Unique Melody or TF10 vs Se530
Oct 27, 2009 at 7:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Jbossner

New Head-Fier
Hey guys first time posting.

I have been scanning the forums for a while and now looking for a "major" upgrade to my Se210, I've got the cash now and i still can't decide what to do.

There is a specail atm for the TF10 so i can get them for $380 (AU) vs $500 for the 530's. I am extremely worried about the fit/look of the TF10, and on the other hand I am really worried about the Se530's cable breaking.

This was all untill I found UM wich seem to have really good products. Alright my first quistion is how much worse if any is a cheap Custom like UM aero (Tri driver) vs a TF10?

And would it be better to go with a TF10/Se530 and remold them (probably add a driver) or there triple Custom?

My music taste is broad, and I like bass but the Bass from the Se210 would be fine. I cant really comment to much on mids and highs since i have never heard really good headphones.

Comments on TF10 vs Se530 would be really helpfull as well.

Which IEM is better to remold/add driver or is it the same?
Other problem is i want to buy tomorrow, but if i have to I will wait.

Thanks so much for your advice.

Oct 27, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #2 of 10
I'd say UM is a bit of a wild card at the moment in terms of their own in-house customs. No one's done a review yet i think, certainly not of the three driver offering.

If you can afford it, a custom TF10 with an added middle driver would probably be amazing. By themselves, the TF10s are bass and highs heavy but with a good soundstage

The SE530 and the UM3X are fairly similar earphones you should also consider. Both are mid-oriented with very good bass (less quantity though) and somewhat rolled off highs. The SE530 has a better soundstage but with a worse treble roll off and the UM3X has better instrument seperation but with a smaller soundstage.

Remolding the SE530 has been done to great success but AFAIK, it hasn't been done on the newer UM3X yet.

Personally, if you have the money, consider true customs from the likes of livewires and JH audio. There's a glowing livewire triple review nearby.

Oct 27, 2009 at 9:41 AM Post #3 of 10
Hey thanks great reply

Alright I just had a quick glance at JH and livewires, JH seems out of my price range, but I can afford a triple driver from liverwire.
The only problem with livewire is the warrenty. If i get a high and earphone i need warrenty in australia.

Another thing, how are people copping with the comfort of the TF10.

I feel i am leaning more towards Customs now, can someone give me a rundown on re-molded TF10 vs similar priced customs, and how warrenty will go with being in Aus

Oct 27, 2009 at 10:46 AM Post #4 of 10
How about W3? that might fit your needs. You can get one brand new shipped from ineargear.com for about AU$380ish shipped. I've got UM3x and I think the bass is quite plenty and from what I read/heard that W3 has better bass/treble. I've been itching to pull the trigger on W3.... damn aussie dollars being so high right now I feel like spend spend spend...damn it hehehe
smily_headphones1.gif

I was going to for custom aswell but due to my unusual ear canal shape and the fear for having multiple refits kinda scared me ... so at this time I'm sticking with universals ...

Oct 27, 2009 at 10:58 AM Post #5 of 10
haha yea, but still i am kinda worried about buying from the US, what i think im going to do is buy the Se530 and eventually ship them to get re-molded with an added driver.

Do any other places do remolding other then UM?

Oct 27, 2009 at 11:47 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by A_Dying_Wren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say UM is a bit of a wild card at the moment in terms of their own in-house customs. No one's done a review yet i think, certainly not of the three driver offering.

If you can afford it, a custom TF10 with an added middle driver would probably be amazing. By themselves, the TF10s are bass and highs heavy but with a good soundstage

The SE530 and the UM3X are fairly similar earphones you should also consider. Both are mid-oriented with very good bass (less quantity though) and somewhat rolled off highs. The SE530 has a better soundstage but with a worse treble roll off and the UM3X has better instrument seperation but with a smaller soundstage.

Remolding the SE530 has been done to great success but AFAIK, it hasn't been done on the newer UM3X yet.

Personally, if you have the money, consider true customs from the likes of livewires and JH audio. There's a glowing livewire triple review nearby.

This isn't personal and I'm loathed to do it because you probably mean well, but I'm going to have to pull you up again. I was under the impression that you had not heard the SE530.

If that is still the case, then I think you should refrain from appearing to comment with any authority on the sound signature of an earphone that you haven't heard. If you feel compelled to make such statements, then I think you should make it quite clear that you are relying upon the impressions of those who have actually heard them.

This a very subjective pursuit as I'm sure you know and I just don't think it's helpful to anyone, particularly newcomers to this forum, for you to be parroting the impressions of others as if they are your own. As I've said to you previously, the SE530 and UM3X might not sound very alike at all to your ears, or then again they might. You won't know that until you compare them for yourself.

Have you heard any products from Unique Melody or the Triple.Fi 10 Pro by the way?

Oct 27, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #7 of 10
I've owned the Se530s. Most people here seem to love them, so I believe I'm in the minority here. They were my first $300+ triples and I HATED them. They went straight to eBay. I'm a sucker for good, clear highs, which the Shures seriously lacked. The sound from them was just a bit muddy to me and the bass produced was of poor quality, in my opinion. I replaced them with the TF10 and was immediately satisfied. The TF10s were everything I wanted from the Shures. Wonderful high end and nice, deep, ACCURATE bass. They were particularly neutral also. They should sound great with most genres. I would definitely recommend them over the Se530s.

As for UMs, I'm currently waiting on a pair of Mages and my remolded TF10s and if you couldn't afford the Mages, I would just get a pair of remolded TF10s. I'm not even getting the additional driver. I think the SQ is perfect already.

I don't believe the Aero has a 3-way crossover and the prices of their lower tier monitors aren't particularly competitive. It's the Mage that is really worth your while at $575 USD.

Oct 27, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbossner /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey thanks great reply

Alright I just had a quick glance at JH and livewires, JH seems out of my price range, but I can afford a triple driver from liverwire.
The only problem with livewire is the warrenty. If i get a high and earphone i need warrenty in australia.

Another thing, how are people copping with the comfort of the TF10.

I feel i am leaning more towards Customs now, can someone give me a rundown on re-molded TF10 vs similar priced customs, and how warrenty will go with being in Aus

Even with UM you won't get warranty in Australia I don't think. The comfort of the TF10 is alright if you don't mind memory wire. I absolutely couldn't get it to fit by itself for me without them being uncomfortable. I've only auditioned the TF10 and not for too long. Held them in to listen to them.

Loads of others have reported that the TF10 fits them well and is comfortable so I guess its just a matter of spending a bit of time fitting them on initially.

I suspect that customs require slightly different drivers or crossovers to function perfectly. The ES3X custom has essentially the same drivers as the universal UM3X but a different crossover. Whether its because its more expensive or because its custom I don't know.

Really, the advantage to remodeling is not buying a brand new earphone and remodeling it but by buying it used or having a used one of your own and remodeling that. It will save you a fair bit of money for essentially the same thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bajaiman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about W3? that might fit your needs. You can get one brand new shipped from ineargear.com for about AU$380ish shipped. I've got UM3x and I think the bass is quite plenty and from what I read/heard that W3 has better bass/treble. I've been itching to pull the trigger on W3.... damn aussie dollars being so high right now I feel like spend spend spend...damn it hehehe
smily_headphones1.gif

I was going to for custom aswell but due to my unusual ear canal shape and the fear for having multiple refits kinda scared me ... so at this time I'm sticking with universals ...

The W3 has somewhat greater quantities of bass and treble with a good fit and appropriate tips but I wouldn't say they are better from my personal experience. Its a bit muddier in general compared to the UM3X.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This isn't personal and I'm loathed to do it because you probably mean well, but I'm going to have to pull you up again. I was under the impression that you had not heard the SE530.

If that is still the case, then I think you should refrain from appearing to comment with any authority on the sound signature of an earphone that you haven't heard. If you feel compelled to make such statements, then I think you should make it quite clear that you are relying upon the impressions of those who have actually heard them.

This a very subjective pursuit as I'm sure you know and I just don't think it's helpful to anyone, particularly newcomers to this forum, for you to be parroting the impressions of others as if they are your own. As I've said to you previously, the SE530 and UM3X might not sound very alike at all to your ears, or then again they might. You won't know that until you compare them for yourself.

Have you heard any products from Unique Melody or the Triple.Fi 10 Pro by the way?

Never tried products from Unique Melody. Perhaps I wasn't explicit enough about that. I have heard the TF10 pro however.

And yea, I haven't heard the SE530 OP. This is just what I gather trawling the forums. It seems to be the consensus in general so is probably more useful than my own impressions. Again, compared to the other top-end earphones they probably are more similar to each other than the other top earphones (except the W3?) I apologize if there was misrepresentation.

Oct 28, 2009 at 10:13 AM Post #10 of 10
If you like the Shure sign (se210) then go with the 530s. You'll never disappoint with it. Additionally, Shure seems get rid of the cable issue when they change cable formula. No more complain about cable issue these day. I, personally own 5+ shure se530 and none of these have cable issue.

Regarding to re-mold, my friend owning both se530 and triple fi 10 customs and he prefer the Shure to the TF10.

Never use the UM before so I have no idea on it but seems you can send the Shure or TF10 to UM to remold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back