Unique Melody 3X Universal Triple Hybrid - AUSTRALIAN TOUR and Impressions
Mar 1, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #227 of 328

A few quick points:

What I liked: The bass. It punches deep, low, and is satisfying. From what I remember, it has a lot more impact than the H200. My tests indicate that from 80Hz to 30Hz things sounded pretty flat. Very impressive. And the tests were oh-so-rumbly and fun, I really enjoy the way the bass is tuned. It's how a hybrid should be, if you ask me. A nice mid-bass thump, with a decent amount of sub-bass to let the decay roll out cleanly.

I also liked the tin. It has a healthy weight to it, It's very solid, keeps the IEMs snug and protected. Even if the logo isn't perfectly in the middle of the lid *twitch*.

These IEMs sound great with classical pieces, string, wind and especially some of the more gentle pieces. Basically, these are a great companion to acoustic and classical pieces, live or not. They really sing with a good concerto! 

Unfortunately, they are not so good with hip hop and dance music. The bass is definitely a welcome addition, and shines beautifully with these genres, but..

The sibilance is still there. I didn't get a chance to listen to these last time around, but my tests indicate it's attack is between 6-8k, and requires EQ to be listened to at decent volumes, or for long periods of time.

I'm hoping it's just my sensitive ears, but if I'm listening to anything electronic, it's a little too sharp for me without a touch of EQ.

EDIT: compared to the Westone UM3X:

The UM3X is a little darker overall, as it is a stage monitor, designed to be listened to at a loud volume. Depending on your listening volume, the "separation" would be in favour of the Unique Melody 3X, as it's a little more "toppy" and bright, comparatively. 

Mar 2, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #228 of 328
Awesome write-up Whitelotus!

Mar 2, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #230 of 328
Nice one Jensy...superb stuff...

I'm not going to comment too much on the sibilance issue, as I didn't hear what you heard 
wink_face.gif
, to be perfectly honest I don't hear any peaks, slight sibilance on certain tracks on loud volume, maybe my overall perception has a lot to do on how it is now compared to the original one, I don't know, let's wait to see what other hears, and what master grasshopper H20 hears, as him and Lin are the only ones who auditioned the original unit beside myself.

beerchug.gif

Mar 2, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #232 of 328
  Nice one Jensy...superb stuff...

I'm not going to comment too much on the sibilance issue, as I didn't hear what you heard 
wink_face.gif
, to be perfectly honest I don't hear any peaks, slight sibilance on certain tracks on loud volume, maybe my overall perception has a lot to do on how it is now compared to the original one, I don't know, let's wait to see what other hears, and what master grasshopper H20 hears, as him and Lin are the only ones who auditioned the original unit beside myself.

beerchug.gif

All good my friend - to each their own. I didn't hear the last one, and my ears are pretty sensitive. I especially like a darker signature, perhaps that is part of the reason why I feel it's a little sibilant?

Still a brilliant IEM. My girlfriend loved the bass when she tried it!

Looks like they are off to Billy next - @djvkool do you want to have a look at them first, or should I hand them straight to @billymav ?

Mar 2, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #233 of 328

All good my friend - to each their own. I didn't hear the last one, and my ears are pretty sensitive. I especially like a darker signature, perhaps that is part of the reason why I feel it's a little sibilant?

Still a brilliant IEM. My girlfriend loved the bass when she tried it!

Looks like they are off to Billy next - @djvkool do you want to have a look at them first, or should I hand them straight to @billymav ?

Drop them straight to @billymav mate 

Mar 5, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #237 of 328
But, for example Vsonic 07, Monster Gratitudes (and a lot of others) are better then other technically better phones.
So, maybe some miracles versus 'Miracles')

Mar 5, 2014 at 5:46 AM Post #238 of 328
I have had both with me (the first version of the 3X). Th Miracles have better detail, separation, imaging and a more balanced sound. I found the 3X very peaky (but apparently that's mostly fixed). The 3X does have a bigger soundstage, IMO a better overall bass response and a more fun sound sig. The isolation is obviously better on a custom but the universal model I owned still had slightly better isolation. In terms of fit between my universal miracles and the 3X, the 3X was more comfortable but obviously YMMV. 

The 3X doesnt do bad at all at half the price, but if you have the money go for the Miracle or perhaps the Mentor. 

Mar 5, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #239 of 328
Thank you, Lin0003! Super information for me) Soundstage is very important to me, so i think i will be happy with 3X. Mentors are not in my price range (and price+brain range too:)) Customs are not for me now, my tastes can change.

Mar 6, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #240 of 328
Oh man... These are all so different and great in their own right...  Would having 4 Hybrids in your listening collection be a little overkill?

Impressions to follow soon...

PS - There could easily be another one or two in that stable...
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back