Up and running but advice sought
Nov 18, 2005 at 2:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

lcrim

Head-Fier
Hi:
I browse this site quite a bit particularly this source forum and I was hoping to get a little help or guidance. I’ve always found this to be a generous place.
I finally put together an admittedly low tech (read inexpensive) PC audio system based on the M-Audio Transit.
Because I work in IT, we have older laptops available as we flip them on a three year basis. I've got a used Dell Latitude C610 w/ a 1GHz PIII processor & 512 MB RAM. I attached a storage drive (300Gig Maxtor) through a PCMCIA USB 2.0 card but the little old laptop using EAC w/ FLAC and Foobar 2K to playback through the Transit then via a fiber cable to the M-Audio Superdac 24/96 just absolutely sings. The playback is quite detailed and the improvement in digital glare and grain is striking. It doesn’t have the soul that good analog playback has but it is a huge improvement for very little cost.
There seems to be sufficient horsepower for all tasks. There is a 804.11G WiFi card in the other PCMCIA slot for net access, I like letting EAC go search the online DB for song titles etc. (I haven't quite worked out the ID3 tagging system to my satisfaction yet). The Transit drivers installed into XP w/o a lot of drama.
I put the Asio dll into the Foobar components directory but it doesn’t appear in the Output settings nor does Kernel streaming but the M-Audio Transit does appear and I selected that. Is there any way to tell if the K-Mixer is interfering and resampleing to its own 48000 rate?
Presently I can rip and play at the same time w/o any audible affect. Any opinions about whether I have enough resources to run Slim Server on this box as well so that I can put a SB3 in my bedroom system ? Would Windows XP allow the same flac file to be used simultaneously by both Foobar and Slim Server?
TIA
Larry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back