Unlimited Budget, No DAC/amp, Basshead.
Mar 16, 2010 at 10:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Chuwy

Head-Fier
I've heard good things about the Denon AH-D7000. But what else is out there?

P.S. I'm doing a favor for my friend here who is apparently rich as hell and a total basshead. She was leaning towards the new Beats Spin by Dr. Dre so I figured I'd intervene before she gets totally ripped off.

Mar 16, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #2 of 18
An Ultrasone Pro900, Ed9 or Ed8.
smily_headphones1.gif

She may well take to one of those.

Mar 16, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp_zer0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hifiman HE-5, MDR R10 bass heavy, L3000.

Not sure if you've heard the 1st two phones, but they're not particularly bassy. Bass-heavy R10 is like bass-heavy K701 or K1000: they're bass neutral.

Mar 16, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #6 of 18
THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO POINT IN GETTING ANY HEADPHONES OVER $300 WITHOUT AN AMP/DAC (with the exception of Grados). And that's pushing it, I wouldn't spend more than $200 without an amp/DAC.

If she has an unlimited budget then why not get an amp/DAC? If the answer to that question is because she is running it straight out of an iPod, then forget it and tell her to get AH-D1001K. They are portable and reasonably inexpensive, and great for bassheads.

I'm assuming it's for home use though, if you think the D7000 would suit the purpose, and if that's the case, there's no reason at all to not get an amp/DAC. Get R10s bass heavy version with balanced termination, a custom made B22 so she can get a beast case for it, and a Buffalo32S also in custom made case, alternatively an A-GD Ref7.

And that's not even the most expensive stuff you could get, I'm just being nice
wink.gif

Mar 16, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #8 of 18
Within a reasonable budget the 8.35D Monitor may be a good way of getting here to appreciate more then just bass. While still having bass with a brilliant tone. Without paying 1400$ for an ED 8 for example.

Otherwise good luck finding something that kicks harder then K81DJs
wink.gif
Those small ear cups and leather ear pads and that frequency response curve make sure all the sound pressure go straightly in your ear. Pretty awful but perhaps also educational.

Mar 16, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure if you've heard the 1st two phones, but they're not particularly bassy. Bass-heavy R10 is like bass-heavy K701 or K1000: they're bass neutral.

Hey, neutral bass is good bass. amirite?

Mar 17, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #11 of 18
I would not recommand anyone using ED8 without amp. That is a bit of waste. Of course I do using ED8 directly with iPod but the sound is far far from what I enjoy when it plug in the Corda symphony.

Mar 17, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by TobaccoRoad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with everyone saying it's a waste if you're not getting a dac or an amp.

Just get the Beats by Dre

The other cans similarly priced wont automatically sound worse than those beats just because they are not amped.

Mar 17, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An Ed8 is surprisingly good straight from an iPod and the bass is more prominent too.
wink.gif

Agreed - this would be an excellent choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back