Unlimited Budget: Best Headphone/Amp Combo for MF DOOM
Jul 31, 2007 at 3:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 90

San7a

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I was referred to this forum from another. Looks good in here!
blink.gif

I've recently made a very large chunk of change and would like to blow it all on a set of cans and accessories to make them sound as good as possible! I was hoping you audiophiles could help me with that!

Recently I've been caught up in MF DOOM's music, and I don't see myself swaying far from it for a long while. I was told that the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro's (250 ohms) would be my best bet for his tunes, but I'm not sure. I was hoping there were some guys in here with a similar interest and could lead me in the right direction.

And if these are the right headphones for me, what amp should I be looking at buying? Sound card? Cables? Anything else?

I'm an animator and cartoonist so I sit for very long periods of time. I need to be bumping constantly!!

smily_headphones1.gif

TIA guys!
Jack

Jul 31, 2007 at 3:47 AM Post #2 of 90
Never say unlimited budget on Head-Fi. Unless you've got over $10,000 or so to blow, you're not close to unlimited. How much have you got?

edit: And welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet

Jul 31, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #5 of 90
You could blow a LOT more than $10,000 on a headphone setup ... but anyway what kind of sound are you looking for? Does open or closed or portability or anything like that matter?

Jul 31, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #6 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by San7a /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Err, I guess I should say around $1,200-2,000.

Maybe $10,000 one day!
smily_headphones1.gif

Can't really recommend you anything since I never tried anything remotely in your price range but I can recommend Vaudeville Villain. In my opinion MF Dooms greatest album by a large margin.

Jul 31, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #7 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by CLum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't really recommend you anything since I never tried anything remotely in your price range but I can recommend Vaudeville Villain. In my opinion MF Dooms greatest album by a large margin.

Oh, I am VERY well versed in the life and times of our man Daniel Dumile. Don't worry about that.

Jul 31, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #10 of 90
No I would not just jump into a setup cold like that. He hasn't even said what kind of sound he is looking for or if open/closed matters!

EDIT:
Closed?

I would build a system around the JVC HP-DX1000. Which currently holds the title as top in production closed headphone, except perhaps for the Edition 9 (which I have not heard, BTW), but that is far out of your budget here.

But still -- what kind of sound are you looking for?

Jul 31, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #11 of 90
Quote:

Ok here we go:

Source - Stello DA100 USB, $695

Amp - HeadAmp Gilmore Lite w/ DPS, $499

Phones - AKG K701, ~ $300 or less

Total - less than $1,500

I disagree. The headphones are the most important part of the setup, so you should spend more on them. I'm loving my Ultrasone Edition 9. You could pair that with a Corda Opera amp/DAC combo which has USB input and you'd be set. You could pull that off for under $2K if you know what you're doing.

Jul 31, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #12 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No I would not just jump into a setup cold like that. He hasn't even said what kind of sound he is looking for or if open/closed matters!

Yes, you're right. OP, what kind of sound are you after? Why would you prefer closed over open?

Jul 31, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #14 of 90
Ok, I stand on my JVC HP-DX1000 recommendation. Perhaps the Edition 9, if you want to stretch for it as well as a system around it. I have not heard it and can't help you with it though.

Jul 31, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #15 of 90
Well if you are going to use a computer as your source, an external DAC will be better than a good sound card IMO. Also if you are going to be sitting close to a computer you may want to look into closed headphones to keep out fan noise.

How much do you have to spend on the total rig?

If the sky is the limit check out Benchmarks DAC1 (http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/dac1/) and grab the best headphone that have a sound singature you like.

The best rated closed headphone is the L3000 from Audio technica but at two grand they are very expensive. The Denon D5000 is getting very good reviews for a closed can sub $500.

There is also the beyerdynamic DT770 that is said to have very good bass (I assume what you are looking for based on your music tates) for $250 and is closed.
http://www.headphone.com/products/he...mic-dt-770.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back