unusual DAC need
Dec 6, 2004 at 7:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

timo_nyc

Head-Fier
I've got both an Airport Extreme and a video processor (iScanHD) which could benefit from a DAC -- but can I get an all-in-one?

For my TV I have been looking for a cheap outboard DAC because my video processor (which sits inbetween my cable TV source and my TV) does not output analog audio (or, because my TV does not have a digital input...I guess folks in my position usually also shell out for a A/V reciever). This has been bumming me out because I don't want to spend a fortune on a DAC, nor do I want a new A/V reciever; I just want to watch the news w/o having to turn on the stereo set.

BUT it looks like a cheap DAC that isn't DYI or ebay doesn't exist, so I got to thinking, could I find a DAC that
• inputs digital coax
• inputs toslink using a mini-toslink to toslink adapter plugged into my Airport Extreme
• outputs RCA analog X2: one set to my stereo receiver, and one set to my TV
• and maybe outputs two digital to analog conversions simultaneously (OK I'm reachin')

Dec 7, 2004 at 1:36 AM Post #2 of 5
What is your budget? You can get a completed DAC-AH for $135 at www.diyclub.biz, and I've recently read good things about it. It has both coaxial and optical inputs, which are switchable. It only has one set of outputs, but you could get splitters.

Dec 7, 2004 at 8:04 PM Post #3 of 5
Wow, thanks -- that might be the ticket.

Do you know of any DACs that process both optical and coax at the same time (that is, don't have a switch)? I know it's odd, but I want to avoid my wife asking why the sound isn't working on the TV after I've been listening to music via the Airport express and forgot to toggle the switch.

Otherwise...I've now learned there's a whole expensive world of DACs...and headphone amps...and my work rig seems like it could use some help...uh-oh...

Dec 7, 2004 at 8:23 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by timo_nyc
Wow, thanks -- that might be the ticket.

Do you know of any DACs that process both optical and coax at the same time (that is, don't have a switch)? I know it's odd, but I want to avoid my wife asking why the sound isn't working on the TV after I've been listening to music via the Airport express and forgot to toggle the switch.

Otherwise...I've now learned there's a whole expensive world of DACs...and headphone amps...and my work rig seems like it could use some help...uh-oh...

ALL YOUR CASH ARE BELONG TO US! XD

Dec 13, 2004 at 5:06 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn
ALL YOUR CASH ARE BELONG TO US! XD

No kidding. I never knew i needed a Bel Canto DAC-2 -- but then I found a "good price" on Audiogon. But I'm taking it to work, along with new headphones!
[and a headphone amp is probably overkill but I'm going to do it!]

For home I think I'll end up with a used MSB Link III. After reading the manual I see that it has both a coax and an optical input, and when it gets a signal from both it uses the coax. So i'll link the Airport Express to the optical, the video processor to the coax, and split the analog output from the DAC to my old receiver (actually, my wife's, hence the reason it's not being upgraded) and to the TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back