Up to date trance headphones review ?
Dec 29, 2008 at 1:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Rakooon

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys !
First of all let me tell you that you're all making this site THE reference #1
when it come to buy headphone.Even for someone like me who didn't know
anything about these thing but that they goes on my head !
L3000.gif

I'm looking for the best model i can get for TRANCE MUSIC.(I know there's already been a thread about this exact question but its been quite a while...)By what i have read, i've made a list of what i think should fit my need.I mainly have 2 kind of utilisation; for mixing compilation CDs with softwares,and when not mixing,storm my head away with those marvelous and euphoric sounds.So im looking for headphones with hi-quality sound but tough enough to take LOUD listening.Not ridiculously loud, but still,somethings that can take some.Here's the list... i think what i'm looking for is in it, if i'm mistaking,plz let me know!
I'm asking this cause i can't test these headphones myself around me.... and you guys seem to have hear'em all so....
bigsmile_face.gif
Thousand Thx !
(Btw, i can only consider close headphones.)

ATH-PRO700 SV
ATH-AD700
ATH-A700 (are the 900 series discontinued ??)
AKG181DJ
AKG702 Studio (im not sure about these but ...)
Ultrasone Pro750 (ALMOST bought them !but finally wait..)
Ultrasone Pro550
M-audio Studiophile Q40
Denon AH-D2000
Beyer Dynamic DT770 (is a 250 ohms would be ok with a laptop ?)

Or if you guys think i should stay with regulars DJ headphones:

Technics RP-DH1200
Denon DN-HP1000
Allen & Heath Xone XD-53
Sony MDR-V700DJ

Wallet: Around 500 $ Can. Tax in.
400 $ U.S
300 €
280 £

Dec 29, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #2 of 16
I would take out the ATH AD700 (very open airy cans, and very little bass) and the Denon d2000 (closed but hardly any isolation) from your list.

I would look closely at the DT 770/80 PRO version and the dj cans you mentioned below

Dec 29, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #3 of 16
You can get a new A900 at audiocubes
http://www.audiocubes.com/category/H...eadphones.html

The now out of production A900LTD has been one of my favorites since I received it.

The Denon I've heard are the d1001k and d2000 with APS cable, both would meet your needs. The d1001k has tighter bass than its bigger brother.

The DT770 is a great all around 'phone with a nice bass thump.

Dec 29, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #5 of 16
Scrap the AKG 181DJ, those are supposedly wretched cans. I'd also forget about all the DJ phones, they are for DJ's, not for people looking for a good sound. DJ's, and rightfully so, only want two things: Loudness and lots of bass.

AKg 702 are open phones. They're the best of the list, but they're not closed.

I'd look at the Denon D2000 and the Beyer 770. The latter sure has lots of bass, much like a wubwoofer, even from a teensy iPod. And otherwise, just get a cheap little headphone amp!

Dec 29, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #6 of 16
have you considered the sony sa5000? i listen to trance alot and ive often read that they are THE trance headphone (as they are detailed, fast and bright), ive just ordered a pair will give some impressions when they arrive in a few days.
i would also say forget about those dj phones espically as you want to do some mixing.
ive got the pro750 which i like for trance and production, probably not as flat as the 702's but i imagine theyre alot more engaging.

Dec 30, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #7 of 16
1Time;5205663 said:
What sound card or source/amp will you be plugging these headphones into?[/QUOTE

The only info i could find is that i have a "Conexant AC-Link Audio" within a
HP Dv 5000 Laptop.Nothing about what this thing can deliver..... if its what you meant..

Dec 30, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by 00264167 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
have you considered the sony sa5000? i listen to trance alot and ive often read that they are THE trance headphone (as they are detailed, fast and bright), ive just ordered a pair will give some impressions when they arrive in a few days.
i would also say forget about those dj phones espically as you want to do some mixing.
ive got the pro750 which i like for trance and production, probably not as flat as the 702's but i imagine theyre alot more engaging.

Thx to keep me inform about the sa5000 ! And im glad to hear a come back from trance listener about pro750.By what i've seen so far these thing seemed
to be perfect and everything but... more than once i've read that they waren't the best thing you could get with 400 bucks (more or less).
And some little thing about what they could give like power.
Plus i was scared by the 94 SPL ... than i ask myself if it has anything to do with those 40 mm drivers instead of 50 mm or more.(that's why the hesitation with the pro550 model)

Dec 30, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rakooon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thx to keep me inform about the sa5000 ! And im glad to hear a come back from trance listener about pro750.By what i've seen so far these thing seemed
to be perfect and everything but... more than once i've read that they waren't the best thing you could get with 400 bucks (more or less).
And some little thing about what they could give like power.
Plus i was scared by the 94 SPL ... than i ask myself if it has anything to do with those 40 mm drivers instead of 50 mm or more.(that's why the hesitation with the pro550 model)

the pro750 is low impedence and quite easy to drive even from a portable player and if youre going to go for the ultrasone get the highest priced model you can afford as you do get a better sounding headphone by all accounts the higher up the product line you go, theres no need to be concerned about the driver size or spl as the sound quality is better with each model up. if i didnt have the 750 already i would get the pro900 which northernsound.net are quoting $344.

maybe theyre not the absolute best value phone you could get for $400 and the sonys definately have a price premium just because theyre sony but i guess it depends on what sound signiture of a headphone you like, getting the best value headphone for the price might not be the one that provides the best sound for your music.

from what ive read of the other headphones on your list the beyer dt770 is too bass heavy (which would make mixing harder too), 701/702's ive heard too many comments that theyre dull and lack bass which i can believe as theyre quite a flat response, d2000 from what ive read are similar to the pro750 but more laid back not as exciting and with less tight bass than the 750. the rest on your list i didnt consider when looking for a trance orientated headphone.

for trance i would say the pro750s are quite neutral, natural and open sounding (like listening to speakers a few feet away), reasonably detailed, good bass (detailed and just raised slightly above the rest of the frequencies) and very engaging for trance they just keep you listening with their detailed open soundstage. ive done a few trance mixes with them and they dont come out too badly but i usually have to readjust a few sounds on the speakers afterwards as sounds you can hear clearly on the headphones get lost coming through speakers but i think thats only a complement to the clarity of the 750.

Dec 30, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HFI-550/DJ1 Full on party...
wink.gif

smily_headphones1.gif
yep i got the hfi 580, theyre quite similar in their sound to the pro750's but with noticeably louder highs and high mids and a bit more bass too.

theyre fun but i prefer the more balanced sound and comfort of the 750 overall. they are half the price of the 750's though and not a million miles away from its sound.

Dec 31, 2008 at 7:28 AM Post #12 of 16
After reading a couple of thread comparing mainly pro750,hfi780,bt770-880 etc... Im now in doubt about something. Is that possible that for someone who's not exactly a "headfi" (considering my best headphone were "Stanton 2000"),the proline750 could sound ...... to professional .. like dull to me ?(I dont now if TO ANALYTIC could explain what i mean...
confused.gif
) The question is: are my virgin ears could only be pleased by some kind of "easy entertaining" phones like those hfi-780 ??? (At least until im getting used to)
That may look like a weird question but some post really made me asking myself ......
frown.gif

Dec 31, 2008 at 7:31 AM Post #13 of 16
Scroll down this page to see "Similar Threads," and that should help you, methinks.

Dec 31, 2008 at 7:35 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rakooon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After reading a couple of thread comparing mainly pro750,hfi780,bt770-880 etc... Im now in doubt about something. Is that possible that for someone who's not exactly a "headfi" (considering my best headphone were "Stanton 2000"),the proline750 could sound ...... to professional .. like dull to me ?(I dont now if TO ANALYTIC could explain what i mean...
confused.gif
) The question is: are my virgin ears could only be pleased by some kind of "easy entertaining" phones like those hfi-780 ??? (At least until im getting used to)
That may look like a weird question but some post really made me asking myself ......
frown.gif

Based on my use of the Proline 650 and FWIR, I think the Proline 750 would be more analytical than the HFI780 or HFI580, and the later would sound more fun.

Dec 31, 2008 at 11:58 AM Post #15 of 16
I got the AD900 to listen to Trance and Piano.

I personally do not enjoy trance with basshead headphones.

When you listen to Crystal Method, Ferry Corsten, Sander Kleinenberg, Sasha or Chemical Brothers, the bass is already so prominent, basshead headphones just make them explode, you can't hear anything else clearly. I personally don't think there is any need to increase the bass in trance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back