Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Sep 9, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #616 of 7,319
Sep 9, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #617 of 7,319
I received a review unit of Mini MEST. These are my initial out of box impressions...Review to come in about a week... Comparison is to MEST...
1599694530181.png

Sep 9, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #618 of 7,319
received the MEST today and realize the sound quality is easily affected by the ear tips. I like the comply tips a lot but they tend to degrade fast. Do you guys have any suggestions for silicon-based ear tips?
Azlas are good and indestructible... I agree about comply foam...buying a case...

Sep 9, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #619 of 7,319
IIRC one guy commented that the MEST is incoherent, but I don't remember who. Very interested with the MEST, @UniqueMelody is it possible to get recessed 2pin version like the jp version with an international tuning?
I find the MEST to be very coherent...

Sep 9, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #620 of 7,319
Does anyone know if the Miini MEST come with the same stock cable. On the photos posted looks the same.
No, the cables are not the same. Mini is smaller gauge, beyond that, I don't know ...

IMG_9509.JPG

Sep 9, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #622 of 7,319
Do you think fit and seal might be a factor? I didn't find the MEST to lean on the agressive side. Lively for sure.

Am also curious if you could elaborate and the "clear distinction between the frequencies"?

There might be some confusion with my wording. It has an "aggressive" W-shaped signature & each of the frequencies seems to be slightly boosted. Notes are big and bold, it's not a smooth sound. If a portion of a song has a strong bassline, then you're going to get bass. When the vocals come into the mix, then the vocals are at the forefront. In this way it is a very lively and dynamic sound; the MEST is definitely not an IEM where you can just sit back and relax. I think if I paired it with my Hiby R6 my head would probably explode.

Could be the how the bone conductor presenting the quality of the mids. Many tuning has to sacrifice one part or the order. Somehow the MEST could make all 3 bass, mids and treble standout and lively

MEST has good quality mids, but vocals can be forward at times. Yes, MEST is lively and when a passage of a song highlights a certain frequency, that is what stands out.

This is concerning, seeing as I have really small and shallow ears, and I am far from a treble head.

I don't normally like to comment on fit as it is highly subjective; we all have different ears. Even though I too have small and shallow ears, it may not be an issue for you. Maybe reach out to Andrew at MusicTeck, he may be able to send you a demo pair. You can try swapping eartips to slightly tweak the sound. Foams should tame the highs, although may add to the already strong bass. As others have said, eartips do seem to affect MEST's sound.

Sep 9, 2020 at 10:12 PM Post #624 of 7,319
I am unable to find any description of the cable MEST comes with (or the replacement cable for MEST that UM sells at $430). Anybody has any idea what went into the making of this cable?
I think they said it was a copper SPC hybrid... I'm selling my MEST cable, new and unused if you are interested...

Sep 9, 2020 at 10:52 PM Post #625 of 7,319
I agree. I would love to save the $400 as well. Get me one of those $60 cables

This should always be an option. Being forced to pay $400 for a cable is completely nuts. I'm on the fence of buying a MEST, the only thing that keeps me from doing it is the fact that I know how much I'd be paying for just a cable... this is something that goes against my principes :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sep 10, 2020 at 12:32 AM Post #626 of 7,319
The MEST is worth it...some reviewers say its better than Odin. I don't even use the stock cable, I use the Leonidas 2

Sep 10, 2020 at 2:05 AM Post #627 of 7,319
Speaking of cables, I’m selling my 4.4 balanced MEST cable. Pm if interested :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back