Unhappy with Triple.fi...
Feb 14, 2008 at 1:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

sxr71

1000+ Head-Fier
I bought these to tide me over while I get my ER-4S repaired. I initially loved the bass and the clarity of sound of these, but over time I realized that these phones IMHO really don't do mids justice.

I will say that these do the best job of giving you a lot of bass without muddying up the mids, but they need EQ to bring out the mids IMHO. I don't mind the highs as they are but the lack of mids is really making me unhappy.

This was made clear to me after listening to the same music using my AKG K701s, which really hand you the mids on a silver platter IMHO. I haven't heard my ER-4S in a while since they are broken, but my memories of the ER-4S make me miss those more than anything else.

I have read in passing here on Head-Fi that I am not the only one with this impression of the Triple.Fi. I realize these are aimed at the portable audiophile market, but to me they seem like they were desinged to satisfy the closet bass head "audiophile." Do I have a defective pair?

Feb 14, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #3 of 13
It's possibly a fit problem. Which tips are you using? I wasn't satisfied by mids either, at least using triflanges. Mids become very good (present and clear) when you use foam tips, tho.

Feb 14, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's possibly a fit problem. Which tips are you using? I wasn't satisfied by mids either, at least using triflanges. Mids become very good (present and clear) when you use foam tips, tho.

I use only the foam tips (don't get me started on the pain of using those - still much less than using the silicone flanges), and I think you may be right about fit. Sometimes I feel that the even the foam tips can block the sound from one of the outlets. I will try again. There really needs to be some other solution with these because they are very rarely comfortable and isolation is nearly non-existent relative to ER-4S. I am beginning to feel that the ER-4S + LaRocco PR-II bottom octave slight bass boost is the gold standard for portable listening.

Feb 14, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #5 of 13
I understand. Larocco PRII (and its bass knob) applied to ER4S has to be something really awesome. You might want to try the UE11 for ultimate sound, but they are really expensive and I'm not sure they would be as good regarding sound/cost ratio.

Feb 14, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want present and buttery mids go for the E500/SE530. These won't have the highs of the Etys though.

I think you're right. I tried the SE420 since I was able to walk in and buy them at an Apple Store. They didn't "wow" me, but I do remember that they did have sweet mids. I returned them after buying the Triple.Fi, precisely because they didn't "wow" me. I don't think I gave them a fair shot maybe. I think I was inherently biased against them because they were not the SE530 and thus not the flagship of the Shure line. I think I might have to try the SE530.

Feb 14, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand. Larocco PRII (and its bass knob) applied to ER4S has to be something really awesome. You might want to try the UE11 for ultimate sound, but they are really expensive and I'm not sure they would be as good regarding sound/cost ratio.

I will try to get a better fit with the Triple.Fi, if I can't I will sell those and buy a second pair of ER-4S. You can't have too many!

Feb 14, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #8 of 13
Indeed. How's harsness with old recordings when using the Larocco PRII?

Feb 14, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by sxr71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will try to get a better fit with the Triple.Fi, if I can't I will sell those and buy a second pair of ER-4S. You can't have too many!

Get the SE530/E500, I'm glad I did. I also have the Ety ER-4P/4S but I listen to my E500 most of the time. I like the warmer sound and the deeper bass of the Shures. I can listen to the E500s for much longer periods than I can to the 4S/4P.

Feb 14, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #10 of 13
I think I may be one of those who gave you a recommendation to try the Triple.fi. I have a couple of suggestions if you don't mind. Of course, if you really don't like the sound, then there's no reason to force yourself to like it or find other excuses for why the Triple.fi doesn't live up to your standards.

First, is this your first time using Ultimate Ears products? If so, please read the instruction manual on how to insert them. Make sure you put it in your ear sideways and then "twist" them up to the normal listening position. This, if done right, is the best way to guarantee a good fit with ultimate ears. I was at first VERY disappointed with universal ultimate ears products because I couldn't get a good fit, isolation, or sound. Then I found out about the twist method and they became much more bearable.

Feb 14, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guarneri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course, if you really don't like the sound, then there's no reason to force yourself to like it or find other excuses for why the Triple.fi doesn't live up to your standards.

Yar, she speaks truth. I did that with my super.fi 5 Pro and K701, hoping that I'd like them someday, but in the end I accepted that they just weren't for me (the sound signature, but fit had issues too), and by the time I sold them here on Head-Fi, their prices dropped significantly (like, $100+).

Feb 14, 2008 at 11:58 AM Post #12 of 13
And you should really try the Shure Black Olive Foams. The seal will become uncompareable better.

Feb 14, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #13 of 13
The gripe about the mids is understandable but I got use to it. TFP does so much else so well.

The rolled off highs of the SE530 bothered me more than the recessed mids of TFP..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back