Unique Melody 3X Universal Triple Hybrid - AUSTRALIAN TOUR and Impressions
Mar 6, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #241 of 328
AX30/35? 

I'm surprised not many people know about them. I absolutely love the AX35 and it's a steal for $105 but I am not so sure about the AX30. I think you might as well spend a little more and get the AX35. 

Mar 7, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #242 of 328
  AX30/35? 

I'm surprised not many people know about them. I absolutely love the AX35 and it's a steal for $105 but I am not so sure about the AX30. I think you might as well spend a little more and get the AX35. 

Even though the AX30/35 are both super amazing value, compared to the others in the photo, there's no special WOW factor.  They're excellent in everything, but nothing jumps and says WOW! 
wink_face.gif

Mar 7, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #247 of 328
I can't believe how big the um 3x is! The Dn1000 looks tiny in comparison! I just hope they'll fit on my tiny ears...

Mar 7, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #249 of 328
Mar 7, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #250 of 328
  Be interested in Billy's thoughts with 3X and DN-1000.

Out of all the hybrids, I use the DN-1000 the least, not by choice, but ensure I spend more time with them now. :)

Quote:
I can't believe how big the um 3x is! The Dn1000 looks tiny in comparison! I just hope they'll fit on my tiny ears...

Yeah, they're a little big, but they're very comfy.  They're probably the only IEM/Universal where I would use a small tip too.

Mar 7, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #252 of 328

I'm not claiming yours btw!
wink_face.gif

Hahaha of course, sorry mate, wasn't my intention to meant that way...
bigsmile_face.gif

As Billy said, it looks huge, but intelligently designed, they 'fill' your canal, and never in my live I am able to use medium tips, let alone small sized, but with the 3X, small tips (large bore) give the best seal to my ear

The mold is basically almost the same as UM Mentor's mold, @svyr can confirm this as he has Mentor, and he's next in line for 3X 
wink_face.gif

What's the isolation like on the unique melody's?

Thanks

with small tips, very good isolation, out of 10, I'd give it 8

Mar 7, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #253 of 328
With the family asleep and a few bourbons under my belt, I’ve had some time to sit down, relax and listen to these great IEM's!  

As we all know, we all like different tonality in our IEM’s, and these are all different beasts in their own right.

There was some talk of sibilance with the UM 3X, however with the current pair that are in my hands, I didn’t find the UM 3X to be any more sibilant than the others.  I did find that insertion depth did play a big part here, and found the smallest silicone tip to work best with the UM 3X (strangely, I could never fit such a small silicone tip in any other IEM I’ve used ever).

Firstly, Unique Melody have to be commended on the build-quality of the UM 3X.  Its simply superb!  Comfort and fit were great, especially considering the size of the housings.  The cable is excellent, however I wish they included a better cable cinch and Y-connection instead of clear plastic tabs.  Its the only thing that looks kind of cheap in the whole package.  The hard metal case simply feels bullet proof!  Be careful taking this in your carry on luggage while traveling, as I’m sure the airline scanners will go crazy with something like this!  

Another concern I had is that I did experience some driver flex in both earpieces, more so in the right earpiece.  Something not apparent in the AX60 or DN-1000, and only slightly in the SuperDarts.

Unique Melody UM 3X vs Astrotec AX60

With respect to the UM 3X and the AX60.  Both have quite a wide soundstage and full sounding mid-range.  With the AX60 having a warmer mid-range, the UM 3X feels a step above in terms of clarity and instrument separation.  With respect to imaging, I haven’t heard anything below $500 that is as good as the UM 3X.  Period!  Its so easy to immerse yourself in your music, you actually feel like you’re part of the performance.  Not sure if its the size of the housings or the impeccable positioning of the internals, but the result is simply superb.  Bass is tighter and better textured in the UM 3X than the AX60.

IMO, the UM 3X deserves its price tag!

Unique Melody UM 3X vs Dunu DN-1000

Comparing the UM 3X directly with the DN-1000, it definitely feels like its a step down, in terms of soundstage, imaging, instrument separation, etc.  And where everyone's taste differs, for me I feel the DN-1000 is a little drier sounding than the others. Don’t get me wrong, the DN-1000 is an exceptional IEM for its price, its mid-range is probably the clearest of the lot, along with the darkest background.  However for me it simply just can’t match the musicality of the UM 3X.  

The DN-1000 does appear to be the closest match to the UM 3X compared to the others, however the UM 3X still takes everything to the next level.  If you think the DN-1000 bass hits hard, the UM 3X is oh my!  The DN-1000 can’t really match the superb soundstage, imaging and instrument separation of the UM 3X.

Maybe the DN-2000 will give it a run for its money?

Unique Melody UM 3X vs Atomic Floyd SuperDarts

Not a real comparison here, as the SuperDarts are only a 1+1 hybrid, however their exceptional clarity and super bass presence earn them the right to at least have a mention, LOL!  The SuperDarts’ mid-range is slightly recessed compared to the UM 3X, and is probably the most V-Shaped of the lot here.  The instrument separation and imaging of the SuperDarts has always been superb, however when you directly compare them to the UM 3X, its short comings are very noticeable and you quickly realise they’re out of their depth in this company.

With facing the dilemma of being woken up in a few hours by our overly energetic son, I must admit defeat and call it a night...

edit: spelling!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back