Unique problem - Peachtree DAC-IT to FiiO E17 to headphones?
Jul 18, 2013 at 1:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

audiotwo

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I have a unique problem that I thought would be perfect for the experts here.  I currently run FLAC files from my desktop PC via USB to a Peachtree Dac-IT, which RCAs out to AudioEngine speakers.  I recently went on a buying spree and picked up a pair of DT 880 Premium 250 ohm and HE-400s.

I was wondering if there is a way to leverage my DAC-IT (arguably a better DAC than what's in the E17) and only use my E17 as an amp.  The DAC-IT only has RCA out.  What cable should I use to best maintain quality while bypassing the E17 DAC and only using it as an amp?  Can I send music from Dac-it to Optical or Coax and still bypass the E17 DAC?

My hypothesis for best solution:
PC >>USB>> DAC-IT >>RCA piggy back link
1) One RCA set goes from DAC-IT straight to >>> AudioEngine 5+ Speakers
2) Second RCA is a 3.5mm male plug that goes into the AUX line of the E17 amp >>> Headphones

A more expensive solution would be to get the Schiit Magni amp for $99, which has an RCA input to headphone out.  I'd like to avoid this as people at Head-fi have said that the e17 is enough amp for the HE-400s.  

Ideal situation would be:
PC >>USB>> DAC-IT >>> Some connection that doesn't hurt quality >>> e17 amp >>> Headphone

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Gear:
Peachtree DAC-IT link
FiiO E17 link
DT 880 link
HE400 link

Jul 18, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #2 of 7
Unless I am missing your usage entirely, all you need is a 2 male RCA to 3.5mm stereo cable (like this ). Connect RCAs to the Dac-IT and the 3.5mm end to the AUX IN jack on the E17. Uses the Dac-IT DAC section, and the E17's amp section.

Jul 18, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #3 of 7
Awesome, thanks for that.  Does RCA to 3.5mm into the e17 hurt the quality of the amping?  Also, I need to piggyback the RCA from the DAC-IT because it only has one RCA out and I need it to go to both my speakers and my FiiO, does that hurt quality?

Thanks again.

Jul 18, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
Awesome, thanks for that.  Does RCA to 3.5mm into the e17 hurt the quality of the amping?  Also, I need to piggyback the RCA from the DAC-IT because it only has one RCA out and I need it to go to both my speakers and my FiiO, does that hurt quality?

Thanks again.

No, RCA to 3.5mm wont hurt SQ.

No, the DAC-IT has 2x RCA outs.... if it didn't you wouldn't get stereo! :D, you must be mistaking the co-ax in for a single RCA :wink:

Jul 18, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #7 of 7
No worries - thanks for the response.  I am going to send the RCA out to 1/8 and into the FiiO.  Problem solved so thanks again for the feedback.  You guys weren't kidding about "sorry about your wallet!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back