Unique Melody Merlin and Miracle Audition Units
Apr 18, 2012 at 1:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Cassadian

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,

Just wondering... is there anyone in the CONUS or in the south of Chicago suburbs area willing to get together to be able to compare the two CIEM's together?  Anyone else who is interested and who actually has audition units is welcome. :D

If they have a Heir Audio 8.A that'd be welcome to be auditioned also! 

Apr 18, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #3 of 10
Yeah, preferably hoping for people to have universal audition units but if it's a custom fit then isn't it possible to attach a tip to the end where the sound bores open out and listen that way?

Apr 18, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #4 of 10
There are some companies that make a universal fitting custom earphones so you can try them. I found that these will not really give you the real sound and can easily make you believe it will not sound good due to the fitting and lack of true isolation.

Apr 18, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #5 of 10
Oh, no.  I still want the Custom IEM version.  I merely wish to try the units prior to investing a significant sum of money.  Some would even say a minute fortune for a college student.

Apr 18, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #6 of 10

Understood your reasoning. If you like bass and also you need clear mids and highs then you cannot go wrong with the Merlins. Why well because the Merlins has a dynamic driver for the bass and I have a lot of experience with dynamic earphones and one of them is a custom earphone (MG6Pro). Also the Merlins has 4 BA Drivers and BA Drivers do well in the mids and highs department while not as well in the bass department. I have a older hybrid earphone which has 1 dynamic driver and only 1 BA driver and it sounds  very nice but they do not make it anymore. If you are in USA you are closer to Future Sonics which has been making earphones since 1985 and they have a very nice all around custom earphone as well.
Quote:
Oh, no.  I still want the Custom IEM version.  I merely wish to try the units prior to investing a significant sum of money.  Some would even say a minute fortune for a college student.

Apr 18, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #7 of 10
Thank you very much for your contribution.  I actually have looked in the MG6 Pro and have read KunLun's comprehensive review.

However, sometimes hearing really is believing and I'd like to confirm my speculations (I only have mere Klipsch Image X10's and haven't even explored my tastes yet.  I'm not sure whether I'm a bass head, analytic, etc.) and finalize a purchase.

And apparently you can't put tips on finished customs.  EGAD!

Apr 18, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #8 of 10
The customs will never ever need a tip and the isolation is almost 100% which will be scarry at first when you are walking but the isolation helps in the clearity. The MG^Pro is perfect for a BASSHEAD but it is NOT a BASSHEAD earphone (how can it be both?) The vents, medium vent it is neutral while at the bigger vent when there is bass then it will pound and also the sound stage is very wide no universal can be as wide. I also believe the merlins will provide you a great sound but I do not think it has adjustable vent.

Quote:
Thank you very much for your contribution.  I actually have looked in the MG6 Pro and have read KunLun's comprehensive review.

However, sometimes hearing really is believing and I'd like to confirm my speculations (I only have mere Klipsch Image X10's and haven't even explored my tastes yet.  I'm not sure whether I'm a bass head, analytic, etc.) and finalize a purchase.

And apparently you can't put tips on finished customs.  EGAD!

Apr 18, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #9 of 10
It does not.  From what I've heard although the unobtrusive venting allows for better artwork, it hinders optimal sound quality from the dynamic driver.  This is opinionated and I have no studies or papers to prove this.  

So much speculation can be done, but nothing compares to the real deal eh?  And yeah, youi're definitely right, plunging into customs is going to be SICK (for the wallet, oh well, he lived well).

Apr 18, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #10 of 10
yes the vents are there but dude its minute intrusion you wont be able to hear anyone if they are talking to you. you know why dynamics have a vent? because they move air so you can really feel the bass while the BA Drivers just allows you to hear it but wont shake your jaw bone.

Quote:
It does not.  From what I've heard although the unobtrusive venting allows for better artwork, it hinders optimal sound quality from the dynamic driver.  This is opinionated and I have no studies or papers to prove this.  

So much speculation can be done, but nothing compares to the real deal eh?  And yeah, youi're definitely right, plunging into customs is going to be SICK (for the wallet, oh well, he lived well).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back