Unique Melody Miracle / Merlin / JH13 / JH16 / SM3 Reshell advice please!
Oct 31, 2011 at 11:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Jimmy6

100+ Head-Fier
So torn..

Theres a sale coming up in Australia for the Unique melody customs, they also hopefully will have that reshell discount as well

Been listening to my SM3s for over a year. They're great! 

Its just that they are really song dependent, and some of the shine and excitement I get when I put my cheaper Sony's in for when I'm at the gym makes me enjoy those rock and dance songs a lot more for some reason

I think its maybe something to do with the bass and v shaped frequency? 

So I'm thinking of selling the SM3's to fund the customs, or reshell the SM3's

I know a bit about the Universal IEMs, but the customs are a whole new ball game

Noones got the cash to do a multi-tier comparison on the customs cos that's blowing the budget like WAY..

I listen to alternative stuff, electronic, and used to be listening to house/trance but since the SM3s i've stopped listening to the latter genre, maybe cos of the loss in punchy bass

Bands such as Arctic Monkeys, Franz Ferdinand, Kasabian, The Beatles, The XX, Two door cinema club, The Bravery, Vera Lynn, Bookashade, and Ministry of Sounds stuff would be the majority of my playlist

I don't consider myself a basshead, cos I don't want my ears to be fatigued and do enjoy listening to other parts of the songs, such as VOCALs are important and forward mids.

Be really appreciative if someone can give me a point in the right direction

Cheers
James

Oct 31, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #2 of 8
Isolation is important as I would use these to commute. 

I heard that isolation may be a bit of an issue with the Merlins, as to why I might not consider them.. 

Nov 1, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #3 of 8
im kinda in a similar situation like you, dont know if I should reshell my UM3x or just move onto customs.

Nov 1, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #4 of 8
My friend had W3s and sold them to fund for his EM3pros. 

He said that since he did that route, he has been satisfied, but wants to try something else. Like the ACS T1s or JH16s cos of the bass 

Even though his moulds were made to fit him, I could somehow squeeze it into my ear :p

Isolation was heaps good, and a lot more intimate, however compared to my SM3's it was pretty similar, maybe the instruments sounded more separated and bass more tight. But EM3pro's and SM3's are like the difference between a chunky kitkat and a kitkat, so thats not really helping.

I can spend $500 - 600 if I can sell my SM3's and pick the UM's MERLIN, or can I just spend $200 and get a reshell... 
The danger is if I'm not satisfied, then I gotta end up spending more..

Nov 1, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #5 of 8
i suggest you try the UM miracle , i am very satisfied with mine. it has very good bass, am not talking about quantity here, its something they call real bass ( takes control when it has to ). mids are very neutral and fluid.

send a PM to uniquemelodyaus

he is very helpful , if he has a universal fit Miracle , you might be able to audition .

Note : be advised the demo unit will give you a rough idea of how the miracle is, its not the complete package you will be getting :D

Nov 1, 2011 at 4:51 AM Post #6 of 8

Noones got the cash to do a multi-tier comparison on the customs cos that's blowing the budget like WAY..

I'm pretty sure Joker has one or something

I listen to alternative stuff, electronic, and used to be listening to house/trance but since the SM3s i've stopped listening to the latter genre, maybe cos of the loss in punchy bass

Hmm...
When I think of my Miracles (compared to other IEM's and headphones) three factors come into mind.
1) tight bass
2) 'neutral' sound (come now it's really all just preference)
3) build quality

I listen to mostly pop/rock/jazz/classical/orchestra/house... and basically just anything else that catches my fancy. 
For bass, I would have to say that it's perfect - and not just for music.

For example. The other day, I was playing a thriller/horror game, and all was quiet. That is until something attacked me - at which point there was a slight rumbling in the bass, which definitely shook me to my bones. It was more than a 'omgthesuddenmusicstartledme' moment. It was legitimately because of the rumble that I felt so shocked - a deeeeep rolling. And that's when I knew for sure that my Miracles were all that they claimed to be (in terms of bass at least). 

As or sound, I can't say much except that it's good. Really, sound is all preference. You could love the sound signature of a Plantronics headset for all I know.

Build quality wise - be careful with your impressions. I have ONE regret out of all the steps to purchase my Miracle, and it concerns the impressions. 
Let me explain

Sure enough, come impression day I walk into the audiologist and sit down into his chair. We talk a bit and then he mixes the putty and starts injecting it into my ear - all good so far.
While he's injecting the putty into my ear, I'm sitting rigorously in my chair - not moving, with the 'mouth piece' inside of my mouth. - Still good.

A couple of minutes later, the audiologist carefully removes my mould - and says "These are great". Of course, I looked over them (didn't really know what I was doing) and they indeed looked perfect.

So I send them off, then a few months later the Miracles arrive in the mail. I put them in - PERFECT FIT, FANTASTIC SEAL

Then the next day, I put in my Miracles and go for a jog. But wait. What is this? Why is the seal so sloppy? 
It was only after a bit of thinking that I figured it out.

When you're sitting in the audiologist chair - you're natural tendency is to learn forward. When one sits in a chair to actually do something - it's unnatural to lean back.

THUS, the moulds in my ear took the shape gravity bestowed upon them - to create a seal when I'm sitting in a chair. So whenever I stand up, the seal is partially broken (a bit annoying)

Just my story and something that I think you should be wary of.

If there are discounts for remoulds in this special offer thing - I'll consider taking it.,

Nov 1, 2011 at 5:27 AM Post #7 of 8
Thanks a lot !!

Appreciate the suggestions! 

Ive contacted UMAus, and the best thing to do I think in my situation, is to get a remould of the SM3's, as that would be something close to neutral, and also buy a Merlin for the bass. 

At least if I know that I need solid isolation, or neutral sounds I can rely on the remoulded SM3's, and for that fun sound, I can go to the merlins. 

SO I kinda will have the best of both worlds. 

The only thing i'm worried about is isolation, but UMAus said that the isolation would be just as good as my SM3's with the Comply's or the W3's with the complys

@singh  Unfortunately I can't get the demos of the Miracles or the Merlins as they are in the state with Steve, as he's lending them out :frowning2:

I'm kinda leaning towards Merlin's cos they are also slightly cheaper.

@LegendaryLvl1 THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE TIP!! So are you saying its better for me to stand the whole time while I'm waiting for the moulds to set?
I also heard although you have to close your mouth, its better to open your jaw, or relax the cheek muscles to get a better seal.

You can use your Miracles for a jog without fearing for the sweat damage?? I'd love to do that too! 

James

Nov 1, 2011 at 6:35 AM Post #8 of 8

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE TIP!! So are you saying its better for me to stand the whole time while I'm waiting for the moulds to set?
I also heard although you have to close your mouth, its better to open your jaw, or relax the cheek muscles to get a better seal.

You can use your Miracles for a jog without fearing for the sweat damage?? I'd love to do that too! 

James

I don't think standing would be good. Just try to maintain a good posture when you're on the chair. Lean back (but not too back) onto the chairs backrest - and mimic how your body usually is when you stand. Most importantly, remember not to tilt your head too much. Try to keep it as parallel to the floor as you can.

You never close your mouth, Unique Melody do the open mouth impressions - where you open your mouth as you take  the impression. Generally, they will give you something to bite on, others will say to bite down on your knucles etc etc.

Yeah I've used the Miracles numerous times for jogs. Heavy ones at that, roughly 30 - 40 minute jogs where I'm sweating a lot. Unique Melody don't mention whether or not their custom IEM's are water resistant or proof - It would serve as a detriment to their warranties/guarantees, and from a business point of view I understand. But I still think that they should advertise that the IEM's are good to be used for light water activity.

Also - Isolation on the Miracles are fantastic. When I'm on a noisy train ride (in Australia), my Miracles combined with my J3 and some music will block out everything. Even without the music I don't think I'd be able to hear anything

Users who are viewing this thread

Back