up to 200 EUR setup + Macbook Pro
Feb 9, 2012 at 3:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

lyncks

Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I really want to start listening to music again (life happened in the past years and i totally left out music and reading and all the stuff i used to like), but now im back at it.
So basically im looking for the best entry level setup i could get for up to 200 euros in EU (i can order from amazon.co.uk too).
What i want it for is pink floyd and such music, at least decent isolation (want to work while listening to music), and be semi portable (to take them on a plane)
I was thinking about FIIO E7/10/11 and a pair of HD 380 Pro (which are well under 90 EUR here).
What do you think? Any other options for us poor europeans who can't get headphones cheap like in the US?

Cheers

Feb 11, 2012 at 4:17 AM Post #3 of 7

Got a mate who is running an AKG K550 straight out of his Macbook Pro - he's happy.

Good sound stage for 'Floyd but a little light on bass, still clarity is top notch and they're
 fairly fast sounding cans - nothing muddy about them.

Feb 11, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #4 of 7
If you don't need neutrality, denon d2000 could be worth a shot. They are good with older production music like zeppelin, sabbath and pink floyd. Again these are not neutral, if you want neutrality go with akg k550 or 271.  

Feb 11, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks for the replies guys, but the akgs are really expensive, at least in europe
Will check those denons in depth and hopefully find them here (pretty hard to find good headphones here)
Cheers

Feb 19, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #7 of 7
If you find that volume through your MacBook Pro's headphone port is not enough, I'd think you need an amp more than a DAC. But if you have to get a DAC/amp combo, I'd say wait for E17.

Personally, I couldn't take the wait for E17 (it's likely not going to be available in sufficient quantity until April), so I went for an E11. It was a major improvement to my MacBook Pro compared to my old E7, which was acting as DAC.

E17 would be an improvement over E11 though. The way I see it, E17 has more EQ options (other than just boost bass), it can operate while charging (E11 can't), and from what I have read of early impressions, the amp section is as good as E11, which is to say, it's a good step above E7. I just... couldn't take the wait. Plus E11 is half the price of E17.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back