese or anything though).

Makes sense though, G20SS.

If you also look in the background of the 13 and 500 pages, you'll see a slim preview of the player. The screen seems a little small.

The next date is 8/12 for the number: 10. 10 hour battery life? Perhaps. Who knows.

Aug 6, 2003 at 5:46 AM Post #2 of 10
4mb per song..? not if you like music to actually sound good, and stuff like that. A common marketing tactic though, but really, how many people willing to spend $300 - $500 on an MP3 player can't figure this out? regardless, competition is always good, hopefully toshiba will price it more like Zen then iPod.

Aug 6, 2003 at 8:15 AM Post #4 of 10
Yeah I'm just basing on what people download off of major filesharing clients.. the majority of the files are 128 kbit maybe somewhat close to 192 kbit too, which made the average song like 4-5 MB.

I don't know though, whatever heh. Someone Japanese translate that. I'm guessing it's supposed to mean 20 GB though I do not see "20 GB" anywhere on that page.

Hmm I'm starting to feel like waiting for iRiver iHP-200, or maybe Rio Karma. It looks cute.

Aug 8, 2003 at 6:46 AM Post #5 of 10
well...im chinese (and can also read/write chinese), and since almost half of japanese letters are from chinese, i can read half of it....
on that page about the music size, it says something like this:
"WMA/MP3 format, 128kbps, each song 4 minutes long, 10 songs in each CD"

so that means 5000 songs at either WMA/MP3 at 128kbps, so a good 4MB per song, 4MB x 5000 = 20,000MB...20gig...

Aug 8, 2003 at 7:51 AM Post #7 of 10
I'm Taiwanese, does fluent Chinese, and speaks Japanese... no wonder mom complained that I "should" be competitive in the job market.
biggrin.gif

Oh wait, some of our T-board friends said they speak six languages. My bad.
tongue.gif

Despite the "Concept" terminology, the website is a teaser ad campaign for a finished product. Earlier reports said it'll be officially announced on the last date listed on the site - August 21.

In July, Toshiba claimed that this player will have the largest capacity of any 1.8" HDD audio player (see the "number 1" page). While this would imply at least 30 or 40GB... they now make a 5000-song claim, so I don't know.

The 13mm thickness is a bit taller than the silver portion on the 3G iPods.

The "5000 song" claim @ 128kbps is just so that people would have a better idea of the hard drive's capacity - the same reason Apple would use 128kbps AAC to imply "7000 songs in your pocket." They've got to base their claims on something, and they choose 128kbps.

Aug 8, 2003 at 7:58 AM Post #8 of 10
hey im taiwanese too
biggrin.gif

and also fluent in both chinese and taiwanese, anc can also read and write...guessing that's the good thing of being a FOB
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 8, 2003 at 7:24 PM Post #9 of 10
Yeah, I really need to learn Taiwanese... right now I only make people laugh when I attempt those.
tongue.gif

Toshiba's never had much luck with portable audio. They even registered a "Walky" brand before Sony registered "Walkman," though. Can't they use Walky instead of that silly Mobiphile name?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back