Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Apr 4, 2021 at 5:44 AM Post #2,446 of 7,302
In terms of tips, I've definitely now landed on one that has worked very well across genres - my experience has been:
  1. Stock black tips: the bore is too wide and for me not allowing enough low-end plus at times way too bright (on some albums they sound incredible)
  2. Comply: powerful-incredible bass and a nice balance, but I feel I've lost too much high-end and soundstage takes a hit
  3. Xelastec: I really don't like the feel of these in my ears, maybe I should give them more time but they actually distracted too much from even evaluating SQ
  4. Final E Tips (I think, they came with the E5000?): completely suffocates the music, serious loss of soundstage
I decided to try another DUNU stock tip this morning (pic below) - what I have been using on the SA6. Its a silicone tip and slightly firmer than the MEST black stock, along with a narrower bore and slightly more depth, not a huge amount. I've gone a size down (vs SA6) and get a better/deeper insertion. Tried a few albums now and fantastic results, the bass I felt was missing vs black stock is now there at a level I want but not too emphasised - soundstage amazing, timbre etc all excellent.

All of course personal as to what works best but just in case anyone else still going through the process thought I would share my findings.

MEST-TIP.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 4, 2021 at 6:23 AM Post #2,447 of 7,302
In terms of tips, I've definitely now landed on one that has worked very well across genres - my experience has been:
  1. Stock black tips: the bore is too wide and for me not allowing enough low-end plus at times way too bright (on some albums they sound incredible)
  2. Comply: powerful-incredible bass and a nice balance, but I feel I've lost too much high-end and soundstage takes a hit
  3. Xelastec: I really don't like the feel of these in my ears, maybe I should give them more time but they actually distracted too much from even evaluating SQ
  4. Final E Tips (I think, they came with the E5000?): completely suffocates the music, serious loss of soundstage
I decided to try another DUNU stock tip this morning (pic below) - what I have been using on the SA6. Its a silicone tip and slightly firmer than the MEST black stock, along with a narrower bore and slightly more depth, not a huge amount. I've gone a size down (vs SA6) and get a better/deeper insertion. Tried a few albums now and fantastic results, the bass I felt was missing vs black stock is now there at a level I want but not too emphasised - soundstage amazing, timbre etc all excellent.

All of course personal as to what works best but just in case anyone else still going through the process thought I would share my findings.

Glad you're enjoying your set and found a tip that works for you. Its amazing how tip rolling significantly affects sound signature on these.

If you're looking for something between comply and stock black tips try CP360, wide bore but shallow tube and they appear to retain the bass without suffocating the treble. 'Issues' seen with the stock silicone and the comply tips, respectively.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #2,448 of 7,302

MEST-TIP.jpg

YMMV of course but on the OG Mest my findings were similar to yours and I settled on the ManderinEs Symbio W Eartips as the silicone on these is a bit firmer and doesn't collapse in your ear (I usually prefer foam tips for this reason) so these could also be an option - the bass remains impactful and at a level that isn't overbearing and they also keep the soundstage & timbre etc that we all like on these great iem's.

The only thing I did was remove the foam inside each silicone tip, which effectively makes them the same as the ManderinEs Symbio W Peels.

If you really don't like silicone then you could also try the Symbio Foam tips - whilst these are similar to Comply tips they don't effect the bass as much and stop it from becoming too overpowering/bloated and the treble being rolled off too quickly - again YMMV but good to experiment.
:beerchug:

PXL_20210404_095857864.jpg

Apr 4, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #2,449 of 7,302
Glad you're enjoying your set and found a tip that works for you. Its amazing how tip rolling significantly affects sound signature on these.

If you're looking for something between comply and stock black tips try CP360, wide bore but shallow tube and they appear to retain the bass without suffocating the treble. 'Issues' seen with the stock silicone and the comply tips, respectively.

Yes quite incredible how much they differ, funny now that with both the MEST and the IER-M9 my best tips are from DUNU.

I'm going to try the CP360 also, good to have more options in the armoury! Thanks for the suggestion.

Apr 4, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #2,450 of 7,302
YMMV of course but on the OG Mest my findings were similar to yours and I settled on the ManderinEs Symbio W Eartips as the silicone on these is a bit firmer and doesn't collapse in your ear (I usually prefer foam tips for this reason) so these could also be an option - the bass remains impactful and at a level that isn't overbearing and they also keep the soundstage & timbre etc that we all like on these great iem's.

The only thing I did was remove the foam inside each silicone tip, which effectively makes them the same as the ManderinEs Symbio W Peels.

If you really don't like silicone then you could also try the Symbio Foam tips - whilst these are similar to Comply tips they don't effect the bass as much and stop it from becoming too overpowering/bloated and the treble being rolled off too quickly - again YMMV but good to experiment.

PXL_20210404_095857864.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion, where did you get the Symbio? They sound like one that could work for me too.

Anyone tried these?

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOl3ouT

Apr 4, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #2,451 of 7,302
I love my original mest. Should I buy the new one or get a different iem?

Apr 4, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #2,453 of 7,302
Thanks for the suggestion, where did you get the Symbio? They sound like one that could work for me too.

Anyone tried these?

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOl3ouT

I got them from the following UK websites:

Foams you can get here:

https://www.audioconcierge.co.uk/portfolio/symbio-f-foam-eartips/

Silicone & Foams you can get here:

https://www.audiosanctuary.co.uk/headphone-spares/earbuds-ear-adapters/?features_hash=2-15257

Symbio website:

https://symbioeartips.com/

Hope you like them

Cheers

Apr 4, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #2,454 of 7,302
Apr 4, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #2,455 of 7,302
I believe that having the original Mest, you can “simulate” the MK2 by EQ raising 1 dB in bass and decreasing 1 dB in treble; and vice versa if you have the MK2.
We already know that not everything is possible through EQ, but in this case I think the result should be very close

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #2,456 of 7,302
I believe that having the original Mest, you can “simulate” the MK2 by EQ raising 1 dB in bass and decreasing 1 dB in treble; and vice versa if you have the MK2.
We already know that not everything is possible through EQ, but in this case I think the result should be very close

I've been curious about this as an OG owner. Can someone with both attempt to post a simulated rough EQ setting?

I'm personally curious if Mk2 has a little more 120-500Hz range and 2-4kHz range (or reduced 4-8kHz instead).

Apr 4, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #2,457 of 7,302
I've been curious about this as an OG owner. Can someone with both attempt to post a simulated rough EQ setting?

I'm personally curious if Mk2 has a little more 120-500Hz range and 2-4kHz range (or reduced 4-8kHz instead).

I would be interested to know the outcome of EQ and comparing mk1 to mk2, even if it were just to try and appreciate the qualitative difference between the single and double bone conduction driver and its contribution across the FR range...

I'm not totally sure it would be appreciable to the human ear...

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #2,458 of 7,302
Listening to The Orb just now, that's certainly music designed for the MEST - I've been a fan since 1993 and can say with certainty I've never heard them sound so amazing. As they use lots of samples, there are sounds coming from all over the place - it's pure sonic bliss, almost like standing in the middle of a concert. Wow.

20210404_165533.jpg

Apr 4, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #2,459 of 7,302
Hey there! I've got the original MEST, plus the new MEST Mk II.
I'm currently burning in the MEST MkII, and that's going to take a few days, but will be happy to listen to both and give my thoughts on your question at that time if you're interested and not in a huge hurry!

My initial out of the box brief impression is that they are rather different IEMs in tuning and hence could actually complement each other :)
MEST Mk II seems much more full-bodied, with a bit warmer, richer lower mids and a touch more mid-bass.
But, that's just a brief first impression. Will post more next week :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back