Unique Grado Rattle
Apr 2, 2012 at 9:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

AndreyS

New Head-Fier
Hello folks!

My Grado SR325is are unhappy with me.

It's been a while since my last post. Unfortunately, my return is due to some amount of desperation after trying to fix Grado rattle with no success.

I believe this rattle is this time exclusively my fault. Once, when trying to remove hairs form the driver, I forgot about the "gentle" part. Also, I used the GS1000 pads for a while, which could not have helped since I needed double the volume level to get the same sound amplitude to my ears as with flats or bowls.

I have a theory that, if I didn't tear the driver at a corner, which it doesn't look like I have, I had uniformly dislocated the driver cone either forward or back.

If I breathe in and out lightly for this rattling driver, I hear popping at the start of both inhalation and exhalation. This does not happen at the right driver...

The rattle, by the way, is very very very subtle, but I know it's there (it's like The Tell Tale Heart or something). I can completely forget about if for hours and hours, and it will come back ever-so-subtly when a certain frequency is hit for more than a moment. When listening to "State of the Art" by Gotye, for example, I can just hear it. When listening to an exhaust system clip on youtube, it is a bit more prevalent, but still takes my knowledge of what my cans sound like and removing one ear pad at a time to check for this said rattle.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

Thanks a million in advance!

Apr 2, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #2 of 15
Hey guys, if you respond, I'll post pictures of a classic Mercedes I saw yesterday! It's quite a beauty!

I'll even post pictures of my cans without the SR325 buttons at the middle of the grill!

Apr 2, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #6 of 15
If it borders you, why don't you just send them to Grado Labs for checking? They are not million miles away from you.

Apr 2, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #7 of 15
As you said, the rattle seemed quite unique, so I doubt anyone here would have any experience with it. It's probably the best to just take them back to Grado Labs.
Where is the Mercedes?
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 2, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #8 of 15

Quote:
Halp...!?

Have you tried turning up the volume and seeing if the vibration will pop the diaphragms back? Or blow in and pull back slightly and let go. 

Apr 2, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #9 of 15
Hey guys! Thanks for the tip!

I tried all the gentle blowing. Playing music loudly doesn't really do that anything.

It still rattles a bit!

Looks like sending to Grado is my only option...

As promised, here are the pictures of that Mercedes!

Here it is!

One more question:

Do you guys think will refuse service if my cans are modded lightly (e.g. removed silk, middle buttons, and holes poked in felt)?

Apr 3, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #10 of 15
I had this problem with my Alessandros. The magnet pulled the tweezers I was using into the driver which dented the cup. I used a needle and poked it from behind (through holes made in the felt mod) to get the dent out and the rattle stopped. You can try that, just be careful.

Apr 3, 2012 at 6:49 AM Post #11 of 15

Quote:
One more question:

Do you guys think will refuse service if my cans are modded lightly (e.g. removed silk, middle buttons, and holes poked in felt)?

Quite possible.... :frowning2:

Gave them a call.

Apr 3, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #12 of 15
both my grados have had rattle issues and blowing on them ended up making it worse, just send them in to grado to have them fix it.

Apr 3, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #13 of 15
Grado said they'll cover them under warranty despite my mods!

WOO GRADO!

I will try to send them out today so I can get them back before the semester ends!

Thanks for all your input guys! I hope you liked the Mercedes pictures!

Apr 3, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #14 of 15
I can't comment on your rattlin' Grado's (except to give a thumbs up to their willingness to stand behind their product)...

... that 280CE is tight!  I have an '84 300D that's my daily driver... toughest car ever built, period!

Apr 3, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #15 of 15
Hey guys...

It turns out that a significant amount of music in library has rattle in it in the left channel. I just tried another set of headphones and different source and amp, and guess what, the same rattle exists in the same songs...

I'm a bit of a doofus, evidently...

Thanks guys, and don't judge too hard please!
lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back