Unique Melody Shure E5c remolds - left channel gone much weaker than right. Thoughts?
Nov 19, 2011 at 2:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

tomhirvin

New Head-Fier
I had my Shure E5c's remolded by UM about 3 months ago and have been very happy with them. Recently however I have been noticing that the right channel is a lot louder than the left. There is still signal coming through the left but less than half the right. At first I thought I might be losing my hearing but having tested the earphones on a number of different outputs I can now see it's the earphones.

My question is, has anyone else had a similar issue with their IEM and if so what is the usual problem. My gut feeling is that it is less likely to be the electronics/soldering inside the shell and more likely to be the lead which fortunately is removeable. I just wanted to check before I try a new lead as these are quite expensive to replace and the one I have is supposed to be brand new.

Any thoughts? I will check back with UE to see what their policy is.

Thanks,

Tom

Nov 19, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #2 of 4
Update - if you put the headphone jack halfway into the socket of my phone/PC/ipod the channels sound the same, it's only when you push it all the way in does the right channel start to dominate. Does that help anyone. Looks like it might be the lead?

Nov 19, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #3 of 4
Check there isn't sweat or ear wax in the output tubes

Ahh, just saw your update - well in that case, Id' be looking at the headphone output socket of the iPod

Nov 19, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #4 of 4
I've now got them plugged into a Macbook and have checked them with left and right channel. On left only there appears to be no base response at all and still very quiet. Obviously as soon as you start to move the dial towards right the sound immediately comes to life. 

I have bought a new cable so hopefully it will rectify the issue but if it was the actual monitor unit what would be the most likely cause - magnet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back