Unpopular/Uncommon Musical Opinions
Oct 25, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #166 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It pisses me the f-ck off when people say "rock" and only mean "guitar music made by white people".

Funny since rock & roll was invented by non-white people.

Oct 26, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #167 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by golgi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

True nuff, what with folks like Little Richard, Big Joe Turner, Fats Domino, and Chuck Berry. Undeniably these folks laid down the blueprint for rock n' roll, but its (unfortunately I feel) been predominantly white for approx. 5 decades now. Its no wonder people think Rock n' Roll is guitar music made by white guys... with few exceptions it has been for half a century now.

Oct 26, 2009 at 8:56 AM Post #168 of 270
After seeing a thread about favorite Led Zeppelin albums, I remembered that I hate them too. Over-rated.

Oct 27, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #171 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by golgi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Black british people?
Well I never

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Art for art's sake is one thing.

This is a kind of snobbery. I find it particularly prevalent in excessively pretentious albums. Example : Kid A by Radiohead.
Exercise in pretension and nothing else.
Then all the scene kiddies get in on it and how its all so trendy and hip so they brush their hair to the side, put on skinny leg jeans and start calling themselves hipsters.

Theyre the only people who "understand true music".

Oct 27, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #173 of 270
I've become a large fan of what many music enthusiasts refer to (oh so lovingly, I might add) as 'noise.'

Bands like Set Your Goals, Four Year Strong and Saosin have recently gripped my interest, and I can't even begin to count the amount of arguments I've had with people about my music taste and how much it sucks. That's fine - if they keep at opinion's length. But they don't; go figure.

I apologize for branching off and finding a sound that I personally enjoy, aside from looking at iTunes top ten or listening to my elders pontificate about when rock 'still had meaning.'

On a different note - the 'Indie' scene has me ripping out hairs. I don't care to listen to teenage pedants that made a band simply to "go against the norm" and be "revolutionary." Having dreadful recording quality and a singer that can't sing to save his/her life doesn't make you a transcendent band. It makes you pretentious. I don't like you.

Breathe-out. Breathe-in.

I'm good.
Knack

Oct 27, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #174 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dublo7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or you get the rare "person" that "doesn't really listen to music."

That sets my teeth on edge.

Some people have a condition called "amusia" - and it's not all that rare. Music just sounds like a random collection of noises to them. So it's to be expected that you'll occasionally run into someone who just doesn't like music.

There's a book by Oliver Sacks called "Musicophilia" which is really fascinating for the science-oriented music-lover, he describes many music-related brain disorders like this.

Oct 27, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #175 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a kind of snobbery. I find it particularly prevalent in excessively pretentious albums. Example : Kid A by Radiohead.
Exercise in pretension and nothing else.
Then all the scene kiddies get in on it and how its all so trendy and hip so they brush their hair to the side, put on skinny leg jeans and start calling themselves hipsters.

Theyre the only people who "understand true music".

You'll need to do better than that, Green. Kid A is so far past hipsters that it's now Dad Rock.

Oct 27, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #176 of 270
Haha lol.
biggrin.gif

Oct 27, 2009 at 6:27 AM Post #177 of 270
Here's one especially for this forum-

I haven't heard a single Porcupine Tree song that I like. I've been through 3 albums because of you guys.

I mean, I guess I don't hate em, but they're like the Beatles over here.

Oct 27, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #180 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless I missed one, the kings of head-fi - in number of threads - are The Beatles, Radiohead, and Pink Floyd with 3 pages each. Popular bands like Opeth and Porcupine Tree trail with 2 pages.

Yeah but only the Beatles are actually worth listening to
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back