Unpopular/Uncommon Musical Opinions
Oct 24, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #121 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Plus, DavidMahler's coming all over everything Beatles-related has gotten irritating.

biglaugh.gif
biglaugh.gif
biglaugh.gif

Oct 24, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #122 of 270
Quote:

DavidMahler's coming all over everything Beatles-related has gotten irritating.

Not to me.
I appreciate the effort he puts in on all the polls and threads.
smile.gif

Oct 24, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #123 of 270
Quote:

The Rolling Stones are so godawful that they are unlistenable, to me. Plus, DavidMahler's coming all over everything Beatles-related has gotten irritating.

shhhh Logwed you weren't supposed to speak of my fetishes :wink:

Oct 24, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #124 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think this is controversial at all. It may even be the majority opinion.

Are you folks kidding?
tongue_smile.gif

George matured into a fairly competent songwriter, but there is no way on earth he holds a candle to Lennon or especially McCartney for pure songwriting skill.

going through the rest of the thread now... If you don't like the Rolling Stones, you still might like some other rock and roll. But you don't understand rock and roll.
wink.gif

... Great Gig in the Sky is a great song. Any Colour You Like is better, and Breathe is way better.

... Radiohead /is/ overrated.

... rap is not here to cater to your western european melodic conventions. Before melody, there was rhythm.

... some disco is actually pretty good, e.g., KC & Sunshine band, who wrote good hooks, catchy melodies, and played their own instruments.

... Jim Morrison was a lot of things, but "poet" wasn't one of them.

... Kurt Cobain was a poet, and also a gifted songwriter

... Pink Floyd are frequently self-indulgent, overrated, and fixated on waaaay too much

Oct 24, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #125 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by catachresis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I have to agree with you that most pop-punk is just pop and utterly forgettable at that. But I gotta protest with an existential question that I still grapple with--Can I get a witness?--that we know that X's Los Angeles and Wild Gift, and The Replacements' Sorry Mom, Forgot to Take Out the Trash, and even Husker Du's Zen Arcade are all durable pop, but is it legit to try to stretch punk to them? *sigh* Probably not.

i don't know about x, but 'sorry ma' and 'zen arcade' are all durable pop and it is legit to stretch punk to them.
i'll swear that before any court at any time.

as to the topic: the replacements' 'tim', far from being their high point as often proclaimed, is, in reality, worthless junk. they took out all the trash and were left with what the dog dragged back in. love all their other albums except hootenanny.

Oct 24, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #126 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you folks kidding?
tongue_smile.gif

George matured into a fairly competent songwriter, but there is no way on earth he holds a candle to Lennon or especially McCartney for pure songwriting skill.

going through the rest of the thread now... If you don't like the Rolling Stones, you still might like some other rock and roll. But you don't understand rock and roll.
wink.gif

afraid to comment because out of fear of Logwed throwing tomatoes at me, but I'll take my chances .... :wink:

George wrote 22 of the Beatles 200+ songs. If the highest praise of the Beatles reputation rested on a writer of 10% of their material they would not be regarded so highly. George has about 3 or 4 songs that everyone would regard as some of the Beatles' best material, but that's about it..........in terms of over all public opinion.

In terms of solo career.....I love All Things Must Pass, but I would hardly say his career stands up against McCartney or Lennon's. However, on the basis of The Beatles' 7 year run, he is not the standout songwriter.

Oct 24, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #127 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
afraid to comment because out of fear of Logwed throwing tomatoes at me, but I'll take my chances .... :wink:

I thought that was the point of the thread.
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 24, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #128 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif

He may, but that should not stop you from fighting the good fight. Make as many Beatles threads as you want. Someday this place will catch up to Steve Hoffman's forums, and on that day, we will rejoice and sing the ending to Hey Jude for eternity.
tongue.gif

Oct 24, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #129 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He may, but that should not stop you from fighting the good fight. Make as many Beatles threads as you want. Someday this place will catch up to Steve Hoffman's forums, and on that day, we will rejoice and sing the ending to Hey Jude for eternity.
tongue.gif

hahaha.

That's right, DavidMahler. Take a sad song and make it better.
biggrin.gif

Oct 24, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #130 of 270
Oh my god! Awesome thread. Here comes the list of artist I have absolutely no respect towards and which I think are way over-rated:

The Beatles
Pink Floyd (Utter garbage, I have never heard a single good song from this band)
The Rolling Stones (Okay, I like many songs, but 90% is nothing spectacular)
Black Sabbath
Iron Maiden

Ohh, also, classical music is for elitists who think that listening to this fine form of "art" makes them better than people who only listen to music that´s made to entertain, not to be "art".

Ahh, now I feel good.

Oct 24, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #131 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh my god! Awesome thread. Here comes the list of artist I have absolutely no respect towards and which I think are way over-rated:

The Beatles
Pink Floyd (Utter garbage, I have never heard a single good song from this band)
The Rolling Stones (Okay, I like many songs, but 90% is nothing spectacular)
Black Sabbath
Iron Maiden

Ohh, also, classical music is for elitists who think that listening to this fine form of "art" makes them better than people who only listen to music that´s made to entertain, not to be "art".

Ahh, now I feel good.

That's the spirit.
biggrin.gif

Oct 24, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #133 of 270
Quote:

I only listen to music for entertainment and half of my 2500 CDs are classical. I don't know music theory and don't analyze music, so I can only listen to it for entertainment. Especially live, I find classical music a lot more entertaining than rock. The last couple of rock concerts I've gone to, I've had to leave half way though because it was too loud, even with ear plugs.

That brings up another issue. People like to blame the iPod generation for the loudness war, but IMO it started in the 60s with concerts. Bands like the Who played as loud as they could. There was never much dynamic range in a Who concert and people wanted that when listening at home too. I new people in the 70s and 80s who had 200 watt stereos and cranked it.

Oct 24, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #134 of 270
Quote:

it's a shame, but classical music does have this sort of reputation......if it's any consolation, I'm so ashamed of this reputation it has that in my daily life when I meet someone new I actually hide the fact that I love classical music as to not make someone think I'm like this. I truly love classical music and it is the music I spend most of my time listening to, but I never think it makes me better than someone else.............I do think however that I am lucky to see past its elitist reputation and hear the beauty in it.

Oct 24, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #135 of 270
Quote:

So when I'm walking down the street on my way to lectures on a clear quiet autumn morning listening to Vivaldi, I do it because of the chicks?

You're only feeding the stereotype.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back