Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Apr 4, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #2,461 of 7,303
MEST Mk II seems much more full-bodied, with a bit warmer, richer lower mids and a touch more mid-bass.
This is a winner sound sig in my book

Apr 4, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #2,462 of 7,303
I've been curious about this as an OG owner. Can someone with both attempt to post a simulated rough EQ setting?

I'm personally curious if Mk2 has a little more 120-500Hz range and 2-4kHz range (or reduced 4-8kHz instead).
This is the graph comparing both, posting by Musicteck some pages before.

IMG-0129.JPG

Red is MK2 and blue is OG. A bit more bass and a bit less treble for MK2.

Apr 4, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #2,463 of 7,303
Not a big difference apparently

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #2,464 of 7,303
I love my original mest. Should I buy the new one or get a different iem?
This is simply my opinion. I can’t comment on the differences between the MEST 1 vs 2, and they may be significant, but if you love the sound of the OG MEST, I think you’re much better served going for a completely different IEM. One of the things I really like about the OG MEST (and likely this is true of the Mk.2 as well), is that it responds very well to EQ adjustments, so it’s easy to tailor the sound to one’s own tastes, while IMO, not sacrificing the wonderful technicalities and characteristics that make the MEST special. I admit, I’m not the biggest fan of the OG MEST‘s stock tuning. I like to make slight EQ adjustments.

Apr 4, 2021 at 9:55 PM Post #2,466 of 7,303
I have been using that slight flex pain to know they were seated properly. Still sound the same after several months, no damage for me either OG MEST.

My thoughts on flex, exactly, if you get a little “driver flex, ” then great, you know that you are getting a seal.

Apr 5, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #2,467 of 7,303
My current BA and hybrid collection:

97B04A21-D664-440E-976B-C5FF09ED7BC0.jpeg

I’ll have more to say along with comparisons, but the MKII has the best soundstage of the bunch, to my ears. I’ve never owned an IEM that is able to locate detail behind my head, so I wonder if the BC driver is the reason.
I have the VE A Edition too and I am really enjoying its musical presentation. Its also one of the best fitting universals I have ever put in my ears. Im thinking of purchasing the Mk11 as soon as I sell my Nio. Do they compliment each other nicely within the same stable? How does sound, fit etc compare? Please PM if its easier for you. Thanks

Apr 5, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #2,468 of 7,303
On the subject of trying different tips to go with Mest Mk2 - wonder if anyone tried (or could try) the AZLA Sedna Earfit Light on the Mest mk2, and comment on the results?
I tried them. Can't remember what my issue was. I think I felt there was a little top-and-tailing going on, I wasn't quite getting the range of frequency that I'd experienced previously. Went back to the Xelastec. Tried the Final E series - actually quite nice, and a bit better in terms of comfort. Will try them again, but did feel that soundstage took a bit of a hit, and that's one of the reasons I went for the Mest, so once again back to the X.

Sorry - this was on the MK1

Apr 5, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #2,469 of 7,303
I have the VE A Edition too and I am really enjoying its musical presentation. Its also one of the best fitting universals I have ever put in my ears. Im thinking of purchasing the Mk11 as soon as I sell my Nio. Do they compliment each other nicely within the same stable? How does sound, fit etc compare? Please PM if its easier for you. Thanks

Yes, I do believe the VE 8 and MKII compliment each other very well as they both have very different tonal signatures. Regarding fit, the MKII has a smaller shell compared to the original Mest, so I find it as comfortable as the VE 8.

I do plan to compare the performance differences as I get more time on them, so keep an eye out for further word. 😉

Apr 5, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #2,470 of 7,303
I jumped onto the train.
Shipping notification just received from Andrew.

My choice:
UM Universal MEST MKII × 1
4.4mm

Will play on L&P W2 and my DX220 Max once it comes back from repair...

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #2,471 of 7,303
Yes, I do believe the VE 8 and MKII compliment each other very well as they both have very different tonal signatures. Regarding fit, the MKII has a smaller shell compared to the original Mest, so I find it as comfortable as the VE 8.

I do plan to compare the performance differences as I get more time on them, so keep an eye out for further word. 😉

I’d like a comparison of VE8 vs Mest MKii vs Odin please! (As for me that’s ‘own’ vs ‘owned OG, now interested in revision’ vs ‘want!’ according) :)

Apr 5, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #2,472 of 7,303

No listening impressions yet. Been in meetings all morning! :frowning2:

Apr 5, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #2,474 of 7,303
Apr 5, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #2,475 of 7,303
I mentioned this in flinkenick’s high end thread, but make sure you give your new MKII some playtime before you judge its performance. When I first listened, I was surprised on how light sounding the bass was given the Mest’s reputation for bass performance, but after 100 hours of burn-in (same xelastic tips), the bass improved quite a bit with greater punch and decay. ✌️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back