Universal player for under $500.00
Sep 19, 2007 at 2:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Sovkiller

Proved that despite its huge size the CD3000 can be shoved down one's throat.
I'm looking into a "cheap" universal player for under $500.00...it has to be able to play NTSC and PAL, and all regions (don't care if it need to be cracked for that, soem of them are easily convertible into multiregions just with the remote)

Any reco....OPPO maybe??? which of them...looking for good audio also, the last Philips I got was extremelly noisy in the audio...

Recently got a Marantz but it is defective, so it will be on the way back soon...

Sep 19, 2007 at 5:08 AM Post #2 of 21
There are a lot of decent universal players for under $500, but your feature list somewhat limits the selection.

Almost any player from Oppo should work.

Try looking for a used Pioneer DV-578A-S. It's a universal player can be updated with modified firmware to play almost everything, including PAL (via internal PAL-to-NTSC conversion) and discs from every region. It uses very decent Burr-Brown PCM1742 DACs. It does do SACD to PCM conversion, but judging by most manufacturers' current implementations of SACD, this is the preferred way to go.

The previous model, the DV-563A, has even better audio, but no software multi-region hack.

Sep 19, 2007 at 5:16 AM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are a lot of decent universal players for under $500, but your feature list somewhat limits the selection.

Almost any player from Oppo should work.

Try looking for a used Pioneer DV-578A-S. It's a universal player can be updated with modified firmware to play almost everything, including PAL (via internal PAL-to-NTSC conversion) and discs from every region. It uses very decent Burr-Brown PCM1742 DACs. It does do SACD to PCM conversion, but judging by most manufacturers' current implementations of SACD, this is the preferred way to go.

The previous model, the DV-563A, has even better audio, but no software multi-region hack.

From the actual OPPO line, which is the best one soundwise (with componet out, as some of them does not have it) ? I'm not confident that I could mod any Pioneer via firmaware, preffer the simple hack with the remote...

Sep 19, 2007 at 5:22 AM Post #4 of 21
Now that the new Oppos are out, I'm not sure how they stack up to the previous models. The DV-970HD was regarded by most (including Oppo) to have the best sound of the line-up before.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not confident that I could mod any Pioneer via firmaware, preffer the simple hack with the remote...

Basically, all you need to do is burn a CD with an ISO of the firmware and stick it into the player. I've modified one so far and it was a breeze.

Sep 19, 2007 at 5:26 AM Post #5 of 21
Ric at EVS says this about the Oppo players:
"...Get the 970 ($150 directly from Amazon with no shipping charges) or the new 980 ($170 delivered) if you are mainly interested in Audio....they play all formats and also have very good video.

The 981 ($229) does everything the 970/980 does but adds the Faroudja decoding chip (basically has better video if you your video display is compatible)....but it has no component outs and costs $80 more than the 970.

The 971 is now discontinued but the audio is just as good as the newer machines, has better video stock than the 970 but does not play SACDs."

Ric does modding of these players. More info at http://www.tweakaudio.com/EVS-2/index.html.

This page at oppodigital has their comparisons all mapped out.

Sep 19, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #6 of 21

Quote:

From the actual OPPO line, which is the best one soundwise (with componet out, as some of them does not have it) ? I'm not confident that I could mod any Pioneer via firmaware, preffer the simple hack with the remote...

Sep 19, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #7 of 21
980 is the upgrade from the 970 line

Quote:

Now that the new Oppos are out, I'm not sure how they stack up to the previous models. The DV-970HD was regarded by most (including Oppo) to have the best sound of the line-up before.

Basically, all you need to do is burn a CD with an ISO of the firmware and stick it into the player. I've modified one so far and it was a breeze.

Sep 19, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #8 of 21
I pulled the trigger in the offer they have 169 in Amazon for the 980H...hope it wont disapoint me, thanks guys for the answers...
wink.gif

How about the options for firmware upgrades are they needed???

Sep 20, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #9 of 21
If there is a version after the player's current version, surely you want to apply the upgrade. It does not hurt anyway.

Quote:

I pulled the trigger in the offer they have 169 in Amazon for the 980H...hope it wont disapoint me, thanks guys for the answers...
wink.gif

How about the options for firmware upgrades are they needed???

Sep 20, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by happyhifibasten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If there is a version after the player's current version, surely you want to apply the upgrade. It does not hurt anyway.

They have a beta version, and according to them, this new features and improvements are included in this version, not sure to what extend they will improve audio or video for my applications, with the exception of the number 3, here are the features listed:

1. Improved DVD-Audio Disc Compatibility

There are reports of some DVD-Audio discs released by Arista and Silverline not playing properly on the DV-980H with the previous firmware version. This version improves the compatibility and will play those discs properly.

2. RGB Range Selection

This firmware version adds a setup menu item "RGB Range" in the "Video Setup Page". The default setting is "Normal", which is the recommended setting and the same as the previous firmware. The new "Enhanced" setting expands the studio RGB range of 16-235 into the 0-255 range, suitable for PC display. Use the "Enhanced" setting only when you use a PC display or encounter poor black-white contrast. For normal video display (TVs and projectors), using the "Enhanced" setting will result in clipping black and white signal level and loss of details.

3. Easier Disc Memory Operation

This firmware version saves the breakpoint for disc memory when the STOP or EJECT button is pressed. The previous firmware version saves the breakpoint only when the EJECT button is pressed while the disc is playing.

Sep 20, 2007 at 3:42 AM Post #11 of 21
Those sound like some quality upgrades. Go for it.

Judging by the RGB Range Selection option, Oppo is one DVD player manufacturing company that definitely understands what "blacker than black" means, and how it applies to televisions versus computer monitors. It's strange to see some other companies still getting this wrong.
biggrin.gif

Sep 20, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #12 of 21
Totally agree

Quote:

Those sound like some quality upgrades. Go for it.

Judging by the RGB Range Selection option, Oppo is one DVD player manufacturing company that definitely understands what "blacker than black" means, and how it applies to televisions versus computer monitors. It's strange to see some other companies still getting this wrong.
biggrin.gif

Sep 20, 2007 at 6:53 AM Post #13 of 21
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....lay&1195168364

APL hifi definitely tops it at the high end based on my readings and people I've talked and the fact that they don't really mod more like completely strip then rebuild sells me on their products. Not sure about their older/more budget products but, this seems like it might be a great value.

Sep 20, 2007 at 11:18 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....lay&1195168364

APL hifi definitely tops it at the high end based on my readings and people I've talked and the fact that they don't really mod more like completely strip then rebuild sells me on their products. Not sure about their older/more budget products but, this seems like it might be a great value.

Transformers on the output??? I big no-no in my book...Sorry for the tweakers, who beleive that is an improvlemnt, and sorry for the ones who heard them, but that is one of the first things I always try to avoid...

Sep 20, 2007 at 2:52 PM Post #15 of 21
Just remember that the Oppo (and other DVD players) need a TV or other display device for changing its settings -- not good for a standalone in a stereo system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back