Unsure on volume priority with Xonar DG and E11
Jan 18, 2013 at 5:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Axxess+

New Head-Fier
Hey y'all

I have a few questions concerning volume, and how it's supposed to be handled. My portable rig goes this way: HD598/SRH-840 -- > E11 -- > LOD -- > Classic 160GB
However, my computer setup goes this way: HD598/840 -- > E11 -- > Xonar DG
With the portable setup, my volume is controlled through the E11, and that's fine. With my computer setup however, I usually set my amp to a certain point where it doesn't hiss, with max gain on my DG and I would control the volume through Windows. Is there a certain way  should be doing this? I don't feel I'm getting the most of this setup that way. Help?

Jan 19, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:
I have a few questions concerning volume, and how it's supposed to be handled. My portable rig goes this way: HD598/SRH-840 -- > E11 -- > LOD -- > Classic 160GB
However, my computer setup goes this way: HD598/840 -- > E11 -- > Xonar DG
With the portable setup, my volume is controlled through the E11, and that's fine. With my computer setup however, I usually set my amp to a certain point where it doesn't hiss, with max gain on my DG and I would control the volume through Windows. Is there a certain way  should be doing this? I don't feel I'm getting the most of this setup that way. Help?

Have you tried plugging your headphones straight into the Xonar DG?

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
Yeah, but I found the amplification to be not as good as with my E11.

The E11 has a lower impedance then the DG   :)
And a better headphone amplifier then the DG  :)

Personally, with the E11 plugged into the DG.
I would have set the DG's gain on the lowest setting.

And when listening to any 2-channel audio, set the Audio Channel to "2 Channel"
and set the Analog Out to "2 Speakers".

Have you tried using Foobar2000 for music audio?

Did you disable the motherboard's on-board audio? (in the BIOs)

Jan 19, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
The E11 has a lower impedance then the DG   :)
And a better headphone amplifier then the DG  :)

Personally, with the E11 plugged into the DG.
I would have set the DG's gain on the lowest setting.

And when listening to any 2-channel audio, set the Audio Channel to "2 Channel"
and set the Analog Out to "2 Speakers".

Have you tried using Foobar2000 for music audio?

Did you disable the motherboard's on-board audio? (in the BIOs)

Why? I'm curious on how this works.

Jan 19, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
Why? I'm curious on how this works.

Disabling the on-board audio in the bios?
Hit the delete key (or F12?) during the beginning of the computer boot up, to access the bios.
Find the audio setting, might be listed as "HD Audio Controller", switch it to "Disable".
Less chance the on-board audio might(?) interfere with the add-on internal sound card.

Jan 19, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
Disabling the on-board audio in the bios?
Hit the delete key (or F12?) during the beginning of the computer boot up, to access the bios.
Find the audio setting, might be listed as "HD Audio Controller", switch it to "Disable".
Less chance the on-board audio might(?) interfere with the add-on internal sound card.

No, what I put in bold, naturally. 

Jan 19, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #8 of 11
In the Xonar Audio Center, there is an "advanced headphone settings" button (the second to the right, the first one is a speaker test) next to Analog Out, where you can select 2 speakers, headphones, etc. However, if you select 2 speakers, you can (I think) bypass the built-in DRV601 "headphone amplifier", and also the gain setting; this way, you do lose Dolby Headphone, though. Lowering the gain probably just reduces the DAC volume (like it does on the more expensive Essence cards that I know better, at least), but controlling the volume on the PC is normally only a real problem if it audibly increases the noise.

Jan 19, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
In the Xonar Audio Center, there is an "advanced headphone settings" button (the second to the right, the first one is a speaker test) next to Analog Out, where you can select 2 speakers, headphones, etc. However, if you select 2 speakers, you can (I think) bypass the built-in DRV601 "headphone amplifier", and also the gain setting; this way, you do lose Dolby Headphone, though. Lowering the gain probably just reduces the DAC volume (like it does on the more expensive Essence cards that I know better, at least), but controlling the volume on the PC is normally only a real problem if it audibly increases the noise.

If I set my Audio Center to use 2 Speakers, it considerably puts more noise. Hmmm. The low-gain tip works well, though, it gives me a lot more control with volume with my E11.

Jan 19, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
No, what I put in bold, naturally. 

Oops, I guess I missed that bold lettering..
I would guess the lower the gain, the cleaner the signal your going to feed the E11.
I'm not stating it as a well known fact, but just trying to find any little bit of help for better audio quality.

Jan 19, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
Oops, I guess I missed that bold lettering..
I would guess the lower the gain, the cleaner the signal your going to feed the E11.
I'm not stating it as a well known fact, but just trying to find any little bit of help for better audio quality.

Ohh, I get it. Thanks a lot! It seems setting the DG to low-gain and controlling the volume with my amp gives me the best results. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back