[Update]IEM or small headphones for working out, going to class, etc..
Jan 14, 2012 at 10:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

matase

New Head-Fier
Hello Forum.  I am in a need of headphones for all around use, but I want something gym friendly.  I don't want something bulky, I think it looks kind of funny when guys come in with full over the ear headphones to work out, not too mention they can be cumbersome to take off and on and transport.  I have icemat siberia headphones that I bought a long time ago for gaming but they're falling apart, not that I ever wore them outside my house because they look stupid, but the sound is so much better than my current on the go apple headphones lol.
So I was thinking maybe to get akg 518 le for on ear headphones or brainwavz M1 as IEM? I want bass and looks.  $80 limit

Update: need more durable IEM for less than $100.

Jan 14, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #2 of 7
if you want to go cheap,you can get the JVC HAFX1X IE for around $25. It sounds great with plenty of bass after it has an extensive burn in. other IEMs you might want to consider are the Meelectronics M31($30 or so?) and the Soundmagic E10($40). It is hard to get good strong bass from a compact headphone. The smallest headphone I have heard with good bass is the JVC HAS650($34 on Amazon).

Jan 15, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #3 of 7
I am willing to spend a little more than what you recommended.  I was looking at klipsch S4, SuperFi 5(little too expensive but would get them if they're better than others), CX300B, or Denon AH-C360 or Koss KDX300?

Jan 15, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #4 of 7
I have the Cx300B. It is okay, but nothing great. I bought it when it was on sale a few years ago for $20. Today for around $20 or so there are much better choices such as the meeelectronics M21, or for even more bass the M31. For more neutral sound, the CX21 or CX31 look interesting for around $25.

The Klipsch S4  imo looks to be overpriced. The Koss KDX300 looks interesting, as does the Brainwavz and the Soundmagic E10.

Jan 15, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #5 of 7
Take whatever I say with a grain of salt as I only come here when looking for new headphones.

In 2010, I was looking for my first set and went with the Denon C710 as I mostly listen to hip hop and wanted a bassier, although still good overall sound.  Last year, I lost that pair and quickly replaced them with the Klipsch S4 as I was trying to decide between these two originally.  The S4's had a good, bassy sound (I haven't listened to any high-end IEMs to really know what good is) and were comfortable.  I never wore them in the gym however since they would slip out of my ears and they were heavy in microphonics.

Again, recently, I lost that pair.  I came here again to research and decided on the Shure SE215.  These are actually my favorite of the bunch.  They have great sound compared to the others I've had and are extremely comfortable.  I actually wear these to the gym daily.  I never have to readjust them and there's no microphonics since I can easily wear them over the ear.  They are slightly over your price range ($100), but I think they are worth it.  The only problem I've had with them is the cable is really long, but I usually put the excess in my pocket with my music player.

Long story short: I'd recommend the Shure SE215.  Good sound, comfortable, don't fall out.  Good for the gym.

Hopefully, I don't lose these too!

Jan 18, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #6 of 7
I decided to buy UE700 because I got them for $99 dollars.  They are great but as I wanted IEM also for the gym, they are not that durable.  I feel like the cable is way too cheap and would break a little after 1 year warranty.  Are there headphones comparable to these and have better durability? I know UE700 have dual drivers so I am not sure if there are headphones in the same ballpark.

I was looking at RE0, since they have kevlar reinforced cable, but I read that the bass is lacking.

Jan 19, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #7 of 7
Imo a better strategy  is to buy less expensive stuff for gym use. There are some decent enough IEMs for around $25. While you are working out, you probably won't even notice the difference between a good $25 IEM and a $100 one. When you are at home sitting in a quiet room is when you will appreciate the sound difference of the better IEM. Besides just  cord damage, perspiration can greatly damage an IEM. So can dropping it. Using a good cheap mp3 player like a Sandisk clip+ or Clip Zip would be a good idea while working out. Some people were so unhappy after trashing a $200 player in the gym, and got a $35 Clip+ to replace it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back