Unofficial V-MODA XL Pads thread.
Nov 18, 2013 at 9:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 145

Allucid

Caution: Incomplete trades.
Hi Head-Fi.
Today I'm posting a thread on the XL pads from V-MODA.
The XL pads add overall comfort and better soundstage to your headphone.
Please add your own input and reviews of the pads, I'll add the best reviews to this post in the thread. The images on V-MODA's website aren't clear at all, so here's some images from my Nikon D3200 DSLR. (38 megapixels)

The XL pads, according to V-MODAs page:

XL Memory Cushion for M-100/LP/LP2

Extra large Memory Cushions designed for the V-MODA Crossfade series

Set of two XL Memory Cushions to fit your Crossfade M-100, Crossfade LP and Crossfade LP2
Made with Ergosoft Memory Foam

XL Pads review:
The XL pads add overall comfort to your LP/LP2/M-100. They also have other 'hidden' features.
The wider pads add a bigger soundstage and better sound, and make the sound feel more 'real'. This is due to the fact the XL pads are more closed off as standard pads.

Overview: much better comfort, better sound, better bass, better soundstage, overral better.
I'd recommend these to anyone. Add your impression of the XL pads below.

The XL pads add overall comfort and stability to your LP/LP2/M-100. They balance the sound and give a wider soundstage, compared to the standard pads, which have a ‘closed’ feel to them. They widen out the soundstage and make the headphone a better experience. You don’t even have to have bigger ears to enjoy them.

Perks
– Wider soundstage
-Sound has a realistic feel to it
- Much better comfort
- Much better noise isolation
-Cheap to buy and maintain

Cons
-Will not help you dodge or listen for a car when you’re blasting music, harder to hear people talking to you (compared to standard pads)
Please add your impression of the pads below.
Images: (V-MODA’ website only has one image, whilst I’ve took a lot more images for future buyers of the XL pads). It’s really worth $20.

I used my LP2s because my M100s are in for repair.

Photos:

Nov 19, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #2 of 145
Bumping this, this thread was requested / asked for by a lot of people.

Nov 19, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #3 of 145
Do they really help with the noise isolation? That would be amazing if they do!

EDIT: To make this sound more gauged to the thread and less of a personal question, can you elaborate on the noise-isolating and comfort aspects of the XL pads? Those two are the main aspects I'm interested in.

Nov 19, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #4 of 145
I added these to my M-100's last night. I was shocked at how much they increased the soundstage. And I agree with the more realistic sound OP mentioned. They are significantly more comfortable, although I was only able to listen to them for about 15 min. Hopefully will listen more tonight

I'm running them with a C&C BH amp.

Nov 19, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #5 of 145
Do they really help with the noise isolation? That would be amazing if they do!

EDIT: To make this sound more gauged to the thread and less of a personal question, can you elaborate on the noise-isolating and comfort aspects of the XL pads? Those two are the main aspects I'm interested in.

Yes, because the standard pads do not have a proper seal. It would also help with sound leaking.

Noise isolation regarding the XL pads have a better seal, with better comfort. The comfort aspect is that the pads are filled with much more memory foam than the standard pads, and 'rounded out' as seen in the photos. The pads are now in a circle instead of being an oval. The 'oval' on the standard pads go over your ears, which causes comfort issues, while the XL pads have no issues in regards to comfort.

Nov 19, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #6 of 145
Yes, because the standard pads do not have a proper seal. It would also help with sound leaking.

Noise isolation regarding the XL pads have a better seal, with better comfort. The comfort aspect is that the pads are filled with much more memory foam than the standard pads, and 'rounded out' as seen in the photos. The pads are now in a circle instead of being an oval. The 'oval' on the standard pads go over your ears, which causes comfort issues, while the XL pads have no issues in regards to comfort.

Sound leaking too? They're perfect. They will be mine. Hopefully on Black Friday. :) Thanks again!

Nov 19, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #7 of 145

Sound leaking too? They're perfect. They will be mine. Hopefully on Black Friday. :) Thanks again!

How much is stuff discounted on black friday?

Nov 19, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #8 of 145

mmm... from my searching, it does not seem like V-Moda does any black friday discounting & they haven't done anything like that in previous years. However, retailers carrying the V-Moda sometimes offer black friday/cyber monday promotions that cover the V-Moda products (I remember that the LPs were heavily discounted on Amazon during one cyber monday one or two years back.)

soooo the XL pads probably will not be discounted lol... which is sad, because I am waiting for a XL pad deal before making the plunge again.

Nov 19, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #9 of 145

mmm... from my searching, it does not seem like V-Moda does any black friday discounting & they haven't done anything like that in previous years. However, retailers carrying the V-Moda sometimes offer black friday/cyber monday promotions that cover the V-Moda products (I remember that the LPs were heavily discounted on Amazon during one cyber monday one or two years back.)

soooo the XL pads probably will not be discounted lol... which is sad, because I am waiting for a XL pad deal before making the plunge again.

XL pads are going for $18 shipped in the US at the moment. Look in headphones for sale / trade.

Nov 19, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #11 of 145
I'm hoping for at least free shipping. I really do not want to pay $5 shipping for a $20 item. As for the XLs in the forum, they are gray, which I don't think goes well with the black M-100s.

I would sell you my pads, but I'm using them. :D

Nov 19, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #13 of 145
Nov 19, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #14 of 145
V-MODA pads are easy to snap on and off. I guess you could buy the grey ones then snap them off when you go outside.

I'm willing to pay the extra $$$ for the black ones haha. These pads address the only problems I have with the headphones. They sound perfect! I'm going to do them right, though, lol. Definitely need the black ones. Hopefully V-Moda does free shipping on Black Friday, or maybe Val could send me a free shipping code so I can buy them for $20 flat? :-D

Fingers crossed both ways!

P.S. - I cannot post in the FS/FT forums yet, so I just wanted to throw this on here; If anyone is interested in selling their new (or barely used), BLACK, XL pads, I'd be interested. PM me if you have any info on obtaining some (other than the V-MODA site). Thanks.

Nov 20, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #15 of 145
COPY PASTA TIME!

I'm LOVING the XL pads. It's a world of difference in comfort(!!!!!!!!!!!!!), soundstage(!!!!!), and balance(!!!!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).. I'm gonna need a good break in period to get those memory cushions suited to my head. I've only had them on for about an hour, but I'm very familiar with these tracks. It's almost as if I upgraded my headphones entirely.
Not a different sound signature per se, but there's a more balanced sound, especially in the mids... I THINK the XL pads extend the bass a bit too unless that's my mind tricking me. There's smoother hump in the mid bass area too, I always felt like there was a dip in the mid bass right before the hump, but that's less obvious now. The highs are SUPER airy and again feel like more extended, they sound less peaky. Mids seem more natural by a large margin. They're still as lush, but they felt a tad restricted with stock pads. Still a little recessed but with the highs being less peaky, that might account for that  the mids have a more natural feel to them. My C&C BH is on a shelf at the moment because I can't find my 1/8" interconnects since moving, and my FiiO LOD didn't survive my pocket so I'm just using my 2nd gen iPod Touch 32gb for a month now cuz my wallet hurts from buying JBL monitors.
I can't imagine how much more the BH pads open up the M-100 cans with the BH. Imaging and width are quite improved, it's actually scary. It adds to the detail since the sound seems wider. 
Discomfort? Not even a consideration here... Clamp has been well burnt into my M-100s, so that said I could use a quick straighten for a second to loosen it up to accommodate for the extra few millimeters of extra pad - I may wait 10-20 hours to do that, to get the cushions flexed a bit to my face. Even without, I feel like I could wear these to sleep, my drivers are not pressing against my ears and my spacers are no longer a concern to tuck into my headphones to get the seal, they kinda just slip in thanks to the flat stitched surface over the dome-type surface of the stock pads.

The stock pads are fantastic and they've won awards and accolade all across the internet. I myself never felt the need to get a new headphone, which is why I left the site for a while (I know, I know), but for a lot of owners of M-100s or LP/2s, they would DEFINITELY benefit from a change in comfort, and a new sound. There's ALWAYS going to be a point of diminishing returns in this hobby; $20 to make it sound, and feel like you've just bought a new headphone from V-Moda ('M-110' ? haha)....... Worth it.

- Me.
Originally posted in the massive M-100 thread, bound to be lost in a sea of chatter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back