(Universal?) IEM for Electronic / Pop sound, budget around €500? Also, are IEMs even for me?
Mar 22, 2016 at 9:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

iJimmy

100+ Head-Fier
Hello guys,

I was wondering if you guys could help me find what I'm looking for. I own a Fostex TH-600 which I like a lot and a V-Moda M100. However, after trying an IE80 I would love to find a nice IEM that suits me. I think the M100 is very good, but isolation can be an issue since I'm on public transport all the time, I feel I'm not using it to its full potential.

However, in the past, I've had a Monster Turbine Miles and at times it struggled to fit properly (either it became loose a lot or it started to hurt after a while). Could it be me or was it just that specific type of tip (I believe they were rubber, the circle ones)? 

What I THINK I'm looking for overall is good (not necessarily a lot, maybe more than average) bass and warm vocals, but I could be very wrong. I usually listen to Electronic or Pop music on the go (energizing!) if that helps. My budget is around 500, but could be stretched (or lowered if simply not necessary).

Oh, and preferably I would like them to be used without an amp? I don't know if this is possible. I was looking at the IE80 myself, not sure what else I should choose.

Thanks!
Jimmy 

Mar 22, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #3 of 5
Actually they're available for another 13 hours for 169$ which is a good price I would say.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/flare-r2a-iems

Check out reviews on headfonics/headfonia
http://www.headfonia.com/review-flare-audio-r2a-r2pro/
http://headfonics.com/2015/05/the-r2a-and-r2pro-iems-by-flare-audio/

Mar 22, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #4 of 5
Hey DeLuX, those look interesting! The only thing that worries me is import tax, so they would probably end up around 200 euro. The worrying thing to me looks like the cable, it seems kind of flimsy? I've had cable issues before, not sure how well this cable would hold up, and it doesn't seem replacable?

Mar 22, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #5 of 5
Hey DeLuX, those look interesting! The only thing that worries me is import tax, so they would probably end up around 200 euro. The worrying thing to me looks like the cable, it seems kind of flimsy? I've had cable issues before, not sure how well this cable would hold up, and it doesn't seem replacable?

I'd say your spot on! I bought from massdrop once, and got stuck with import duties. Flare is based in the UK, maybe they'll ship directly from there and you'll be fine? I'm sure that info is available on the massdrop page. The cable is kind of replaceable, as the driver and the cable is one unit so no fancy aftermarket stuff. I got mine of the kickstarter campaign and the cable broke/the sound went out on one side. Emailed flare and sent in my phones got them back next week at no cost, with a sturdier cable. I'm guessing if you buy now you get the sturdier cable with better strain reliefs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back