Unofficial V-MODA XL Pads thread.
Nov 22, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #16 of 145
This is due to the fact the XL pads aren't as closed off as standard pads.

What do you mean buy this? I'm a m100 newb coming from lp2 muddy bass, and m80s nice but cups were too small for my big ears. I'm loving my m100s, but if they can sound better I'm in! Anyone else get these? Do pads really affect sound?

Nov 23, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #17 of 145
This is due to the fact the XL pads aren't as closed off as standard pads.

What do you mean buy this? I'm a m100 newb coming from lp2 muddy bass, and m80s nice but cups were too small for my big ears. I'm loving my m100s, but if they can sound better I'm in! Anyone else get these? Do pads really affect sound?

Spelling typo fixed.
Of course pads can affect sound. Try some IEMs without the silicone fittings.
Since the pads are bigger, they fit differently and because of it, will be different.

Dec 12, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #18 of 145
WOW! Big difference it is truly noticeable, its not slight either! Bass is even better, goes deeper, mid and highs also sound richer and more:D detailed, it seems like there is more room for the drivers to breath so they are working easier, plus the comfort is fantastic compared to the old pads. Anyone on the fence about this easy upgrade, do its well worth it. Thanks guys...

Dec 19, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #19 of 145
Just ordered some XL Memory Cushions for my M-100.  The V-Moda website is offering 50% off items in the 'Accessories' category so I got 2 pairs!

Dec 19, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #20 of 145
Just ordered some XL Memory Cushions for my M-100.  The V-Moda website is offering 50% off items in the 'Accessories' category so I got 2 pairs!

Mind sharing the cupon code? I looked about 5 minutes ago, and no discount.
Also, V-Moda are selling Verified like new M100s. About time.
Also, like apple, but unlike Apple, V-Moda use old or returned copies as 'repairs'. V-Moda can't do what apple do (give you a brand new product) so they use verified like new and give it the whole sealed box experience.
I don't mind, my headphones show a little consemic damage when first had (debatable wether I caused it) but core what matters is the sound.

In my opinion, Val should scrap the shiny glossy metal. I mean, it looks good but the whole thing is a scratch magnet. I have to put it on soft surfaces so it won't scratch.

Also, expect a tutorial on how to use your M100s with your PS3 :wink:

Dec 19, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #22 of 145
I didn't see any sale...is there a code?

Dec 19, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #23 of 145
Just add the item into the shopping cart and you will see the discount.

Dec 19, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #25 of 145
It looks like the sale is done

Dec 19, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #26 of 145
It looks like the sale is done

god, that is annoying... I've been waiting 3+ months for a sale on the XL cushions & the sale is done overnight... what a disappointment.

Dec 22, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #27 of 145
The XL Memory Cushions arrived 56 hours after placing my order.  Very impressed with the fast shipping during the Christmas season.  I put these on the M-100 last night and...

1) more comfortable (my ears do not touch the inner part of the pads or the headphone drivers)
2) better bass (quality and texture, quantity is about the same)
3) better soundstage (slightly wider and deeper) could be because the headphone drivers are further away from my ears
4) smoother transition from bass to mids (less V more U but still FUN!) 

Jan 9, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #28 of 145
My pads came in yesterday and they are great. Gone are the ear aches of before! A new age of suppleness and comfort is here! :p

I really like how cool these are ya know? They look like White Wall tires... Except they're black of course. I understand that the LP's aren't that good apparently and I still haven't finished the mythical 600 hour burn in but these pads really help the sound and everything. Much better seal so the already huge bass is even better! :D Unfortunately I still rely on Treble Boost in my iPod which distorts it at high volumes but maybe once the burn in is done...
L3000.gif

Jan 14, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #29 of 145
So glad to have found this thread. I am purchasing the M-100's and have been going back and forth in regards to getting the XL pads. I have three cartilage piercings that are taking forever to heal. So even though I have small ears, I need extra room. Do you think I would have that with the XL pads? I have read mixed reviews! Thanks

Edit:  Disregard....some how I totally missed page 2.

Jan 15, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #30 of 145
Nice thread...important topic for all V-Moda owners.

Not being a troll or raining on the parade here, but wanted to offer a cautionary tale.  I have a love/hate thing going on with my new XL pads, but it is trending more towards love. First of all, I did not find these things easy to install.  Had trouble removing the stock pads, a little tearing in one, a lot in the other : (    Then had some trouble getting the XL pads to snap in securely.  Ended up using the tip of the headphone plug to very gently press around the edges as I could not get things snapped in with just my finger pressure.  You should see a single seam in the pads, they go at the bottom of the cups, as does the slightly flattened cut of the plastic opening on the inside.  Some slight panic over this as I didn't notice any info on proper orientation of pads until after I was done.  But all was well.

Tried on the headphones without music first, and what an awesome upgrade in comfort!  I was patient with the stock pads and they seemed to work OK with me.  I was coming from an Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 and those things are known to require much patience and experimenting before the pads and your ears find a way to get along with each other.  Also, I have big ears, just barely fit well inside most sennheisers and many new "around ear" designs from other companies end up being "on ear" for me, M-100 included, though the new XL pads give me enough room to squeeze everything in most of the time.

Music was a different experience.  Overwhelming bass and a new sense of thumpy/tubby sound that really ruined things for me.  Did not notice any improvements in mids or treble (not that they needed improving) or in soundstage.  Now granted, I did not find the stock config to be what I imagined a "bass head" headphone would sound like, but the bass was stronger than anything else I had, and in a very good, very satisfying way.  With the new XL pads, I was not satisfied.  It felt a little warmer and isolated as well, felt like I was thrown in a closet with a subwoofer.  I think this all goes to show that not only do we all hear things a bit differently, but that the physical interface between headphone, head shape and ear shape can also be a very different and very influential variable between many of us.

Anyways, I don't know if the pads have compressed a little or just broken in and shaped a little more to my head/ear, but things seem to be moving back in the direction of the stock sound for me which is a good thing.  Bass not quite as ridiculously out of balance with every thing else, and tightening up so that I no longer hear a muddy mess.  I am hoping this evolution continues just a little bit more and all will be perfect.  I can't tell you how impressed I have been with the M-100 in general.  Forget the bass and style points, just in overall sound I think they hold there own with many well known audiophile headphones.  So I am still a big fan, but the pad swap has been a roller coaster for me.  YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back