Unimpressed by D2000...is something wrong?
May 30, 2008 at 7:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

psycovic23

New Head-Fier
Hey,
So I had Sennheiser HD280s for about 2 years, and I just recently took my first dive into the high end with some Denon D2000. I got them and have put about 20 hours into them so far, but I'm starting get paranoid because they don't sound THAT much better than the HD280s (definitely bigger soundstage and bass though). I have them hooked up to the only amp I have (NAD 314) which is connected to my laptop. Should I expect that much to change in the next 80 hours of use? Or is it just the lack of a headphone amp that's making it not sound as good?

May 30, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #2 of 15
My experience is that they sound good just out of the box then after a few hours of burn-in they go through a large period (well over 100 hours) of instability to then after that (close to 200 hours) they sound great.

They do not sound as good as the D5000 but they are a lot cheaper.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
May 30, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #3 of 15
You have to go the "extra mile" with them, which means:

1. 400+ hrs of burn in,
2. An amp with low impedance, and huge amounts of current (e.g. X-CANv8, etc.).
3. And a good SS CDP (Marantz SA-8001, etc.).

Only then will they sound up to their capability, which is pretty good - but, I'm still not sure they're better than my modded "new" HD580s.

May 30, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #4 of 15
I've found that only in the last week or two have I really started to love mine, after owning them about 2 months. Definite extended break in period on them.

May 30, 2008 at 11:52 PM Post #6 of 15
if you think you're source/amp might be making the d2000 sound like crap, try it on a portable (ipod/etc) and see if you still think it sucks.

also, listen for more than a couple days to make a real decision on it. if you still think it sucks, maybe it's just not for you =D

May 31, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #7 of 15
I'd agree... if you're unwilling to invest in a high quality source... and amp... you might as well sell them and move on to some other phones, which are less demanding... because you'll never be pleased with them until you do. And... even then...

May 31, 2008 at 12:27 AM Post #8 of 15
You need a good headphone output stage to drive high output power cans like the D2000. Your NAD is unlikely to be pushing more than 500mW through some large resistors to the cans, whilst they are rated at 1800mW. The large resistors affect the sound terribly, and the cans are only getting a fraction of what they need in order to show their best. The reason your HD580 also sounded the same is because both sets of cans are having to cope with the same issues affecting the sound from the NAD headphone output.

May 31, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #9 of 15
I don't think there is anything "wrong" here, I just think the D2000 are not very good cans and you do not have an amp to drive them particularly well. Stick with something more sensitive and easier to drive.

May 31, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #10 of 15
I would have to agree with the OP because I've had my d2000 for about 4 months or maybe more and they do some thing well but I feel like the music just doesn't move me and its a big concern and what I'm useing is Mini3 set for high impendence. even thought bass is good I feel like the rest of the spectrum is not being potrayed as I expected.

May 31, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigizzy75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would have to agree with the OP because I've had my d2000 for about 4 months or maybe more and they do some thing well but I feel like the music just doesn't move me and its a big concern and what I'm useing is Mini3 set for high impendence. even thought bass is good I feel like the rest of the spectrum is not being potrayed as I expected.

I'm probably way off but isn't the D2000 only 32ohm?

If so I'd assume you want to use any amp in low gain mode.

May 31, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think there is anything "wrong" here, I just think the D2000 are not very good cans and you do not have an amp to drive them particularly well. Stick with something more sensitive and easier to drive.

X2, I was not impressed at all with the D5000 neither, recabled and stock, both show me not what I was expecting, hope those modded by Mark will sound different, but very different...Otherwise IMO they are very far from the R-10 in my scale of values...If you like the Senns why not trying the HD595, that is easier to drive...

May 31, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bencrest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm probably way off but isn't the D2000 only 32ohm?

If so I'd assume you want to use any amp in low gain mode.

I seem to remember reading 25 ohms somewhere.

May 31, 2008 at 9:37 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigizzy75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

would you say the d2000 sounds boring?
Just curious...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back