"Unloaded" Headphone Driver Enclosures
Sep 26, 2010 at 4:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Skoobs

100+ Head-Fier
not sure if this has been covered yet, and if it has please link me the thread.

has anyone found a place to get unloaded headphone enclosures to put your own drivers in? i would be especially interested in wood.

or, have you figured out something else that works really well as a headphone enclosure with minimal modding? i was thinking something like a sphere of wood, which i could cut in half and put a flat piece of wood across to create a surface on which to drill a hole and mount the driver. 

any info wold be great.

Sep 26, 2010 at 7:51 AM Post #2 of 6
Not really but you can try to build something a la the K1000. Could cause some trouble with bass though.

Sep 26, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #3 of 6
i was thinking of two bowls with flat lids. has anyone made a frakenphone? do they always use old, dead headphones or do people make their own enclosure or buy them somewhere?

Oct 1, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #5 of 6
yeah, ive seen the coconut phones. they may actually be about the right size. i wish i knew how they attached the pads and everything.

that DIY enclosure looks perfect. i dont know who has a lathe though. haha

Oct 1, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #6 of 6
Depending on the size you could go with AKG pads (K240/K271).  They are just held in place by a lip about the same diameter as the pads (tentison fit?).  You can see the AKG pads on the machined wooden DIY headphones.  There is other methods for pads but I only recommend the AKG pads because they are easy to aquire and they easy to make work on DIY projects.

Local school or wood working club?  Or make friends with the local wood worker (who has a lathe). ;D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back