Unique Melody Mason and Mentor V3+ Announcement and Impression Thread.
Jun 15, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #92 of 120
OK, here is my detailed review of UM Mason v3+ and Mentor v3+, including EA Phanes upgrade cable!

um_v3+mason-mentor-41.jpg

Jun 15, 2020 at 7:46 PM Post #93 of 120
I liked the MEST (my first UM) so much that I am getting the itch for Mason V3+. Anyone have a relative impression compared to my recent memory Andro/Solaris SE/IER-Z1R???

For reference:
  • Andro: I like the balance (just a touch too much 500-1kHz). Sounds a bit plasticky and lack resolution.
  • Solaris SE: Too mid forward and treble pushed back.
  • Z1R: Too much bass (I like MEST/Oriolus bass), too little mids. Love the treble and timbre of acoustic instruments and wide soundstage.
  • MEST: Best detail and balance but could use a hint more lower mids (500-1kHz) for body. Sounds a little thin and soundstage could be wider.
Does Mason V3+ cover some of these pros/cons? In terms of headphones, would you say Mason V3+ is more HD600 type reference tuning, or Focal type lively tuning, or kind of flat like Hifiman planars?

Jul 1, 2020 at 7:25 AM Post #94 of 120
Jul 1, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #95 of 120
Jul 1, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #96 of 120
Our review of the custom Mason V3+ is now published - including comparisons with the MEST, Mason V3 and the Mentor V3+ :)

https://headfonics.com/unique-melody-mason-v3-review-2/

@marcusd just a heads-up; where it says "..you may wish to skip straight to sound impressions and comparisons you can click on page 2."
The link to page 2 (the one embedded in that sentence) actually goes to a review of the Sultan.
Which isn't all that bad, as that was an interesting review too, but I thought you might want to know! :)

Nice review though; loved all the comparisons to the older Mason V3 and the MEST :)

Jul 1, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #97 of 120
@marcusd just a heads-up; where it says "..you may wish to skip straight to sound impressions and comparisons you can click on page 2."
The link to page 2 (the one embedded in that sentence) actually goes to a review of the Sultan.
Which isn't all that bad, as that was an interesting review too, but I thought you might want to know! :)

Nice review though; loved all the comparisons to the older Mason V3 and the MEST :)

Good spot, fixed and check is in the post :D

Sep 5, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #98 of 120
Good spot, fixed and check is in the post :D
The mason v3+ is still impressive after a week of listening. I heard the mest is freaking awesome by all the reviews out there. Hope to try the mest soon.

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #100 of 120
Jan 13, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #102 of 120
Mason V3+ is one the best all BA iems out there. The bass is quick, fast, and accurate and hits hard when the music calls for it. The mids is dynamic and vocals is amazing. The treble is very detailed and reveals all instruments, guitars, and piano with utmost clarity. I have my reference standard for all 3 iems types. My reference standard for DD iems is the FW10000, for all BA is Mason V3+ and Hybrid iems is my Jomo Trinity and Percivali . There may be better hybrids out there but haven't heard them yet.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #103 of 120
Mason V3+ is one the best all BA iems out there. The bass is quick, fast, and accurate and hits hard when the music calls for it. The mids is dynamic and vocals is amazing. The treble is very detailed and reveals all instruments, guitars, and piano with utmost clarity. I have my reference standard for all 3 iems types. My reference standard for DD iems is the FW10000, for all BA is Mason V3+ and Hybrid iems is my Jomo Trinity and Percivali . There may be better hybrids out there but haven't heard them yet.
It fits well example "Rock", One of my Favorite bands is Linkin Park

Jan 14, 2021 at 3:17 AM Post #105 of 120
The mason v3+ is still impressive after a week of listening. I heard the mest is freaking awesome by all the reviews out there. Hope to try the mest soon.
My blogmate @Jackpot77 loves the MEST.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back