Upcoming Sony Xperia Z. DAC?
Mar 17, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #46 of 88
Quote:
The problem with device convergence is that we are expecting too much from them. I've been using converged devices since the early days of Atom 02, HTC and Dopod phones... None of them were much good at anything. More novelty than usable phones especially. iPhone changed that but still has limitations.

My iPhone 5 is a damn good phone and email on the go client. And the array of apps is staggeringly useful. But is left behind by both my Walkman Z and especially my iBasso DX100 as a music source. My W4Rs sound great from both these DAPs but flat from my phone. You could mate your iPod with a DAC/Amp to get more from your W4Rs but you may as well get a decent DAP as stacking devices is just a pain. If you're going to carry both phone and decent amp may as well make them decent separates and enjoy the best of both.

Just a personal thought based on years of trial and error.

+1. I've had a dozen years of trial and error on my back.

Let me tell you a little about a day in my life in 2003. I remember spending $400-500 buying a bunch of items so that I can
1. record TV shows on my VCR (I'd forgotten why but it couldn't be done straight from my TV output)
2. let an app transcode this show (since I don't have Sony's $400? memory stick recorder)
3. Split the shows across 2, perhaps 3 memory sticks
4. watch on my Sony Clie.

I did all of that exactly once, just once - it was an episode of Waking the Dead. Anyway, my point is this: if I wanted to watch this crossdressing or w/e guy apparently drowning his family in a boat, now in 2013, while I'm on the move, it's clearly a lot easier and a lot cheaper. Regardless of who the enabling parties are, we've come to a point where the greater external environment has conspired to make it feasible and convenient to do so. I don't think we're quite at that spot yet where it's easy breezy to completely switch over to the mobile phone for our portable audio rigs. Every year we get closer but manufacturers are content to generally withhold their breakthrough, unleash a little every year and upsell their achievement by 1500%.

Ideally until we get to that aforementioned point, there's no reason to make a move. Yes, you can be happy earlier than that, whether by strapping the PHA-1 (great form factor for a murder weapon BTW) to your phone or going insanely high-end. But the "might as well" factor, as well as the law of diminishing returns, both loom big and hard, and that's worth considering to every single one of you who's reading this. Doing everything in your power is not necessarily the best policy, even if its drawbacks are few and inconsequential.

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #47 of 88
Will I be getting a better sound quality from these smartphones(Xperia Z,HTC ONE) than compared to the latest Ipod Touch. I just invested in the W4r's (best decision I ever made) , but I just don't think I can spare any more money on a high end player like the DX100.

I know I am not doing any justice to my Westones, but I really need to upgrade my phone. I don't think I can ever demo these phones to check for their sound quality before I buy them. :frowning2:

Mar 18, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #48 of 88
Quote:
Which one has better SQ, Xperia Z or HTC One M7?
Or any other android phone?

Did anyone test both beats audio and Sony's clear audio tech.?
I was taught that HTC has an additional hardware eq. to enhance the sq but I don't know if Xperia has too.

Htc One includes a built in amplifier for beats audio..Dont know whether Sony XZ  or HTC one is better..But have heard the XZ and the quality is great for a smartphone. Htc one hasnt released here.

Mar 19, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #50 of 88
Beats Audio is just software processing/eq'ing, can't match hardware chip, like Wolfson DAC.  My current phone is dying after a brief moment in hot noodle soup bath and am in the market for a replacement phone/pmp.  I always loved Sony Walkman and I still do have S545 with E17.  I was hoping Xperia Z used same or better DAC.  I am looking for either HTC One, LG Optimus G Pro, Galaxy S4 or Xperia Z (stilll considering it).

Does anyone know what DAC is in some of these phones?

Mar 19, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #51 of 88
Quote:
Beats Audio is just software processing/eq'ing, can't match hardware chip, like Wolfson DAC.  My current phone is dying after a brief moment in hot noodle soup bath and am in the market for a replacement phone/pmp.  I always loved Sony Walkman and I still do have S545 with E17.  I was hoping Xperia Z used same or better DAC.  I am looking for either HTC One, LG Optimus G Pro, Galaxy S4 or Xperia Z (stilll considering it).

Does anyone know what DAC is in some of these phones?

HTC One and One X+ have built in amplifier, phones before them don't. (That's what HTC says).

Mar 26, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #52 of 88
has anyone compared the stock walkman player on the z with other apps from the market eg play music or poweramp? both on flat settings, i'm wondering if there is any noticeable audio difference via headphones?

Mar 26, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #53 of 88
It seems that the HTC One is the bestest music paying Android phone available,...maybe even beating the iPhone 5G perhaps? I'd luv to see some RMAA graphs on it,...that would be killer!!! It even has nice hp out volume levels,...a winner IMO.

Mar 26, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #54 of 88
'beats audio' for me is a problem. you either have it on or off. if you have it on you cannot adjust the eq. you have to stick with how it sounds. if you have it off, again there is no eq you can adjust. not very flexible really/

Mar 26, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #55 of 88
Then just install an app of your choice, ignore the Beats Audio, and enjoy!!! You don't have to use it, and there's tons of apps with an EQ if you feel you need it. The HTC One is still an excellent device.

Mar 26, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #56 of 88
Quote:
The problem with device convergence is that we are expecting too much from them. I've been using converged devices since the early days of Atom 02, HTC and Dopod phones... None of them were much good at anything. More novelty than usable phones especially. iPhone changed that but still has limitations.

My iPhone 5 is a damn good phone and email on the go client. And the array of apps is staggeringly useful. But is left behind by both my Walkman Z and especially my iBasso DX100 as a music source. My W4Rs sound great from both these DAPs but flat from my phone. You could mate your iPod with a DAC/Amp to get more from your W4Rs but you may as well get a decent DAP as stacking devices is just a pain. If you're going to carry both phone and decent amp may as well make them decent separates and enjoy the best of both.

Just a personal thought based on years of trial and error.

This is what I'm fighting/ hoping would diminish sooner than later. A dam shame.A dedicated high end music player is off the tables for me, and I NEED a new phone, along with a PMP (ie portable MEDIA player) but hey all skimp in one area or another, too much to just swallow (for me anyways. The Walkman Z with added lte radios, updated modern screen and soc/processor gpu combo doesn't seem so obscene considering how much the unlocked Z actually costs, but maybe I'm to progressive in my thinking : /

Two smart phones, one as a phone the other as my PMP. I could turn the radio off in the PMP dedicated unit and be a media hungry junkie without my family thinking I've be hijacked and ran over by a 747 because my phone didn't last 5 hours because I was listening to Opeth and Corelia in pristine quality while keeping up with the world, (I am a techie) telling my friends whats what, and editing films in a lab 15 hours strait!

Case and point... Sony you made the walkman. Apply that at the hardware level to all you make.
mad.gif
 You're making this hard for me (and many others who are paying attention)

/rant 
ksc75smile.gif

Mar 31, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #60 of 88
The HTC M7 definitely sounds better to these ears...

The Z sounds a bit flat by contrast, and has very little power in comparison to the HTC (whether the beats EQ is on or off, the result is still the same)...

One thing that puzzles me is that even the Bluetooth (using the Sony MW1) is more powerful / louder via the HTC than the XZ...  I don't know how that works!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back