Unique Melody Martian: UM's New 2DD + 2BA Universal-only IEM
Sep 22, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #228 of 338
  It was a good review and I'm personally satisfied with the descriptions in detail, Martian is definitely a great piece of work. 

It'll be a popular IEM I suppose.

I enjoyed the review. I've been debating buying these even though I just bought the Maestro v2. It sounds like the sound signature (and driver # and type obviously) is very different which could be a good compliment to the Maestro. Every time I read a good IEM review my bank account seems to get a bit smaller. 

Sep 29, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #231 of 338
So I had sold off a series of IEM's to cut down my inventory (still have some Inear 4s to go) and decided to spend time researching options. I had some Oriolus and decided to look at hybrids. The Martians came into the picture and purchase them on Amazon from Musiktek.

It was a speedy delivery , so that was nice. Typical box contents and a round metal case, much smaller than the Oriolus , burn them in for 20 hrs prior to initial session with a standard pack of songs.

I am finding that it with further detail that I heard on the Oriolus including some separation, with some of the songs EDM seems to keep up very well like my Earsonics.

One item that frustrated me with the Oriolus was changing tips and the amount to get to a great seal. The seal is my issue (ear) but the nozzle was not the friendliest. The Martians just have the dimensions to make easy and exercise tip rolling

Also one item is ear fatigue is not occurring at the 1-2hr session , maybe is the profile or weight combination

Anyway still on my initial, I will allow another burn in period to get to 50, to see changes

Not sure how they achieve this kind of sound signature and device at a relative low cost, comparing of course to Oriolus or FitEar334 numbers

I am also finding that overtime I am moving my IEM tuning preference towards some of the Chinese firms like HUM, UM, etc versus what I have gotten from Japan. Is this tuning difference in mind or are other seeing this growing. Sony has always had a specific sound tuning signature. But now I am seeing a lot of Japanese IEM's coming so close in sound signature to each other that has eliminated that "discovery excitement"

Will continue our journey

Sep 30, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #232 of 338
Maybe I was expecting too much from a 2 DD config after having tested the Rose Cappuccinos, but I was disappointed by the signature of the Martians.
Why going through the trouble of combining 2 DD if the final signature doesn't put some emphasis on bass ?

Sure the sound is nice, clear and relatively detailed, but such a result can be obtained with 1 DD + 2 BA for a smaller budget. Bass is a bit too polite in my opinion.

Nevertheless I was quite happy with the ergonomics and the stock cable, these UM iems are comfy and light. The Maestro v2 was more enjoyable despite the higher price, but it does have more competition the same driver config and the same signature.

Sep 30, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #233 of 338
Martian bass texturing was really good. I was happy hear a more even handed bass approach myself. To me everyone else tends to over do it when adding dynamic bass drivers. I greatly preferred Martian bass to Oriolus bass.

Sep 30, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #234 of 338
Martian bass texturing was really good. I was happy hear a more even handed bass approach myself. To me everyone else tends to over do it when adding dynamic bass drivers. I greatly preferred Martian bass to Oriolus bass.

I didn't have the pleasure to test the Oriolus so far.
I wouldn't completely agree with the level of bass for hybrid IEMs. Usually they go for strong bass when they only use 1 or 2 BA drivers because than the DD has to handle the higher bass and lower mids so the mids don't sound recessed overall. Of course not everyone is going to like such tuning.
When they add more BA drivers, dedicated to the mids, they usually do a crossover with less bass so there is not too much overlapping in the lower mids, and the final result is usually flatter, which many seems to enjoy (me, not particularly).

At least you know you shouldn't buy the Rose Cappuccinos, they have a marked L signature. :wink:

Sep 30, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #235 of 338
Would agree with Shotgunshane on the texturing, but when I compared both Martian and Oriolus I found that the Martian sound profile was more elaborate.I thought it could be the additional driver but also the tuning associated to were is the OEM coming from USA,Japan or China. It is one thing that I am seeing since 2014. So the quantity of drivers play a fact but the approach on the tuning by a specific school of thought is taken a huge part.

Will keep testing to see how it settles after extended burn in

Sep 30, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #236 of 338
Martian is pretty good, if used with Mojo together :p
C252E1BC-417F-44A8-B6EB-BD39B6E3DCC8_zps0pcwh3dr.jpg

Oct 1, 2016 at 1:17 AM Post #237 of 338
Maybe I was expecting too much from a 2 DD config after having tested the Rose Cappuccinos, but I was disappointed by the signature of the Martians.
Why going through the trouble of combining 2 DD if the final signature doesn't put some emphasis on bass ?

Sure the sound is nice, clear and relatively detailed, but such a result can be obtained with 1 DD + 2 BA for a smaller budget. Bass is a bit too polite in my opinion.

Nevertheless I was quite happy with the ergonomics and the stock cable, these UM iems are comfy and light. The Maestro v2 was more enjoyable despite the higher price, but it does have more competition the same driver config and the same signature.

I dont think the idea behind 2dd was to provide gobs of bone shaking bass. Martian's bass is some of the best I have heard when it comes to quality. Quantity wise it is only slightly above neutral but that works well with Martian's signature. Its actually pretty well balanced.

As for the signature, I consider Martian to be near neutral but with superb resolution and clarity. So if someone is expecting loads of bass and a v shaped fun sound because of the 2dd and hybrid setup, Martian ain't that. I cant really fault this tuning either, as I happen to like it a lot!

Oct 1, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #240 of 338
I was prety convinced that I was going to either return or sell my new Merlin V2 unicersals, since they did not have quite the snap and slam that I was looking for, which was surprising to me since they do have a dynamic driver for the bottom. I was gonna give them one more listen and decide, by reconnecting their stock cable, so I would have everything together to move them along.  I could not find any channel markings on the supplied cable (or I am just blind, lol), so I took out the old, trusty Fluke meter to figure it out by continuity testing.  Unless I had unknowlingly bent backwards the memory loops, these things have positve in the front, and gnd in the back.  I checked twice, and am pretty confident about this.  Many people claim that polarity makes no difference, but those who do claim it has to do with the leading edge or smack of a note.  

Guess what, they have more snap and sparkle than I remembered them having.Go figure- maybe they will stay after all.  If I try other cables, I will reverse them and see how they fare that way.

Anyone know if my pair are a fluke, of if UM wires theirs the opposite of standard practice?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back