Update: got mine...Any Cambridge Audio CD30 Owners care to share?
Jul 1, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by shuttleboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you looking at other manufacturers, like Marantz or Denon? The NAD players look really utilitarian (i.e. not sexy).

I have had two NAD players and both have appealed to me. I own a Marantz DV6001 universal player, but I prefer the NAD redbook players. Just what I'm used to, I guess. Both have been good to me, but I do agree they aren't very handsome players.

Jul 1, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by jojo_b2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a CA 340C. Fortunately I don't have that Clipping problem on tracks. I find that weird considering I didn't hear that on the 640C and 740C most of my friends have. Might ask for an exchange.

For the buzzing problem. I'm guessing its due to a Grounding issue as the unit is using a Figure 8 Inlet with no grounding to a plug. But I checked pictures of the CD30 on the web but it didn't seem to have a grounding post at the back. Might need to get a wire rectly screwed to a screw on the case.
frown.gif

Thanks for the input.

It sure doesn't seem like a grounding issue, because when I engage the drive and play a track, it goes totally silent. At any rate, this one is going back to Spearit. I may exchange it for a 640C. The clipping seems to be an odd problem; it may be inherent in this model - who knows.

Jul 1, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by tattoou2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have had two NAD players and both have appealed to me. I own a Marantz DV6001 universal player, but I prefer the NAD redbook players. Just what I'm used to, I guess. Both have been good to me, but I do agree they aren't very handsome players.

I actually like the looks of NAD players, a lot. Less is more, I say.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by bellbrass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the input.

It sure doesn't seem like a grounding issue, because when I engage the drive and play a track, it goes totally silent. At any rate, this one is going back to Spearit. I may exchange it for a 640C. The clipping seems to be an odd problem; it may be inherent in this model - who knows.

Did you contact Cambridge Audio about the problems to see if they are both design flaws?

I've not heard of Spearit Sound. Are they a good retailer?

Jul 1, 2009 at 2:42 PM Post #20 of 31
I've contacted Spearit Sound about the problem - they were friendly, and told me that they would gladly do an exchange. They also offered to listen to another of the same model to see if it had the same problems with clipping the beginning of songs. I'll post back here when resolution is made.

Jul 1, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

I've contacted Spearit Sound about the problem - they were friendly, and told me that they would gladly do an exchange. They also offered to listen to another of the same model to see if it had the same problems with clipping the beginning of songs. I'll post back here when resolution is made.

Can you post some pictures while you have the unit?

Jul 1, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #23 of 31
Update #2: I had a chat with the sales manager at Spearit Sound. He conformed that their Sonata CD30 demo unit had the same problem with clipping the first fraction of songs. So, this one is going back, and it may be a design flaw or perhaps a bad batch of units. I'm going to exchange it for an Azur 640C v2 and hope for the best. I have to say that the customer service so far has been great with Spearit, and I would be likely to do business with them again.

Jul 1, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

Update #2: I had a chat with the sales manager at Spearit Sound. He conformed that their Sonata CD30 demo unit had the same problem with clipping the first fraction of songs. So, this one is going back, and it may be a design flaw or perhaps a bad batch of units. I'm going to exchange it for an Azur 640C v2 and hope for the best. I have to say that the customer service so far has been great with Spearit, and I would be likely to do business with them again.

Hope you have good luck with the 640C, Stewart.

Jul 1, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

This looks like a great time to get a 640C v2. Evidently Cambridge Audio is introducting a 650C model at $699, so the 640C can be had for $399 (which is a real markdown). It looks like the new model has a new drive mechanism and a different LED, among other things.

Cambridge Audio CD Players

At any rate, the reason I was interested in the CD30 was that it's narrow (10.6 inches wide instead of the usual 17 inches wide). The 640C and similar models are the full size. Getting one of those means losing a lot of desk space.

At least one good thing about the 640C is that it has the dual Wolfson 8740 DAC, the same as in the DacMagic, so I probably wouldn't have to get a separate DAC for it.

Jul 1, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by shuttleboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This looks like a great time to get a 640C v2. Evidently Cambridge Audio is introducting a 650C model at $699, so the 640C can be had for $399 (which is a real markdown). It looks like the new model has a new drive mechanism and a different LED, among other things.

Cambridge Audio CD Players

At any rate, the reason I was interested in the CD30 was that it's narrow (10.6 inches wide instead of the usual 17 inches wide). The 640C and similar models are the full size. Getting one of those means losing a lot of desk space.

At least one good thing about the 640C is that it has the dual Wolfson 8740 DAC, the same as in the DacMagic, so I probably wouldn't have to get a separate DAC for it.

Yep, now is the time to get a 640C v2 if you want a good price. The 650s (as well as all of the new CD players from CA) have a new servo designed for CD players only. I may have it in my Sonata. At any rate, that one is going back, and a 640C is on the way.

Jul 2, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #28 of 31
i'm interested in the Sonata only as a transport using my HR ultra desktop DAC. Just to clarify for me, the clipping of the beginning of songs only occurred when you skipped forward or backwards but not if you were playing an album straight through from start to finish? did you check if the clipping occurred in shuffle play? does it have a shuffle play capability? the buzzing occurs anytime the unit is on wether a cd was loaded or not?
thanks regards

Jul 2, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #29 of 31
squirt,

I wouldn't get a Sonata. The clipping occurs most often (read: nearly always) when advancing to the next track or two. There's also an option with the remote where you can just press the number of the track you wish to hear, and it advances or seeks that track. It clips also when using that option. When you play a disc from the beginning, it usually doesn't clip, but it did so once on a ripped and burned CD I had.
One thing about the remote: if you wish to select a track number greater than 9, you have to use a key function, which is an extra step. You have to press /:/ or whatever button, then a 1 or 2 comes up, then you complete the track number and enter it. e.g. to listen to track 24 only, you have to press /:/ (for one) then press /:/ again (for 2), then 4 = track 24. Why did they design it this way? I have no idea. On my NAD player, you simply pressed 2, then 4. Bingo.
Another irritating thing has come to light: when I press the off switch on the front panel, which is supposed to switch it to a low-power mode, it will come back on after awhile, as if to remind you that you need to play a disc.
smily_headphones1.gif
In order to really turn the thing off, you have to turn the power switch off in the back of the unit, which is more of a hassle. Also, when you open the trey, it closes again after a certain period of time, regardless of whether you have another CD loaded or not. It's a bit of a nuisance for me, because sometimes I open the trey and then hunt for another CD. I understand that it may be a good thing for others, though - keeps the trey from being accidentally hit, etc.
The buzzing has actually gotten more quiet....it was never that loud, but certainly audible. It does have shuffle play capability, though.

Jul 2, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #30 of 31
Stewart, thanks for the info. i don't need a cd player anytime soon so i'll hold off on the sonata. hopefully they'll correct the issues in particular the skipping. not even my cheapo portable does that. i'll see if i can contact caimbridge about this.

regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back