Unusual Laptop Headphone Jack Problem
Apr 24, 2013 at 11:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

theruns

New Head-Fier
Hey there guys! So today I was jamming to some sick tunes on my laptop. I had my headphones plugged in so I wouldn't disturb my roommates. all of a sudden the sound switched from my headphones to my laptop speakers.

I quick paused the music and unplugged my headphones and plugged them back in. After a little while, the same thing happened. Finally I just stopped listening to music on my laptop. What the heck is up with it? Is it a faulty connection in the jack?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated! :)

Apr 25, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #2 of 6
Laptop jacks can take a lot of stress, and the internal solder joints can fail, you most likely have a broken solder joint. Easy to fix if you have any soldering skills. If you don't feel comfortable taking it apart, have a service center or local electronics shop check it out for you. if you lived near me I'd fix it for you no charge. Once something is plugged into an external jack, windows will switch to that outlet, and set it as default. You can manually tell your system that the headphone jack is default. Go to control panel, sound, right click on headphones and set device to default. That might keep it from kicking back to speakers, you can also turn off the speakers and not give it a second option to default to.

Apr 25, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the info predatorz! I have been strongly considering getting an external dac as my computer is an hp with the beats audio
angry_face.gif
 which seems to take away the dynamics of the music I'm listening to. I will probably do this in the near future, but until then I'll change the headphone out to default!

thanks a ton!

EDIT: ok so I have been thinking about the whole dac/amp thing and I was wondering, is there a reasonably affordable (sub $150) portable headphone amp I could use as a usb dac?

Apr 25, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
Thanks for the info predatorz! I have been strongly considering getting an external dac as my computer is an hp with the beats audio
angry_face.gif
 which seems to take away the dynamics of the music I'm listening to. I will probably do this in the near future, but until then I'll change the headphone out to default!

thanks a ton!

EDIT: ok so I have been thinking about the whole dac/amp thing and I was wondering, is there a reasonably affordable (sub $150) portable headphone amp I could use as a usb dac?

Beats Audio ruins everything!

As for portable recommendation, you can take a look at Fiio, HRT headstreamer, or Audioengine. 

Apr 25, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Beats Audio ruins everything!

As for portable recommendation, you can take a look at Fiio, HRT headstreamer, or Audioengine. 

I know right!? so I have been looking at the Fiio e07k and I think its super cool. once I get the money I may pull the trigger on one of those and a pair of Grado sr80s. :) I just have one question about the e07k. Do I have to use lossless music files with it? like if I run it through my ipod or laptop does the music have to be different than normal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back