Uninstall envy24 drivers?
Mar 14, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #16 of 25
Yeah, the modem(intel 537EP chip) is the other bane of my existence. I've got the sound on it shut off in every conceivable way. It has no speaker. So I guess it feels the need to output somehow no matter what. All my windows sounds are shut off.

I'm listening to John McLaughlin play Bill Evans on an acoustic guitar. Sounds good. One last thing. I have everything in audio control panel set up like you advised, Foobar is set to DirectSound 2.0 because, sample rate auto is checked, but above that it says "sample rate state current 96000 Hz" Does that mean anything or is it just garbage?

Mar 14, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjonno /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh man. My system is becoming unstable. The speaker test works now only on one channel; silence in the other; sometimes no sound in either. But if I put up a song on FB2K, it plays fine! I cannot use kernel streaming with this driver (500b) It just doesn't work, FB2K brings up an error box.

The ironic thing is that on my main system, I have 473b driver and can do all the stuff you talk about. But I use the optical out and it makes no diff if I'm KS or DS2.0 or hi res or low res or whatever. It all sounds the same and it's great.

I am going to try a system restore to a time before I bought the new soundcard. Then I'll be sure there is no evidence of Envy24. I hope...

So are only going to use the card Digital Optical out? If you are, you should flash the card with Prodigy 7.1 and install use the Prodigy 7.1 drivers from Audiotrak. With the Prodigy flash and drivers you can get native ASIO and KS support, thru digital out. But all the analog outs will not work, unless you reflash it back to AV710.

Mar 14, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #18 of 25
On this machine I am not planning to use optical out since I don't have a DAC or anything else to optical into. I have seen your other threads and know you are into this Prodigy driver. I am using the optical out on my main system (different) because I happen to have a Pioneer AV receiver with toslink IN. I use thr pre outs of that reciever into a modded acurus and that drives a 25+ year old Threshold Stasis power amp into scanspeak based cabinets I built. It's awesome. To be quite honest, I couldn't follow the htread on flashing the card with Prodigy drivers. I've flashed alot of stuff in my time successfully. Even turned my RioVolt SP-90 into a 100 and had to write some hexadec code for that one. Didn't understand much of it, but it worked. But this Prodigy thing is all Greek to me. And what is the sonic benefit or is there one? I looked at the mixer/control panel on their site and it seemed to have a bunch of extra stuff I'd never use. Would hate to kill my $26 sound card
icon10.gif

Mar 14, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjonno /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Foobar is set to DirectSound 2.0 because, sample rate auto is checked, but above that it says "sample rate state current 96000 Hz" Does that mean anything or is it just garbage?

Are you referring to the Audio Deck? If you're not in the hi-sample rate mode, it shouldn't even be able to output 96 kHz. If it's a CD or MP3, it should be playing back at 44100 Hz.

Edit: Unless the sound card is receiving a 96000 Hz signal from Foobar.

Mar 14, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #20 of 25
yes, audio deck. I'm playing a flac file that was ripped from a CD . AFAIK it's 44.1 here's a screen shot:
aud-deck.jpg

BTW, note that the vu meters are way off even tho the sound is balanced.

Mar 14, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #21 of 25
Oh... 451c really is different from 473b. I'm not familiar with the Vinyl Audio version of the drivers. Instead of Automatic, try 44100 for the sample rate. Also, make sure you're not upsampling/resampling with Foobar under the DSP menu. KS should work at 44100 Hz if everything's properly set up.

Mar 14, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #22 of 25
No kidding? Huh. It's still called Audio Deck in Programs. I'm starting to wonder if 473b looks just like 500b and that I was actually installing it the whole time? Can you tell me what your driver numbers are on the info panel? Mine is now 5.12.01.3645 In 473b I had 3647 and in 550b 3650. But whenever I installed 473b it looked and acted exactly like 500b; I was unable to select a sample rate.

Mar 14, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #23 of 25
Craptastic!!! I'm totally dorkaphonic. OK. I have the 473b driver in for real this time. And this time I was finally able to get the sampling on auto and it correctly set itself to 44.1. And I had access to KS for the first time until the modem wiped it out. I guess going from an older version did the trick. I appreciate everyone's input on this.

Mar 14, 2007 at 7:55 AM Post #24 of 25
Sweet! Sounds like everything's working exactly right. Yeah, all of the Audio Decks look the same from 473b on up, so it's understandable.

Here's my AV-710 anecdote:

I purchased the AV-710 for my girlfriend's computer and ran it using hi-sample rate and used Foobar's upsampling plug-ins (tried PPHS, SRC, and SSRC) to get the signal to 96 kHz. It sounded good, but a little overaccentuated in the treble frequencies. Plus, the sound would randomly cut out and go silent when nothing but Foobar was running, and sometimes during games. I chalked it up to the card trying to upsample everything to 96 kHz, including DirectSound output. After reverting to the 473b drivers and turning off upsampling plug-ins, all of the problems vanished and the frequency response sounded much more neutral and natural.

Mar 14, 2007 at 7:57 AM Post #25 of 25
grats...now its time to get rid of that 56k mo-dum and get High Speed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back