Unpopular Opinion: I tried Qobuz and it was absolutely horrifying
Oct 26, 2023 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

BrokeAudiophileMan

100+ Head-Fier
I've been with Tidal since 2015 and I realize it's nowhere near the best quality I could get but I'm a sucker for convenience and all my music is on all my devices automatically. Anyways, I had heard several times that Qobuz was somehow better, so I signed up for the free trial and listened to 3 pieces of modern pop that I have heard 10,000 times and have memorized. Horrifying. Qobuz has somehow completely stripped any semblance of dynamic range from the music and boosted everything to 11, I assume so as to artificially amplify the quiet sounds in the music and make non-audiophiles think they're hearing a more resolving piece of music. I was absolutely horrified and cancelled my trial after about 10 minutes of listening. I also took a pot shot at Qobuz on their FB page. Definitely NOT a service for audiophiles. How can anyone possibly like Qobuz?

Oct 27, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #2 of 8
I've been with Tidal since 2015 and I realize it's nowhere near the best quality I could get but I'm a sucker for convenience and all my music is on all my devices automatically. Anyways, I had heard several times that Qobuz was somehow better, so I signed up for the free trial and listened to 3 pieces of modern pop that I have heard 10,000 times and have memorized. Horrifying. Qobuz has somehow completely stripped any semblance of dynamic range from the music and boosted everything to 11, I assume so as to artificially amplify the quiet sounds in the music and make non-audiophiles think they're hearing a more resolving piece of music. I was absolutely horrified and cancelled my trial after about 10 minutes of listening. I also took a pot shot at Qobuz on their FB page. Definitely NOT a service for audiophiles. How can anyone possibly like Qobuz?

Sounds like you may have a configuration issue with your Qobuz install.

Other than that, you are one opinion amongst many. Suggesting that Qobuz is not a quality stream is verifiably false, so no need to take shots at the entire Qobuz customer base. The messaging that "everyone except me doesn't know quality" is absurd.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #3 of 8
That doesn't make any sense to me. There's no way the dynamic range has been messed with by default. There must be a setting enabled that is causing that. I've listened to Tidal and Qobuz side-by-side and heard no noticeable difference, especially with modern music. Qobuz does not level volume by default.

(The only difference I really heard between the two platforms was only one instance where I heard distortion on a classical album on Tidal that I didn't hear on Qobuz [and sent it to others who confirmed I was not imagining it]. Though that may be a problem with a specific album and not an indictment against Tidal but it made me worried what other "problem albums" there might be.)

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #5 of 8
Either clickbait trolling post or genuine skill issue.
How lossless FLAC can lose dynamics if you output it properly via bit-perfect driver and activate Hi-Res streaming in Qobuz setting, may be you just streamed MP3, they have that option too, which could be the default IIRC.

Oct 31, 2023 at 6:57 AM Post #6 of 8
So, let me get this right...instead of troubleshooting your own install, looking in the mirror, and taking responsibility for your own set-up, your immediate, knee-jerk reaction is to blame the software, insult the userbase, and, in order to leave no doubt as to your complete lack of self-awareness, you go on social media and blast the company??

Are you over the age of fifteen? I sincerely hope not. What's the male equivalent to the overly-entitled Karen?? Is it Kenneth? Kevin? Karl? Good lord, man. At least learn to ask for assistance with some humility, and either admit that there's something you may have missed, or else, gasp...a hole in your existing knowledge.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 10:12 PM Post #8 of 8
My only experience with Qobuz? I signed up, used their service and then after trial ended, for some reason my CC wouldn't autorenew. Every 30 days later Qobuz kept having issues autorenewing. I reached out to their customer service and was told they would escalate and then they never get back to me. Weeks later I gave up and closed my Qobuz account.

Quality of the music and the app were great. But customer service is sort of a #1 for me above anything. If you can't put your customer first and respond to them, then you lose customers. Sometimes permanently. That's just my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back