Units with headphone AND preamp out <$300?
Apr 6, 2015 at 6:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

JLiRD808

New Head-Fier
Looking for an amp that has a headphone out and a preamp output for powered studio monitors. 

Right now I have the Presonus HP4, and I'm reading that it's not very good for powering higher ohmed cans like the HD600/650.

Does anyone have some suggestions around $200-300?

EDIT: Thought I should add that my 1212m audio interface has SPDIF output. Should I look into a DAC/Amp combo? Patchmix DSP (EMU's routing software) allows me to run analog and digital out simultaneously. Perhaps the analog outs can run the monitors and SPDIF can go to headphone outs.

THANKS!!

Apr 6, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #2 of 14
Something like an Audio-GD NFB-11 is in the upper end of that price range, it's a great DAC/pre with a powerful and neutral sound. You would just hit the switch to go between HP out and the Preamp outs.

SPDIF is digital out, so you'd run that to the NFB-11 and control everything from there. I don't know the other gear you have. I'll look it up and edit this if what I said is dumb, lol.

Apr 6, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #3 of 14
Thanks Jodgey!

How would u compare the DAC on the 1212m vs the NFB-11? Should I just utilize the 1212m's and go analog through a BETTER AMP than the Presonus HP4?

I guess I should rephrase my question/post to finding a better HP and PREAMP OUT unit....since my monitors are powered anyways.

Thanks....

Apr 6, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #4 of 14
If you don't need the 4 channels of the HP4, what I'd do is run optical (SPDIF) out of your 1212m into the NFB11, plug your headphones into the front of the 11, and run the RCAs out of the back of it to your monitors, sell the HP4 to help fund it. So you couldn't play the monitors and headphones at the same time this way... though if you needed to you could probably keep the HP4 and use it like a splitter, using the NFB-11 as just a DAC essentially (in which case there are cheaper DACs with a similar sound with just optical in probably).

Apr 6, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #5 of 14
Oh, and to answer your actual question (sorry, oops)... the NFB-11 uses the flagship ES9018 chip from Sabre, and Audio-GD/Kingwa really has that tricky chip pretty nailed down. His gear is very neutral, detailed, and smooth. I haven't heard the 1212m, but dedicated external gear is probably going to be much more clean and powerful with less noise. Just have a dedicated power section can really help. The NFB-11 is touted as a good deal just as a DAC, having the amp section makes it a killer deal - it can drive almost anything on the market (not sure how it does with sensitive in-ear monitors, though). I'd be willing to bet the NFB-11 is a better DAC than the 1212m, and a better amp than the HP4.

Other options could be the Schiit Magni 2/Modi 2, it would be cheaper too. Not sure how that compares sonically, but the components are separate if that's of any appeal to you.

Just curious, what monitors/headphones are you using?

Apr 16, 2015 at 3:34 AM Post #7 of 14
Thanks guys!

Is the NFB-11 $325 + shipping in USD?

"in which case there are cheaper DACs with a similar sound with just optical in probably."

What other SPDIF/Optial headphone DAC/Amps I should look at, regardless of whether they have a separate pre-amp out?

I'm on HD-650 cans at the moment, and JBL LSR305 monitors :)

THANKS! 

Apr 16, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #8 of 14
Yep... the NFB-15 would fit in the budget. Sorry I keep misreading your questions, haha. Same thing, but more musical sounding. Or a used NFB-11. The (2015) has a bigger power supply than older models, and the 11.32 has the upgraded USB. Versions before that don't have the best USB inputs... not that it matters to you. Same follows for the NFB-15.

Schiit Modi 2 Uber + Magni 2 Uber would be $300. Even the Modi Optical would probably sound close enough, saving $50 right there.

Apr 16, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #9 of 14
Thanks so much jodgey4!

Am I correct that the NFB-15 (WM8741 Chips) has a more colored sound or "rounder bottom end" as I saw mentioned in another thread? The NFB-11 would be more flat and reference quality I believe, correct?

People sell used NFB-11's here on HF? I'm pretty new here still :)

**EDIT*"** Should I jump on this?:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/762930/pending-audio-gd-nfb11-sabre-229-vs-nfb12-wolfson-159-dac-amp-battle

U guys are very helpful...hope u know I really appreciate it!

Jason

Apr 16, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #10 of 14
How about the Audioengine D1?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=833986&gclid=CjwKEAjwu72pBRC9hsn2-e34vRUSJACnSYsTwD2Ia2lJjqVXcL6pB8vIx6WxIVgvNneLRkl1VQ_uVBoC_hzw_wcB&is=REG&Q=&A=details

THANKS!

Apr 16, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #12 of 14
It does have optical in, and USB. It's probably the best cheapest option, then the Schiit stack, then the NFB series. The used A-GD stuff you're looking at would work too, I think the USB is the only bad part about those, should be great otherwise.

Apr 23, 2015 at 3:38 AM Post #13 of 14
  It does have optical in, and USB. It's probably the best cheapest option, then the Schiit stack, then the NFB series. The used A-GD stuff you're looking at would work too, I think the USB is the only bad part about those, should be great otherwise.

Should I rule out the Fiio E9? I see lots of people pair it with the HD-600's and seem pleased.

Probably going with either the Asgard 2 or Magni 2 Uber....if I can figure out the difference lol.

Also, I'm pretty much set on just going analog in at the moment. 

THANKS! 

Apr 23, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #14 of 14
Not sure on the E9, don't know much about it.

The Asgard is biased in Class A, whereas the Magni is Class AB. Class A is ideal, but most seem to think the Magni to be very similar, and the better value. If you want, you can order both and try them side by side, and return the one you don't want for a slight restocking fee. Or ask in the threads for more info. I'd go with the Magni, personally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back