Unique Melody 3D Terminator 3DT Announcement Thread
Jan 31, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #391 of 1,469
Burned in 3DT for ~100hrs (hi gain, 3.5, R5). Switched to N3pro, balanced, med gain, using banned cable, spiral dots ++. Treble, upper register, still sounds thin and narrow to me, eg jazz woodwinds/brass. Dunu D02 cable arrives Monday, perhaps this will prove decisive, though I’m rather expecting another instance of plug insertion depth issue. Physically beautiful iem, though, with lows and mids sounding natural and well extended. Suggestions appreciated.

Where are you located? I can send you a pair of modded and channel matched Moondrop filter if Dunu cable doesn’t work out for you.

Jan 31, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #392 of 1,469
I am not even kidding. It sounds more natural than the Z1R. Looking at UM’s own frequency response graph, I thought I was walking into a bass cannon. Boy was I ever wrong!
And there it is....... The reason ears trump graphs. Thank you you for your impression. I guess I too better get a set!

Jan 31, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #394 of 1,469
30191462-9249-4FF3-A769-311FCEB9AF1E.jpeg

here is a graph showing the frequency response between the two filters. I personally like the Tanchjim filter smidgen more for smoother replay but they are very similar. Lower Mids to Bass area is identical so I zoomed into upper mids to treble region.

41025155-0F23-425B-8E78-3A7C9BBF8DF1.jpeg
Added original f.response for reference

Thanks @tgx78 that's very helpful :thumbsup: They do indeed seem very similar but as I haven't got any Tanchjim filters to hand at the moment, it's nice to see that the differences are very small, so I will have a go with the 5 point mod on the Moondrop filter and see how that works out. Cheers :beerchug:

Jan 31, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #395 of 1,469
I

My Z1R will be listed on canuckaudio soon haha.
Nice! I could just take a little drive and pay a you visit. BTW, I just passed your description of the 3dt over to my wife. She just doesn't get my fascination with IEMs so I told her to read what you had written so she could literally hear the music through her eyes.... You've got an amazing way of writing, painting, hearing.....

Jan 31, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #397 of 1,469
Will do! You are very gracious. Just launched my new site this morning and filming a training program for a client today & tomorrow but I'll PM you and maybe we can hook up later in the week. It'll be great to see you.

Jan 31, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #398 of 1,469
3DTM9.jpg

Sony IER-M9 (5BA) vs. UM 3DT (3DD) with Tanchjim filter

Sony IEMs are often highlighted for their congeniality with classical music, but their latest models (now becoming a bit aged), especially the IER-Z1R and M9, are known to be very responsive from low to ultra high frequencies, so they can be played almost any genres with great finesse.

For example, when listening to jazz vocals with the M9, I am impressed by the fact that the bass and piano have a thick bass range and bring out a low-end with a sense of sound pressure. Moreover, since the range of the vocal has a clear projection while reproducing the weighty bass, the texture of the important male and female vocal range such as intonation and treble overtones are without a hint of cloudiness. If you listen to an IEM for longer session, I recommend that you experience the sound of the M9 as it provides a very relaxing yet detailed listen.

Compared to the M9, the 3DT is like a grand piano as it brings out a sense of scale and dynamics that approaches a big concert venue. This triple dynamic driver array has certain je ne sais quoi about the sound output and configuration that allows them to be vibrant, alive, engaging, and highly expressive, yet at the same time to sound neutrally balanced with almost complete freedom from overt colourations. Switching to the M9, it almost sounds flat, lifeless and down right intimate in scale for about 2-3 mins until you start to understand, assimilate and subsequently appreciate its smooth yet highly polished tuning with excellent midrange and exemplary treble extension and articulation.

So for me, the 3DT does an excellent job of conveying a sense of real instruments performing within a real space whereas M9 does great job portraying non-acoustic instruments and vocals in a recording studio. Both can pick up ambient and spatial cues found in good recordings in an uncommonly vivid and believable way. I find them quite complimentary to each other and therefore are not in any direct competition.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 11:34 PM Post #399 of 1,469
3DTM9.jpg

Sony IER-M9 (5BA) vs. UM 3DT (3DD) with Tanchjim filter

Sony IEMs are often highlighted for their congeniality with classical music, but their latest models (now becoming a bit aged), especially the IER-Z1R and M9, are known to be very responsive from low to ultra high frequencies, so they can be played almost any genres with great finesse.

For example, when listening to jazz vocals with the M9, I am impressed by the fact that the bass and piano have a thick bass range and bring out a low-end with a sense of sound pressure. Moreover, since the range of the vocal has a clear projection while reproducing the weighty bass, the texture of the important male and female vocal range such as intonation and treble overtones are without a hint of cloudiness. If you listen to an IEM for longer session, I recommend that you experience the sound of the M9 as it provides a very relaxing yet detailed listen.

Compared to the M9, the 3DT is like a grand piano as it brings out a sense of scale and dynamics that approaches a big concert venue. This triple dynamic driver array has certain je ne sais quoi about the sound output and configuration that allows them to be vibrant, alive, engaging, and highly expressive, yet at the same time to sound neutrally balanced with almost complete freedom from overt colourations. Switching to the M9, it almost sounds flat, lifeless and down right intimate in scale for about 2-3 mins until you start to understand, assimilate and subsequently appreciate its smooth yet highly polished tuning with excellent midrange and exemplary treble extension and articulation.

So for me, the 3DT does an excellent job of conveying a sense of real instruments performing within a real space whereas M9 does great job portraying non-acoustic instruments and vocals in a recording studio. Both can pick up ambient and spatial cues found in good recordings in an uncommonly vivid and believable way. I find them quite complimentary to each other and therefore are not in any direct competition.
A very nice comparison. So the 3DT has more expansive soundstage and M9 has slightly more intimate? And M9 is a smoother alternative whereas 3DT has a more energetic presentation?

Feb 1, 2021 at 12:11 AM Post #401 of 1,469
The 3DT has better imaging and instrumental separation. Soundstage is also more expansive than the Zen.

Zen sounds bit more hi-fi though meaning its sound reproduction feels more faithful to the original.. :)

I need to revisit some of the live recordings which I was part of. I want to gauge the timbral accuracy between the two. Piano sounds bit more correct on the Zen, whereas Violin sounds really good on the 3DT.

Guess it’s good to have both haha

How do the FAN and 3DT (damn, kicked my PTSD off when read that as the 3 Donald Trump!!!) compare? I'd love to read your impressions!

Feb 1, 2021 at 12:15 AM Post #402 of 1,469
Feb 1, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #403 of 1,469
Feb 1, 2021 at 12:39 AM Post #404 of 1,469
Lol was gonna say... my 3dt arrives tomorrow I can't wait!!! But as of now of my iems it goes

VOLT

blessing 2
Shanling ae3

Seeaudio Yume

iBasso it00
PENON Fan

Kinera bd005 pro/ TD2

Treat the gaps as tier lists. For their price the Yume and ae3 are impressive. For only $30 more than the fan it's kind of crazy. If I didn't get the fan discounted I'd be upset about it's $139 listing.
Will add the orb and 3dt in the next 2 days as they arrive.

Feb 1, 2021 at 12:39 AM Post #405 of 1,469

Users who are viewing this thread

Back