jandr272

Head-Fier
Budget -

$500-1500. I'd prefer to stay under $1000

Source -

iPhone or iPad

Requirements for Isolation -

Some. 90% of listening in home/car/office but occasional air travel too

Will you be using these Headphones in Public?

Yes

Preferred Type of Headphone -

IEM

Preferred tonal balance -

Warm, bordering on dark. I like a solid but accurate bass but prefer to avoid mid-bass "humps", I must have lush and accurate mids, timbre is super important, but I don't want super-forward vocals (think natural vocals vs. vocals through a microphone). I enjoy an extended, accurate treble but do not like any harshness or emphasis; I'm a big cymbals guy and like air and decay.

Past headphones -

In an ideal world, I'd be able to combine several aspects of the top 3 I've owned: the bass of the CA Vega, the mids of the Westone ES5, and the treble of the JH Angie. The Westone were my favorite overall sound signature although they lacked sub-bass and their treble wasn't flawless. The Vega are very alive and musical but the tuning isn't exactly comfortable to me; they sound like getting in a car and nearly maxing out the bass/mid/high on the stereo EQ; also the vocals sound a little strange in timbre to me, and they seem to lack a bit of lushness in the mids especially saxophone and acoustic guitar (Eric Clapton Unplugged, Blues Traveler Four, piano trios). The Angie had a wonderful top end but were too flat feeling overall. I would try to just amp the Vega but I don't think it would completely fix the mid or high end and I am hesitant to throw more money at a $1300 IEM if their sound signature isn't already exactly what I want.

Preferred Music -

Live album staples: Bonnie Raitt Road Tested, Little Feat Waiting For Columbus, Eric Clapton Unplugged, Earth Wind and Fire Live at VelFarre, Springsteen Live in Dublin, Sara Barielles Brave Enough: Live at the Variety Playhouse, Ben Folds Live, Rolling Stones Get Your Ya-Yas, Lake Street Dive Live at the Lizard Lounge.

Jazz staples: Hampton Hawes All Night Sessions, Oscar Peterson Trio We Get Requests, most late 50's/early 60's bebop (Monk, Coltrane, Pepper, Haynes, etc.)

Other staples: Dr. John, Ben Folds Five, Daft Punk, Tom Petty, Johnny Cash, Avett Brothers, Billy Joel, Chicago, Chris Thile, Punch Brothers, Doobie Brothers, Three Dog Night, Elton John, Elliot Smith, No Doubt, Isley Brothers, James Taylor, Nina Simone, Paul Simon, most things produced by Mark Ronson, Rufus Wainwright.

What would you like to improve on from your set-up -

I would like a sound signature more suited to my taste while retaining the quality and uniqueness of the CA Vega. I would prefer phones that I don't feel the need to DAC/AMP even though I probably will at some point.

Aug 24, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #3 of 5
What are the past IEMs you've tried?

Nov 27, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #4 of 5
I have all of them right now with me... (ES5,VEGA, Roxanne, Fiio F9)
You are right about the Vega, ... just over everything V-shape,but lack in clarity.
My Westone ES5 with Moon-audio silver cable are just very pleasant and easy to listen when my ear are tired of the V-shape, dynamic IEM... I still love the ES5 after 6 years..
For me,JH audio Roxanne ( Custom) are just the right balance between both.
But the Roxanne really need a good source and a stand alone amp to drive them at their full potential. Have try many Dap and portable amp( Combo) .. and none of them drive the Roxanne properly.
My best setup is ( Audirvana ~>Macbook~>TZYun USB cable>Chord Hugo~> IFi Itube~>Ifi ican~> Roxanne (custom) with Black dragon cable.) Its just perfect for me right now. Also the Westone really shine with this combination.
Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back