Unofficial V-MODA XL Pads thread.
Jan 15, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #31 of 145
Originally Posted by Greggo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think this all goes to show that not only do we all hear things a bit differently, but that the physical interface between headphone, head shape and ear shape can also be a very different and very influential variable between many of us.

Well put!

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #34 of 145
I hope they release an xL pads for the m80s as well. I've been using it for over a year now and the wear and tear are starting to show. I've emailed Vmoda regarding this but they haven't replied yet. :frowning2:

Feb 12, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #35 of 145
Just got my M100 today and am interested in the XL Pads.
I was wondering how much bigger the pads are. I have larger ears and the pads are touching my ears on all sides including the driver. hoping the the pads can fix it, 

btw im sure you all know but m100 is godlike for edm..
Thanks guys.

Feb 13, 2014 at 3:52 AM Post #37 of 145
Feb 18, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #39 of 145
on a semi related note.
Theyre back for sale on the Vmoda Website!! 

=====================

just installed the xl pads. super worth it. dont think about it, just buy it. 
although the installation process is a little.. meh. advice: be careful.

Also I just found out there is another 3.5mm attachment on the other ear.. what happens when i plug a 2 in at the same time... :0

Mar 12, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #40 of 145
  Nice thread...important topic for all V-Moda owners.

Not being a troll or raining on the parade here, but wanted to offer a cautionary tale.  I have a love/hate thing going on with my new XL pads, but it is trending more towards love. First of all, I did not find these things easy to install.  Had trouble removing the stock pads, a little tearing in one, a lot in the other : (    Then had some trouble getting the XL pads to snap in securely.  Ended up using the tip of the headphone plug to very gently press around the edges as I could not get things snapped in with just my finger pressure.  You should see a single seam in the pads, they go at the bottom of the cups, as does the slightly flattened cut of the plastic opening on the inside.  Some slight panic over this as I didn't notice any info on proper orientation of pads until after I was done.  But all was well.

Tried on the headphones without music first, and what an awesome upgrade in comfort!  I was patient with the stock pads and they seemed to work OK with me.  I was coming from an Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 and those things are known to require much patience and experimenting before the pads and your ears find a way to get along with each other.  Also, I have big ears, just barely fit well inside most sennheisers and many new "around ear" designs from other companies end up being "on ear" for me, M-100 included, though the new XL pads give me enough room to squeeze everything in most of the time.

Music was a different experience.  Overwhelming bass and a new sense of thumpy/tubby sound that really ruined things for me.  Did not notice any improvements in mids or treble (not that they needed improving) or in soundstage.  Now granted, I did not find the stock config to be what I imagined a "bass head" headphone would sound like, but the bass was stronger than anything else I had, and in a very good, very satisfying way.  With the new XL pads, I was not satisfied.  It felt a little warmer and isolated as well, felt like I was thrown in a closet with a subwoofer.  I think this all goes to show that not only do we all hear things a bit differently, but that the physical interface between headphone, head shape and ear shape can also be a very different and very influential variable between many of us.

Anyways, I don't know if the pads have compressed a little or just broken in and shaped a little more to my head/ear, but things seem to be moving back in the direction of the stock sound for me which is a good thing.  Bass not quite as ridiculously out of balance with every thing else, and tightening up so that I no longer hear a muddy mess.  I am hoping this evolution continues just a little bit more and all will be perfect.  I can't tell you how impressed I have been with the M-100 in general.  Forget the bass and style points, just in overall sound I think they hold there own with many well known audiophile headphones.  So I am still a big fan, but the pad swap has been a roller coaster for me.  YMMV.

I noticed that you editted your post.

So in regards to things tightening up.

How long did you have your M100's before you switched to XL pads? How long did it take for the bass to tighten up? What genres of music did you test it out with? Do you think this is a physical burn in with your headphones, or brain burn-in?

Mar 12, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #41 of 145
I ran M100 with stock pads for about 2 months... using them an average of roughly 6 hours per week.  Took about a week for things to sound a little better to me making the switch XL pads... definitely not brain burn in because I had other headphones and decent stereo system where I would listen to the same music and easily note the different sound signature.  I don't think the drivers were still burning in but that could still be a possibility I suppose.  I am really convinced the pads simply lost a little bit of fluffiness while also conforming to my ears a little better thus decreasing the captured air volume and also bringing the drivers in a little closer to my ears.

I recently sold the M-100.  I just like a slightly more balanced sound and I am currently saving up for either Senn HD 8 DJ or Shure SRH1540, and leaning more towards the latter.  I really like the M-100 stock sound, but knew that the stock pads were just not going to work for me long term.

I listen to mostly pop music, but do a little folk, jazz, rock, rap and metal as well.  Best example of music genre that I am listening to 80% of the time would be Steely Dan, Toto, Duran Duran, and Lorde.  Feel free to vomit at any point : ) 

I am a late 40's male with good hearing, bass and piano player, and into audio a long time.  I am often complaining the high end audio equipment has weak bass, but I guess I am nowhere close to being a real bass head because I just don't get it.  I have Senn HD-700, and to me those have the perfect amount of bass in terms of balance to the rest of the spectrum and in terms of punch and texture.  I have heard the Shure SRH1540 at a meet, and the pads are incredible and the upper bass to mids very clean.  To me, more resolution and better balance than M-100.  I still recommend the M-100 to many folks however, and even the XL pads, because I believe it is a superior product compared to much of the competition at that price point and targeting that type of sound signature.

Mar 12, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #42 of 145
  I ran M100 with stock pads for about 2 months... using them an average of roughly 6 hours per week.  Took about a week for things to sound a little better to me making the switch XL pads... definitely not brain burn in because I had other headphones and decent stereo system where I would listen to the same music and easily note the different sound signature.  I don't think the drivers were still burning in but that could still be a possibility I suppose.  I am really convinced the pads simply lost a little bit of fluffiness while also conforming to my ears a little better thus decreasing the captured air volume and also bringing the drivers in a little closer to my ears.

I recently sold the M-100.  I just like a slightly more balanced sound and I am currently saving up for either Senn HD 8 DJ or Shure SRH1540, and leaning more towards the latter.  I really like the M-100 stock sound, but knew that the stock pads were just not going to work for me long term.

I listen to mostly pop music, but do a little folk, jazz, rock, rap and metal as well.  Best example of music genre that I am listening to 80% of the time would be Steely Dan, Toto, Duran Duran, and Lorde.  Feel free to vomit at any point : ) 

I am a late 40's male with good hearing, bass and piano player, and into audio a long time.  I am often complaining the high end audio equipment has weak bass, but I guess I am nowhere close to being a real bass head because I just don't get it.  I have Senn HD-700, and to me those have the perfect amount of bass in terms of balance to the rest of the spectrum and in terms of punch and texture.  I have heard the Shure SRH1540 at a meet, and the pads are incredible and the upper bass to mids very clean.  To me, more resolution and better balance than M-100.  I still recommend the M-100 to many folks however, and even the XL pads, because I believe it is a superior product compared to much of the competition at that price point and targeting that type of sound signature.

The HD8 DJ aren't very neutral sounding, but I really enjoy them. I can't comment on which are bassier, but they're definitely bassy - I've got a pair of Custom One Pros, and although they're not as boomy, they reach lower (and clearer doing so) but have a lot more slam when you want it. You can also bass boost these things like a monster. 

Apr 13, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #43 of 145
Here's a video I made on how to install these bad boys:

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/-xmSsvC8IrY[/VIDEO]

Apr 15, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #44 of 145
I bought my M100s 16 months ago and just found out about these XL pads last week, after reading up on them, I ordered, and it only took 8 days to arrive in my hot little hands way down in Australia.

I decided to stop being a lurker and this is my first post on head-fi, because I just had to mention how awesome these XL pads are.

I put them on and instantly thought - Ahhhhhh, this is what luxury feels like.  I think I have big ears, and I was never fully comfortable with the old pads, always too small.

Just the comfort alone makes these feel like different headphones entirely and worth every cent.  

I use mine mainly to watch TV shows and movies, but now I have added impetus to get back into my music collection.

If you already have the M100s, or are contemplating getting them, these pads are a no brainer.

Thanks for the video, helps heaps.

I feel like I could wear these all day now.....I might never take them off!

Apr 15, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #45 of 145
It's a big improvement for me as well in every way. I feel they should have been included with the headphones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back