Unrippable CDs?
Aug 19, 2007 at 7:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

tpc41

500+ Head-Fier
While in the process of ripping my CD collection, i came across a CD that the computer just wont read. The CD is Steve Winwood - Back in the High Life, and it is label is Island/Columbia. Has anyone herd of CDs that cannot be ripped? When i put it in my computer it spins for about a 2 seconds then it stops. my computer doesn't even recognize that three is a CD in the drive. The CD itself plays fine in my CD player, but the disc itself seems to have an odd ring around the outside. There is a lot of blank space before the CD is actually written. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Aug 19, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #2 of 19
Golly, I just don't know. Did you try using EAC?

Aug 19, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #5 of 19
ok, i put the cd in my other computer and it worked just fine, must have been a compatibility issue with my laptop's cd drive and the cd.

Aug 19, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #6 of 19
dont u use a sharpy to color the outer edge or something? I dont know... i read that somewhere like 2 years ago.

Aug 19, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #7 of 19
I've never experienced a CD that EAC couldn't rip. Some CDs do rip agonizingly slow, like Fear Factory's Transgression, which was ripping so freakin' slow that I just threw the CD away. No biggie, though. I thought the CD sucked anyway.

Aug 19, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by tpc41 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While in the process of ripping my CD collection, i came across a CD that the computer just wont read. The CD is Steve Winwood - Back in the High Life, and it is label is Island/Columbia. Has anyone herd of CDs that cannot be ripped? When i put it in my computer it spins for about a 2 seconds then it stops. my computer doesn't even recognize that three is a CD in the drive. The CD itself plays fine in my CD player, but the disc itself seems to have an odd ring around the outside. There is a lot of blank space before the CD is actually written. Does anyone have any suggestions?

If it's copy protection that's causing the problem then try making an image of the disc, then rip from the image.

Aug 19, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFiRE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it's copy protection that's causing the problem then try making an image of the disc, then rip from the image.

How do you make an image of a disk that is copy protected and if it isn't recognized by the computer. If this is a recent purchase, it could have Sony's root kit copy protection. You're supposed to be able to rip at least one copy of it though. And the computer should recognize it as a CD even if it can't rip it.

Aug 19, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #10 of 19
i have had this happen mostly with data cds which sometime down the line, have just caused windows to either hang or behave extremely slowly, eventually after 30 minutes of the drive trying to spin it up, i would get a crc error, worked when it was just burnt, but some invisible degradation or corruption of the foil is usually to blame.

had it happen to me when i was trying to rip my whitehouse cruise cd to flac few months back, so i had to buy it again as there was no way it was gonna be read, tried multiple pcs, mac just ejected it straight out of its slot, some people claim miracles from these cd buffers, but my guess is that only planes down and erases artifacts in the plastic layering not the recordable biodegradable foil.

mad.gif

Aug 19, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #11 of 19
about five years ago some copy protection was on a few cd's, sony got sued for it I think. Now they are supposedly trying again. Come on lawsuit...*fingers crossed*, but it sounds like the issue was with your laptop's cd burner.

Aug 19, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #12 of 19
the computer doesn't even recognize that a disc is in the drive so i don't know how i would go about making an image of the disc

also when i ripped with my other computer the recording sounded like ass, it was just a bunch of chirps and beeps until about 3 tracks in, then it recorded normally

Aug 20, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #13 of 19
Is this the type of copy protection that auto-loads software that prevents you from accessing the CD? You could try disabling auto-run in windows or hold down shift when inserting the CD into the drive.

Aug 20, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #14 of 19
I've got the same problem with Krishna Das' Live on Earth... my desktop CD drive just plain doesn't recognize it. It's not an autorun problem or anything, it just plain doesn't think there's a CD there. Really annoying.

Aug 20, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #15 of 19
There are software apps that will bypass CD copy protection. This area gets a little gray because of the whole legal thing, so I will continue assuming you all own the CDs. IIRC I have used DVD43 on copy protected CDs that I own with good results.

mods - if anything I posted is against the rules please delete it.

Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back