UP-OCC K501 Recable
Nov 22, 2008 at 4:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

pataburd

Headphoneus Supremus
Just a brief report on the UP-OCC recable that Zach, at Enigma Audio, did for me, by special request. The cable is Ultra Pure Ohno Continuous Cast, 8N, solid core, single crystal silver (for signal) and copper (for return). In hindsight, cryoed wire would have been nice, but this cable was not cryo-treated.

I'm not sure how much break-in time to give this cable, although silver typically takes awhile. After about 50 hours the highs are smoothing out, but still retaining excellent refinement, detail and roundedness. This is not a thin, anemic treble response from the silver wire. Instead, I'm getting exceptional clarity and a tonal purity and openness that is really quite special. Mids are very open and crystal clear. Bass is deep and punctual, and definitely fuller--more foundational and supportive--than what I recall from the stock cable. I am hoping that with an additional 100+ hours the bass will acquire even more weight and definition; but even for now, it's quite respectable, particularly given the K501's inherent roll-off.

Right now, with the Bada PH-12 back down south on Fitz's bench, I'm running the RAM-modded Samsung DVD HD-841, Denon AVR-1905 (headphone out from the a/v receiver), the EVS IC100 (UPOCC copper) interconnects, MAC cables and PowerVar AC conditioners.

Lee Ritenour's "Festival" disc, with its Brazilian, rhythmic flair, sounds excellent. Vocals are incredibly detailed and expresive. Acoustic guitar is presented with wonderful tonal and harmonic character. Bass and drums have impact and dynamics. This UP-OCC recable brings out the best from the K501, preserving their remarkable coherency and expansive soundstage, but adding a level of high frequency refinement, overall detail, speed, bass definition and improved dimensionality over the stock cable.

Another 100 or so hours, I am guessing, should only bring about further improvements. And when the Bada PH-12 returns . . . well, I can only imagine how much better the K501 will sound, then! : )

Thanks again, Zach, for your very solid, professional-looking and quality feeling work on this recable. It really does the K501, my favorite pair of open headphones, sonic justice. : )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back